German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Canidae all life stages multi protein was the 1st food I fed my pup since I brought him home. It's a high quality product for sure, nutritionally dense. However ate it but never really loved the taste. But it's nice product for sure.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
You can do better, and you can do worse IMHO.

However unless you have a dog with allergies, I would NOT feed a limited-ingredient diet, much less a grain-free one. It's marketing hype and a way to sell you something for more money. Feeding an assortment of proteins would be better for a non-allergy dog, and unless there's a grain allergy, there's no reason to pay more to avoid it. Here's why:

This "grain free" diet contains peas, potatoes AND sweet potatoes -- so you're probbly not actually getting more meat, you're just subbing out highly digestible starches like rice and oats for less digestible ones that are under FDA warning due to suspicion that they may block taurine absorption and thus cause DCM in some dogs (please see our mega thread on the FDA warning about that to educate yourself on that issue -- that thread is a real gold mine of good info). Worse, peas contain protein so having them in means some percent of the protein is from plant sources, not meat.

I keep repeating this: kibble HAS TO BE approx. 40% or more starch for the kibble extrusion machines to work, and grain-free is made on those same machines. All kibble is thus by definition starch based. So it's silly to pay more for grain-free starches. If you don't want to feed starch-based food, feed a fresh raw, home cooked or other meat-based non-kibble diet.

If you like the company, just feed their all life stages grain-in food and use the money you save to buy some meat toppers or treats. Do note that it still contains peas though. I'm not a fan of theirs because over the years they showed me a lack of transparency that aggravated me when I asked them questions, but you may have had a different experience (I crossed them off my list many years ago due to their rep's unwillingness to answer questions, so I haven't had recent dealings with them -- try contacting them and see if they'll answer questions about ingredient sourcing, China ingredients, manufacturing control, etc.)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can do better, and you can do worse.

However unless you have a dog with allergies, I would NOT feed a limited ingredient diet, much less a grain-free one. It's marketing hype and a rip off. Feeding an assortment of proteins would be better for a non-allergy dog, and unless there's a grain allergy, there's no reason to pay more to avoid it. Here's why:

This "grain free" diet contains peas, potatoes AND sweet potatoes -- so you're not getting more meat, you're just subbing out highly digestible starches like rice and oats for less digestible ones that are under FDA warning due to suspicion that they may block taurine absorption and thus cause DCM in some dogs (please see our mega thread on the FDA warning about that to educate yourself on that issue -- that thread is a real gold mine of good info).

I keep repeating this: kibble HAS TO BE approx. 40% or more starch for the kibble extrusion machines to work, and grain-free is made on those same machines. All kibble is thus by definition starch based. So it's silly to pay more for grain-free starches. If you don't want to feed starch-based food, feed a fresh raw, home cooked or other meat-based non-kibble diet.

If you like the company, just feed their all life stages grain-in food and use the money you save to buy some meat toppers or treats. Do note that it still contains peas though. I'm not a fan of theirs because over the years they showed me a lack of transparency that aggravated me when I asked them questions, but you may have had a different experience.
Thanks. I'm trying to firm up Remi's output. It seems that the food I have him on has had a batch here and there that doesn't agree with him. Very noticeable as soon as I started a new bag. Ordered a new bag hoping it would be a different batch, but it is the same batch. Tried Victor hi pro, but even at 25% new it gave him terrible runs. Had heard Sky was a good food...so was willing to try it. If this keeps up I will have to buy a freezer and go raw. Getting tired of poor guy having issues.

He has been getting about 1600 cal a day, with most kibble that would mean about 4 cups a day. Current food he gets 3 cups a day.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I think it is a good food for people looking to stay in a certain price range, but many foods are better and worse.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had my dogs on the Pure Sky formula for a while but I still had some problems with my itchy girl and loose bms with my older guy so changed to Canine Caviar. It's a limited diet of chicken and millet so if you don't need that it may not work for you. But it fixed the itchies and soft stool and worked great for my 3 older dogs. I'm doing Victor for the younger ones.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I feed Canidae ALS to my dogs and have been happy with it. Maybe you could feed better- but the ingredients are quality and my dogs are healthy. To feed better, I'd have to feed humanely raised, organic, all American sourced food, and that's way beyond my budget.

The calorie content per cup is higher than most similar or 'better' foods. Plus, I get one free bag for every five I buy, and the price point for the 'big bag' fits my budget.

I don't feed grain free because I have no reason- my dogs don't have grain allergies. If I needed to feed a denser, high calorie food, I'd go with the performance formula Diamond Naturals, or Dr. Tim's Pursuit.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at Sky since I had heard good things about it and it is calorie dense. He does not require LID as far as I know.

So, Sky is out. Victor hi pro is out. I don't have feed grain free, I'm open to other suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Why not try one of The Honest Kitchen Base Mixes mixed with fresh meat?

This has straightened out many dog's guts.

The Base Mix does not contain grains but it would be worth a box to see if it helps your dog!

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dehydrated-grain-free-fruit-and-veggie-base-mix
or
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dehydrated-grain-free-veggie-nut-and-seed-base-mix

Have you tried Digested Enzymes (helps assimilate the food) and Probiotics (puts the good bacteria in the gut)?

Fromm's is also a good food.

Moms :)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not try one of The Honest Kitchen Base Mixes mixed with fresh meat?

This has straightened out many dog's guts.

The Base Mix does not contain grains but it would be worth a box to see if it helps your dog!

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dehydrated-grain-free-fruit-and-veggie-base-mix
or
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dehydrated-grain-free-veggie-nut-and-seed-base-mix

Have you tried Digested Enzymes (helps assimilate the food) and Probiotics (puts the good bacteria in the gut)?

Fromm's is also a good food.

Never thought of of Honestkitchen really. Not sure their price point. He gets enzymes and probiotics every meal.

He was on Fromm as a puppy and it was great...till I had to feed him 6-7 cups a day to keep weight on him. That's when I switched to Dr. Tim's Momentum.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Never thought of of Honestkitchen really. Not sure their price point. He gets enzymes and probiotics every meal.

You may need to try changing your Digestive Enzyme and Probiotic.

Yes, THK products do cost a little more but most people who give it a go for about 6 weeks find that it is worth it in the end..(no pun intended! LOL)

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
If you can afford raw and have the time and space that would be my go to. I'm in Canada and I can barely afford to feed me meat, never mind the dog, lol.
I still like First Mate, and will always recommend it first. It's good food from a good company. I have the problem child here and their food has been a life saver for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,329 Posts
I changed my cattledog to Canidae Pure Land Bison (LID) after the bad stuff that went down with Natural Balance earlier this year. She'd been doing well on NB's Bison LID formula, and transitioned easily to Canidae's equivalent.

Her output is good, skin stays clear, no itching. The price point for Canidae is what I'd consider fair, and equally important it's always in stock. Every bag of Canidae has been consistent, unlike SDF and other companies that seem to enjoy changing formulas and pieces sizes on a whim without warning.....

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked out the HK...a 10 lb box has 40 cups of dry food. That amounts to 2 boxes a month, about $110.

I will experiment with some other brands of kibble.

What do you guys know about Annamaet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts