German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been the called the 'fun police' by non dog people, or those who don't train their dogs? I hear this all of the time from a friend who let's his two Golden Retrievers constantly invade other people's space when he goes with me to one of the parks that allows off leash dogs. He doesn't understand why I call my dogs back if they get too far from us, and to him it's just 'harmless fun'. I've seen him allow his dogs to run through a picnic that a couple was having. He even had the audacity to get mad when I made my dogs hold a down when they started to join his.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have been...maybe not in those exact words, but I've had people comment (in a negative way) on me making my dogs do something before they're allowed a treat, or stay in a down by my feet as I talk to someone, or for not letting children and/or other dogs approach mine inappropriately.

But then again, I also have had two of my non-dog-owning neighbors come up and thank me for having such well-behaved dogs, and get a lot of compliments on how polite they are, and a lot of requests to use my dogs (well, not the 10-month-old puppy yet, but all the others) to help socialize rambunctious youngsters...so I don't really care. As a wise person once said, haters gonna hate; I'll just enjoy my well-behaved dogs and the goodwill of my neighbors. ;)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My mom is my biggest critic. She says I'm mean and that I never let Ozzy get away with anything. Most of the time, she says it jokingly/lovingly, but sometimes she's serious.

But I have had a lot of people tell me that Ozzy is the most well behaved/well trained dog they've seen. He's also changed a lot of people's minds about small dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've been called the fun police a few times. my mentor trainer called me a micromanager because I would control every move/action of Shasta's verbally and correct her if she didn't listen. My mentor pretty much lets her dogs run around willy nilly and be crazy. Needless to say, her dog, when I was handling him, knew he couldn't get away with a lot of the behaviors he exhibited towards her like humping...

If being the fun police means my dogs are better behaved in situations and are good ambassadors, I'm perfectly fine with that.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've been called cruel for asking a dog to sit before i give a threat. My friend is like just give it you to him and she wonders why her dog is always 'talking' to her and thinking he is the boss

·
Registered
701 Posts
yes this happens.
my dog is well behaved, so he is certainly miserable. and i must beat him (i sincerely wanted to beat the idiot who told me that)

on the other hand, i get comments about what a good dog he is all the time. so i guess we win.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, one of my Facebook friends unfriended me when I suggested he train his dogs rather than let them jump through the McDonald's drive-through window. Yes, the dog got halfway through the window.

·
Registered
766 Posts
All the time by pretty much everyone but my sister because I train my dog and don't let him eat everything that falls on the ground. I also get snubbed by own mother in law at times because she lets her dog do whatever and I manage mine. If Gunther is bugging her dog I leash him and keep them seperate. My in laws think I'm being cruel but they have a dog aggressive dog and sometimes I cant just leave Gunther home alone due to the long hours we'd be gone so he gets to go over there and I do my best to keep them seperate but she snaps and bites. In laws think a wagging tail means she's happy and that she's "confused" on how to play with another dog....:banghead:

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Has anyone ever been the called the 'fun police' by non dog people, or those who don't train their dogs? I hear this all of the time from a friend who let's his two Golden Retrievers constantly invade other people's space when he goes with me to one of the parks that allows off leash dogs. He doesn't understand why I call my dogs back if they get too far from us, and to him it's just 'harmless fun'. I've seen him allow his dogs to run through a picnic that a couple was having. He even had the audacity to get mad when I made my dogs hold a down when they started to join his.
All the time. :rolleyes:

My family doesn't understand, and only a few of my friends actually train with me. My SO is also not into training, and although he respects what I do with them... he too, thinks I'm too strict. However, my dogs listen and are happy to do what I say. They are well behaved, and my house runs like a well oiled machine. Everyone's happy, everyone gets along... no problems. When it's just my SO here.... it's like a zoo without any order. I don't feel I'm wrong.... but, I am always told I'm the fun police. Only those who train, or really really understand this breed, know why I do what I do. As long as the dogs are happy though and they keep a positive light on the breed when out in public... I don't care what others say. In fact, I'm finding that most people's dogs annoy the crap out of me now! I'm so used to my dogs who behave and LOVE to do right by me..... that when I have another person's dog come running up to me jumping and barking and being obnoxious.... I get really annoyed at the owners lack of commitment to their dog and it's *"Basic"-Every-Dog-Should-Have* training. They think it's cute.... I do not.

I'll be a "fun police" anyday if it means my dogs are well behaved and under control! ;)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
in blue, me too and I've got to remind myself to be patient.

I get a range of comments, including some that run in the 'fun police' vein but I have to say the comment that irritates me the most is 'I could never get my dog to do that'. Happened at the vet just yesterday. Smitty and Autumn were in nice down stays while I was paying at the front desk. A lady buying her heart guard complimented my dogs good behavior, which is nice and then said 'but my dog could never do that'. The vet tech grumbled under her breath after she had left "I hate it when people say that". I agreed, it is annoying. It's usually not the dog but the fact the owner doesn't even want to try.

All the time. :rolleyes:

My family doesn't understand, and only a few of my friends actually train with me. My SO is also not into training, and although he respects what I do with them... he too, thinks I'm too strict. However, my dogs listen and are happy to do what I say. They are well behaved, and my house runs like a well oiled machine. Everyone's happy, everyone gets along... no problems. When it's just my SO here.... it's like a zoo without any order. I don't feel I'm wrong.... but, I am always told I'm the fun police. Only those who train, or really really understand this breed, know why I do what I do. As long as the dogs are happy though and they keep a positive light on the breed when out in public... I don't care what others say. In fact, I'm finding that most people's dogs annoy the crap out of me now! I'm so used to my dogs who behave and LOVE to do right by me..... that when I have another person's dog come running up to me jumping and barking and being obnoxious.... I get really annoyed at the owners lack of commitment to their dog and it's *"Basic"-Every-Dog-Should-Have* training. They think it's cute.... I do not.

I'll be a "fun police" anyday if it means my dogs are well behaved and under control! ;)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I've never been called the fun police, but I've gotten both positive and negative comments about how well trained Finn is.

I agree with everyone else; I'd rather people not like me because my dog is too well trained than be calling AC every two days because he isn't trained.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I brush it off. Usually the people who do so are the ones who don't take care of their dog, spoil them, and let them do what ever the **** they want.

Im strict on my puppy. People always say shes just a puppy blah blah. Its just like raising a kid or teaching. Firm and stern at first, build and establish good habits. Then ease off as they learn and grow.

That being said my GSD KNOWS i love her very much and we have lots of fun together.

This is my first dog at 26 years old and I have seen alot of bad trained, wild, and neglected dogs. I knew in my mind when I got my own i didn't want my dog to turn out like that.

To each his own.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Honestly iv never had someone criticize what I do with my dogs. Probably because I don't socialize outside my 'clique' of friends with dogs enough for strangers to be around them. Most I get are general compliments and in passing the dogs will sniff it out for a minute or two then back to our walk

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also get the 'look of awe' when my dogs are behaving in public, even if it's something as simple as sitting while someone pets them. I'm like it's not that big of a deal but I guess it is to them.

Smitty and Autumn were in nice down stays while I was paying at the front desk. A lady buying her heart guard complimented my dogs good behavior, which is nice and then said 'but my dog could never do that'.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Usually it is with people who do train their dogs at dog classes. When the German dogs (Dobermans, GSDs, Leonbergers, or Rottweilers) bark when other dogs are acting like idiots. The term Fun Police comes out with reference to the barking dog.

When poopie little snappy, yappy, barky dogs bark and react, at the same behavior, it is laughed off, or corrected, but there is no mention of Fun Police.

I think people expect big dogs to be bad and out of control, especially around other dogs. It's funny but the big dogs are not usually the worst specimens in classes.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My greatest compliment is when a person says that they'd love to have a dog 'just like mine'. This is due to good behavior.

Sometimes when my dog(s) is spending too much time checking a guest out, I'll say, "Fido, that's rude." That tells my dog(s) to leave them alone. Almost ALWAYS the guest will say, "Oh, that's alright, I really don't mind. I love dogs." That still doesn't excuse my dog(s) being rude. So the command remains. (It also makes them looked wicked smart.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its the little dogs. They are always the craziest.

And I have friends jokingly plot my death because I told them they could take care of my dog if I did die...

I sleep with one eye open now....
(o_-)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Just the other day, I was at a hotel. It was late in the evening and I was just getting in. Walking through the hallway I passed a young couple with a very large Dobie. They stopped (as we all couldn't pass at the same time). The moment they stopped the Dobie sat. It watched me and I swear it smiled a hello.

All I could muster at the moment was a large smile and "Wonderful!" The man laughed and said, "You should have seen him six months ago!" The woman giggled in agreement.

Fun police or not...it's moments like those when all those painful hours of training pay off. Even for the dog who (in this case) six months ago couldn't be in a public place for what ever reason.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fun police or not...it's moments like those when all those painful hours of training pay off. Even for the dog who (in this case) six months ago couldn't be in a public place for what ever reason.
Most of the people that I know who use the 'fun police' comment don't take their dogs anywhere because they are admittedly out of control. It's like their dogs to have freedom without boundaries:confused:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts