German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started feeding my dogs Sojos dog food. It looks rather like oatmeal, and you mix in water, your own raw meat and other goodies. I would be interested to see what other Sojo users add to the mix. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I fed the veggie mix at one point to my senior male who was getting to be a fussy eater,,he LOVED it, I added all kinds of stuff to it,,usually cooked with non fat chicken broth, added raw, brown rice, liked the food, good stuff

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've thought about using Sojos also! Hopefully more people will post their opinions :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I used to use it quite a few years ago...at the time I fed it to my Jack Russell Terrier. I mixed it with raw ground beef, if I remember correctly. My dog loved it! I like how easy it was to prepare, and it was my first adventure into "raw" feeding. I do remember that I had trouble with mold, though. The food is completely natural and I stored it in a large coffee can, one day when I opened it up to mix up a new batch, it was rather moldy. I tossed it out, but cannot blame Sojo's, I believe it was how I stored it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been mixing with elk, turkey, or occasionaly canned sardines or salmon. I add for extras plain yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, green beans, pumpkin, or bananas. I also sprinkle a bit of garlic powder. Are canned green beans ok? Fresh is hard to obtain here all the time. Any other ideas on stuff to add?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I woud use frozen green beans rather than canned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why is it a total waste? I would be very interested to hear more info on it. My breeder and I were discussing Frankie's diet the other day, he is on a raw diet BTW, and she suggested that I replace one of his meals with Sojo's and keep the other meal the same RMB/MM/OM ration. She said he would get a more balanced diet as far as nutrition that way. She brought this up because she said he was not getting enough vegetables as it is right now.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Why is it a total waste? I would be very interested to hear more info on it. My breeder and I were discussing Frankie's diet the other day, he is on a raw diet BTW, and she suggested that I replace one of his meals with Sojo's and keep the other meal the same RMB/MM/OM ration. She said he would get a more balanced diet as far as nutrition that way. She brought this up because she said he was not getting enough vegetables as it is right now.
Veggies do provide fiber, carbs, vitamins & minerals and phytochemicals but you would be better off buying frozen corn, peas & carrots or kale and giving that to the dog. I cant see spending money on that kind of product. Gimmick. Kelp is probably the best to feed and its dirt cheap at an asian market.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We had tried to feed him a few different leafy greens, green beans, and carrots but he wont eat them. I pureed them a bit in the food processor with water or yogurt or steamed them, to break down the cell walls, and mixed it in with his food but he would always eat around it. She said that her dogs ate this like candy so I thought that perhaps it would be worth a shot. She is letting us buy it at her reduced breeder rate. If it is not a substantial amount of nutrients though we wont waste our time. I looked at the ingredients and it seems to have some good stuff in there...

Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Celery, Apples, Whole Egg, Flax Meal, Parsley Leaf, Calcium Carbonate, Carob Powder, Kelp Powder, Alfalfa, Ginger Root, Garlic

If I could get my hands on some green tripe this wouldn't be an issue! She said they need 25% of their diet to consist of fruits and vegetables if on a raw diet. I was under the impression this was not true.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
We had tried to feed him a few different leafy greens, green beans, and carrots but he wont eat them. I pureed them a bit in the food processor with water or yogurt or steamed them, to break down the cell walls, and mixed it in with his food but he would always eat around it. She said that her dogs ate this like candy so I thought that perhaps it would be worth a shot. She is letting us buy it at her reduced breeder rate. If it is not a substantial amount of nutrients though we wont waste our time. I looked at the ingredients and it seems to have some good stuff in there...

Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Celery, Apples, Whole Egg, Flax Meal, Parsley Leaf, Calcium Carbonate, Carob Powder, Kelp Powder, Alfalfa, Ginger Root, Garlic

If I could get my hands on some green tripe this wouldn't be an issue! She said they need 25% of their diet to consist of fruits and vegetables if on a raw diet. I was under the impression this was not true.
The kelp and flax are the most important things in that, frankly Nupro might be better as a supplement for a raw fed dog. You already have fresh eggs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts