German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people on here have purebreds but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dog DNA tests and if you were happy with the results or not. I've heard mixed reviews about them and am dying to know for sure what my GSD is mixed with

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
DNA testing is not a job for dog trainers, I doubt you will find the person you are looking for. Lacking database, it is too expensive to run it just to find predisessors in a family tree of one single dog. If it concerns the whole line in breeding, probably then they run it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DNA testing is not a job for dog trainers, I doubt you will find the person you are looking for. Lacking database, it is too expensive to run it just to find predisessors in a family tree of one single dog. If it concerns the whole line in breeding, probably then they run it.
I know it's nobody's job to DNA test a dog I'm wondering if anyone ever used it for their owns pet or have experience with it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
This blog post might be of interest to you: Analyzing the Analysis: Wisdom Panel DNA Tests & Mixed-Breed Dogs TheOtherEndoftheLeash

I think it's a very thoughtful and informative discussion of the current abilities and limitations of the technology. The comments are also worth reading, as is often the case with Dr. McConnell's blog.

The test does appear to be a good bit more accurate than I had previously thought -- a few years ago this stuff was generally considered to be a joke, but it looks like the tech has gotten substantially better than it was in the early days. Still, it has some significant limitations.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had my Indy (my avatar) tested in May 2008 when the science was still a little iffy. It was about $100 at the time and I have easily had thousands of dollars of fun with it. Click here to see my "Bichon mix". http://shar.es/wQNtK :rofl:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Let's put it this way... according to the DNA profile on this dog, she is mostly Bulldog, with some Italian Greyhound, and a dash each American Staffordshire Terrier and Collie.

Yeah, Bulldog. Seriously? :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
This blog post might be of interest to you: Analyzing the Analysis: Wisdom Panel DNA Tests & Mixed-Breed Dogs TheOtherEndoftheLeash

I think it's a very thoughtful and informative discussion of the current abilities and limitations of the technology. The comments are also worth reading, as is often the case with Dr. McConnell's blog.

The test does appear to be a good bit more accurate than I had previously thought -- a few years ago this stuff was generally considered to be a joke, but it looks like the tech has gotten substantially better than it was in the early days. Still, it has some significant limitations.
That was a really good article... now I want to do it :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts