German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not for now, but we expect to have a second GSD in maybe 1 or 2 years.

After having a bad experience with our breeder here, and knowing Quebec's breeder are not very good, we thought we should go in Europe and select a dog there. I think they have a lot of different breeders and a pure breed GSD directly form Germany seems very interesting for us. I already made a few searches on the breeders in France and Germany, which are good and which are not.

Is anyone here already did the expérience? How does it works?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

After having a bad experience with our breeder here, and knowing Quebec's breeder are not very good, we thought we should go in Europe and select a dog there. I think they have a lot of different breeders and a pure breed GSD directly form Germany seems very interesting for us. I already made a few searches on the breeders in France and Germany, which are good and which are not.

I think, generally, you will get less support from a "good" breeder in Europe. They don't offer health guarantees or fancy contracts...it's kind of an in and out service from what I've reserached on the subject. Which is not good or bad, just not what you're going to get in the US or Canada. Some people like it...some people don't.

I've heard a lot of people getting taken by breeders in Europe because of the distance and language barriers. Obviously that can happen here VERY easily, but obviously not being fluent in German could have an impact on how well you can research the breeder.

I looked a lot at some different breeders in Europe and at the end of the day I wasn't sure I was ready to make that leap because of the differences.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I don't think you need to go as far as Germany or France for a breeder. There may not be any good breeders in Quebec, but I am sure there are some in other areas of Canada, and in the United States. Some very good breeders in Michigan (and some not so good), for example. You will more likely get the support you lacked with your breeder from a North American breeder, rather than a European one.

And I wouldn't rely on internet searches alone to decide if a breeder was good or bad, would want to have some feedback from a variety of puppy owners from the breeders you are considering.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We went to scotland to find our line.But stroke of fate lead us back to New York because the male was being shown there to get his championship and to promote his kennel lines.He has since gone back home.Over all we've had a good experience with it.A good kennel will generally set up all the details and paper work that is needed for shipping a pup to a different country.Quarantine laws are different from country to country.Canadas are pretty lax compareds to lets say New Zealand because of the rabies issue.We got acero with no fuss and processed quite quickly.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I imported mine and have no problems doing it again. Matter of fact I have a few breeders in czech replublic and slovakia who I would love to get a dog from.

Funny thing is that for some odd reason breeders in the U.S. charge more than breeders in Europe.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts

Trish, it all comes down to the breeder. Breeding in Germany is very different from Breeding in the US.

As for health guarantees, yes not every breeder is giving you health guarantees like they do in the US but if you have a good breeder on your hand he will give you either your money back or get you another puppy. My breeder is from Austria. I just love him. I have great support. Can call him anytime I want. If it turns out that Indra or Judge have HD, I'd get another dog from him.

As in the US there are a lot of breeders that are bad apples. Some breeders could be called "quality puppy mills". They pump out pup after pup, however they follow the health requirements since it's law in Germany and in order for them to make money they have to follow the rules to make the money.

I know a lot of breeders over there. Small breeders that are very responsible and will support you for the rest of your dogs life. If you want a dog from Germany I'd go with a small working dog breeder. A breeder that has one or two litters per year and is not all about the money. Those people care about their customers and the dogs they bred. They usually are on facebook too and love to see pics and videos. Just like my breeder.

Don't go via a broker. They charge big money and you don't know what you get.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I imported two.

Balto was shipped over from Sweden by his breeder using an animal transport service.

Boaz was picked up by me in the Netherlands and flew in the cabin. Though, I don't know if an 8 week old GSD puppy will met the weight limits for flying in the cabin.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I imported one from the Riverside Animal Shelter. Took 3 days to get her.

Although I think they lied... she doesn't speak German.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have an import and I got him from a local breeder who happens to be German and has ties to Germany. I'd rather do that than go straight to a European breeder. It's a crap shoot, though. Get lots of references. Good luck in your endeavor.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My dog's trainer just got another dog from Germany last week. This time it was a Great Dane. He said they had offered the health guarantee and he was really impressed with the shipping. He said the pup came in clean , not anything but pee in the crate. The pup had missed the first flight because he had gone poop in the crate so the caretakers cleaned him up and sent him on the next flight.
The puppy looks very happy.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank to all!! I know a couple of friends who imported their female GSD from Europe, Cité des Loups gris. a gorgeous female name Elle.

Here is the website: La Cité des Loups Gris, Elevage de Berger Allemand de Travail, Berger Allemand Gris.

I really love their dogs....how they look and Elle is a very healthy dog also.

They had all the guarantees coming with the pupp. They went in Europe to bring back the pupp...I think I'll do the same :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts