German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3yr old that has been on a 1/2 raw 1/2 kibble diet since the age of 7 mths. He typically eats raw one meal and kibble for the other meal. I never combine the two. He has never been very food motivated, but lately since turning 3 yrs old he seems to be not that interested in eating. Foods that he use to love, like turkey necks, he will no longer touch. He use to love Victor and Zignature and now would rather go 24 hrs without food than eat either one. I believe he is just getting picky since he has no problem eating chicken breast that I have cooked for myself. However it does seem that he gets diarrhea more lately.

I have been looking into Dr Gary's Best Breed and I really like that it was formulated by a vet, produced in small batches using slower, lower temperatures to better preserve the health benefits, small family owned and operated in Ohio and one of the best parts for me is that it is EU rated which is hard to find in the states. They also use green lipped mussel in all their formulas along with kelp. Wondering if anyone has tried this food and how it worked for your pups

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just bought a bag of it myself but have not yet started them on it. I add a lot of extra protein like beef, chicken and eggs so I was looking for a decent basic grain in pea free kibble as a base that mine would like. They've also gotten picky. It'll be interesting to see how your guy and mine do on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which formula did you purchase? I was considering the Salmon since he is also very itchy right now. Probably more from seasonal allergies but this will be a good indicator if it is really that or food related. He is a long coat and this time of year is hard on him.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
after all the hysteria going on about grain free - and seeing that the formula of the food I have been feeding for 12 plus years changed and peas were the second ingredient - I started looking at other foods.....I put the dogs on Dr Gary's GSD formula for about 2.5 months........the biggest issue I saw was huge immense piles of feces.......HUGE.........so that means lots of waste.....

Currently trying to figure out what to feed again

Lee

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I've fed Dr. Gary's Best Breed working dog formula for years -- close to 10 years. I have it shipped to me 120 lbs at a time. because that's the storage capacity I have and that lasts about 6 weeks with two dogs.

I've not considered any other formula.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also thought about purchasing the German but decided on the Salmon because of his itching. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. He can be picky at times about fish, won't eat frozen raw at all, so we shall see, lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
after all the hysteria going on about grain free - and seeing that the formula of the food I have been feeding for 12 plus years changed and peas were the second ingredient - I started looking at other foods.....I put the dogs on Dr Gary's GSD formula for about 2.5 months........the biggest issue I saw was huge immense piles of feces.......HUGE.........so that means lots of waste.....
I used Dr. Gary's (several formulas) and the dogs did well on it until Dr. Gary's caved into the corn-is-evil crowd and replaced the corn in their foods with oats. Result: I never cleaned up so many enormous piles of dog poop in my life before. This has consistently happened with my GSDs when I feed food with lots of oats in it, but Dr. Gary's was the worst. It might be fine for other dogs.

I've seen so many dogs do badly on highly touted dog foods that looked great that I learned the hard way that the only thing to pay attention to is how the dog does on the food. I don't care whether it's an expensive prescription diet or Purina. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My GSDs have done great on The German Formula and the Salmon Formula. It's a great basic and affordable food to add things to like extra meat, eggs, etc.which I do. They like it and bms are good.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
I just started on a food called Blackwood through Chewy....and the ginormous piles and reingesting have faded away thank goodness!

Lee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts