German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: Tilden eats about 3 cups of Canidae ALS a day except for 2-4 raw days per week. He generally poops twice a day, just your typical smallish dog poop. Yesterday was no different - ate his kibble at the usual times, pooped his usual poo.

Issue: This morning I woke up to an "accident" in the house (Tilden is 110% housebroken for the record). His poop was half solid / half formed but the size of a horse pile! It was also lighter than usual and had a "sweetish" smell so I wasnt even sure which end it came from at first. I let him out and he immediately ran to go potty again - same thing - a half/half horse pile!. If i could guess it looked like he'd eliminated 2 days worth of food in one.

Note: He did eat one very small raw chicken leg yesterday around 3pm, but this is the 3rd piece from that particular batch that I had frozen, so I doubt highly that it was bad. Also, Gia's fine.

So... any takers? sounds weird eh?

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, fortunately he spent all but an hour with me yesterday. I'm just wondering if he has some sort of reserve stomach thats been getting backed up... lol-ish.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
When Gracie was on Canidae ALS she had HUGE poos. A friend asked me, jokingly, if she was a GSD or a Clysdale when he saw her poo!!!! Granted, she was diagnosed with SIBO while on this food but MAN the pile was massive!! It is much better now but she is on a different food.

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've heard that from other people as well, tho i havent experienced the issue. tilden has been on it for 9 months and i'd fed it for 3yrs prior with the other dogs.

i just went in the backyard and he's running around all crazy - i figure it must be nice to drop 3lbs instantly like that. geez.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Oh, I love this. I get to cite my favorite website ever:

Studying Stools

Also, I did a quick overall search and sweet smelling stools is usually due to undigested lactose, or too much starch/sugar in the GI tract (which may mean that it's been there a day or a couple...).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts