German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was posting about possible puppy pyderma or flea bite allergy.
Well I applied witch hazel on the bumps and shortly after they were lighter in color. Went for a walk, bam! a bunch of new bumps bright red. The only thing that I can see could be a problem is no-see-ums and they crawl all over his belly and try to dig into his fur to get to the skin! It's crazy. Do dogs really have reaction to them like humans and if so is there ANY at all any safe repellent safe for dogs? I take Zeus on walk in the morning and evening during the prime bug time. It's my only choice. Not sure how to help him or what to do?

Weird that this started a couple of weeks ago and they did not bother him as much before.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It seems your pup does though that could be caused by the fleas. I am assuming you are using a flea/tick repellant like Frontline or Advantage. I do know from my own personal experience (my dog was never bothered by them) that those nasty bites do get worse a week later and witch hazel or aloe gel doesn't help. I used a cortizone cream but I don't know if that can be used on pups . I would check with the vet.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep using all the flea stuff and I occasionally find a flea on him. I have found flea dust clump, but no bumps under those. Just seams like too many little bumps for a flea =( This poor pup! I did call the vet to ask if there is any repellent we can try. Just waiting for a call back.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yep using all the flea stuff and I occasionally find a flea on him. I have found flea dust clump, but no bumps under those. Just seams like too many little bumps for a flea =( This poor pup! I did call the vet to ask if there is any repellent we can try. Just waiting for a call back.
You could try dusting him/her with diatomaceous earth (DE). I've done that to mine a time or two and it seems to work. Make sure to use the food grade DE if you try it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I too use frontline plus (gotta love costco 6 treatments for $69.99, ), but have found during the summer months fleas and ticks get worse. I have to stay on the ball with the treatments, washing bedding and toys and yard spray. (ive been told I could buy flea spray for couches and mattresses but I hate to use so much chemicals and have found its not really necessary once I kill the fleas in the yard) When I do this I dont have any flea and tick problems at all and my sensitive shih tzu doesnt have any issues with hot spots of flea allergies.

let us know what your vet says about other treatments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts