German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BergerPicard.jpg

I met them at an AKC "Meet the Breeds" event. They are pretty rare in the US, as my research has told me, but I wonder if anyone has met one before?

I am likely getting a GSD as my second dog, but my interest was piqued by these... they are like huge terriers! Such a cool look to them! Their breed description reminds me of a GSD somewhat.

Riley is my husband's first GSD, but he has fallen so hard no other breed will do now! He won't even consider anything else! (I don't think i necessarily end up with something other than a GSD, but I look for fun... he won't even humor it!)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have not met one myself. But I did read a bit about them at one time. People ask me if I have one of those Winn Dixie dogs. Well, they did before Balto's full coat came in.

They are an old herding breed and I gather are great family dogs, much like the Laekenois. And, of course, all the traits that make herding dogs intelligent and obedient.

They only resemble terriers. Their coat looks like it's much softer. But people think Balto looks like a terrier, anyway.

Seems like once people find a breed they love, be it GSD, Belgians, Berger Picard, or whatever, they pretty much stick with it.
Plus these rare breeds are difficult to locate when you decide you want one. I can't tell you how many puppy lists I've been on for Laekenois.

http://www.bergerpicardclubofamerica.com/

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy Plus these rare breeds are difficult to locate when you decide you want one. I can't tell you how many puppy lists I've been on for Laekenois.
there happens to be a breeder right here in NJ, although its southern Jersey so its a good 2.5-3 hr drive from me. Could be worse though!! that is just too tempting to me though!! (lol)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: Wayne02How about the Beauceron as an interesting rare breed?

Beauceron
I saw them at the Meet the Breeds too! Remind me of a pinscher, sort of. Very interesting, indeed. Never knew one of those either!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: SambaI was reading about them recently as I am getting older and keep thinking I will need a smaller breed some day. I thought they looked interesting.

I am really drawn to the Pyrenean Shepherds. So cute! I like the look of a Briard.... but could have a small one, sorta!

http://images.google.com/images?q=pyrene...ved=0CBIQsAQwAA
HAHA totally! never seen them before, although the "smooth faced" one looks like a mixed breed i once knew

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wayne02How about the Beauceron as an interesting rare breed?

Beauceron
Looked at these, also. Major drawback for me is that the are large. Also, many are bred with drive for working. But, I do know somebody who has one from a breeder in Ohio. She said she had a heck of a time with him as a puppy and had to go to a trainer. But when I met him, he sure seemed like a
cat.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: sprzybyl
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy Plus these rare breeds are difficult to locate when you decide you want one. I can't tell you how many puppy lists I've been on for Laekenois.
there happens to be a breeder right here in NJ, although its southern Jersey so its a good 2.5-3 hr drive from me. Could be worse though!! that is just too tempting to me though!! (lol)
3 hours drive is nothing! Heck, I've gone farther to find shows for Balto's CD. I think you should get one.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyhe sure seemed like a
cat.
Okay, I wasn't swearing. I guess I could have typed "sweet heart".

Tweetie Bird would have a difficult time in this forum.
LOL i was like... what kind of cat?! is that a good thing? haha

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy
3 hours drive is nothing! Heck, I've gone farther to find shows for Balto's CD. I think you should get one.
It's true... i drove 8 hours (one way) up to niagra falls for Riley!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've always loved this breed and like to watch them (stalk them, lol) at the big UKC events. I don't like *any* other breed with this type of coat but for some reason I love the Picardy Shepherds.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI've always loved this breed and like to watch them (stalk them, lol) at the big UKC events. I don't like *any* other breed with this type of coat but for some reason I love the Picardy Shepherds.
any particular breeder come to mind?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Everyone always thought my dog was one and would call her Winn Dixie. These aren't very good pictures, so it's hard to tell from these pics. I haven't met a purebred, but I loved the one(s) in Winn Dixie (the movie)!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: sprzybyl
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI've always loved this breed and like to watch them (stalk them, lol) at the big UKC events. I don't like *any* other breed with this type of coat but for some reason I love the Picardy Shepherds.
any particular breeder come to mind?
I didn't know enough to ask and I looked for them again this past summer but could not find them
I'll look again next time! There weren't any showing a few weeks ago when I showed my dog.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw this picture of one from behind and it reminded me of Riley if we don't brush her coat for a few days, lol

in all seriousness, some of them sort of look shepherdy... maybe i just like having head turners

1 - 20 of 20 Posts