German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious -when I go out without jake AND THEN COME HOME HE DOES A TOTAL BODY SNIFF OF MY CLOTHES AND ESPECIALLY MYSHOES.It's really kinda weird cause if I have been with someone he knows he will do a kinda slow tail wag.If I have been somewhere he has never been with people he doesn't know his whole body posture is different and def NO wags.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Ha ha, YES! Riddick does the exact same thing, I always think he is checking to see if I was cheating on him with another dog, if he smells another one his hair will stand a bit, if he doesn't smell another dog THEN he wags his tail.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Oh yes. Molly started this ritual in our house. Now, Elmo does it too. They make me feel like I've been cheating on them if they smell another dog on me.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
My son was at a friends house last weekend and she owns cats. LOL Rocky has never come across a cat that I know of and he sniffed for a while

·
Registered
487 Posts
LOL yes I get the total body sniff down. If I have been silly enough to actually pat, hold or hug another animal then any point of contact get extra attention and Cain in particular will "point" to the spot with his nose and nudge. I feel like I should make a horn sound each time he bops or pushes on me with his nose. In my head it goes:

HONK HONK HONK right here!!! Yup she hugged another dog HONK HONK HONK with this ARM. While all of this is going on the Chi and Shar Pei are snarkling and snarfing around my legs and feet.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
My kids do this with each other. One leaves the house, and the other two pounce on him when he gets home. Sniff. "Where've you been? Did you have fun?" And then the worst part. They sniff his mouth. "HEY! You got a special snack!" (Arbys or something like that...) and they look at me, with that demanding look on their face. "Where's ours?"

Dh and I once visted the petting zoo at the zoo and made a point to pet and sort of snuggle all the exotic animals -- the antelope, deer, etc, rubbed our jackets against them. THEN we returned home wearing the jackets. THAT was a great sniff experience. The dog didn't run around, excited. They just stood there, very thoughtful, sniffing and huffing deeply. I think we gained a lot of respect that day. "What do you know? These people actually DO hunt for us. All this time, we thought they just got our food at those stores."

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom"What do you know? These people actually DO hunt for us. All this time, we thought they just got our food at those stores."

I'm afraid our dogs are going to figure out that the UPS guy brings their food.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Oh yeah, both my boys do that.
They never seem to pay any attention if I've just been to the grocery store, Target, etc., but god help me if I stop at PetSmart and DARE to pet another dog. I get the third degree from my boys for a good ten minutes.

It was funny the other day - mom had gone to a new salon to get her hair cut and when she came home, the boys were going nuts sniffing her. She'd been in a new place, with someone whose scent they didn't recognize touching her. They did not like that at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts