German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 10wk old GSD ignores me completely over my 3 year old Boston Terrier. It's not just normal "I'm a puppy, this is super fun playing, so I'm not going to listen" It's more like she think's HE'S the Boss, the pack leader, the Alpha, and she want's all his attention, and gives him all of hers, and anything else is secondary. I sware she get's jealous when he sits with me, not cause she want's to sit with me too, but because she wants her buddy back. I put Bo in his crate when I'm working with her, but eventualy she needs to learn to listen to me no matter what ya know? Bo is a good dog, so you think he would be a good influence on her, but all basic comands go out the window if Bo is within 10 feet, which is pretty much most of the day. Should I seperate them? For part of the day, for several days? Forever? Lol.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You'll want to make you sure you spend a lot of time with her away from the Boston Terrier, but it's not unnatural for a puppy to prefer another dog over a human especially at such a young age.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You need to be spending a lot more alone time with the puppy and you need to be a lot more fun than you are now. You should be walking, training, and playing with him by himself so you become more of the center of his world.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
When I was raising a puppy, I only allowed ONE hour a day of play time with my older dog, up until he was six months old. The rest of the time, they were separated, most of my time spend with the pup so that he bonded to me over my other dog. It was exhausting to make sure that both dogs had their share of exercise, training, and one-on-one with me, but think of it as temporary measures required to make sure that your puppy becomes the great dog he has the potential to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts