German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know he is still settling in but he seems really antsy at night. always wanting out side walks arouns a bit then back in. Seems he is getting me up every hour or so just to walk around the yard. I dont mind since it gives me more bonding time with him. I am thinking maybe he wants to do his "security Rounds" our he is still looking for his "lady" the one that dropped him off, or maybe he is just an antsy dog. He seems pretty mellow during the day. We have been taking 2 2 mile walks a day one in the morning and one at night. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
392 Posts
how old is he?

if he's still young, that is too much walking IMO... try maybe one walk and some other play time activities. Training is also exhausting for them.

right off the bat with Riley, we start settling down for the evening around 7pm... now that's she's a bit older (5 months) and it's lighter out later, we settle down around 9pm.

is he also on a feeding schedule?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
this is an adult dog, that has been in her home for only 2 days.

I'd say he's still settling in, I would expect him to be a little antsy, the first week or so, as you said, he could be missing his foster person. This is all new to him, I wouldn't worry about it to much at this point,,tho a pain getting up in the middle of the nite for a jaunt around the yard LOL

·
Registered
392 Posts
this is an adult dog, that has been in her home for only 2 days.

I'd say he's still settling in, I would expect him to be a little antsy, the first week or so, as you said, he could be missing his foster person. This is all new to him, I wouldn't worry about it to much at this point,,tho a pain getting up in the middle of the nite for a jaunt around the yard LOL
ahhh, ok. thanks for pointing that out.

OP:

when you do take him out, make it as subdued as possible. NO FUN, no cuddles, nothing but business. poo, pee, whatever then right back in and back to bed. no conversation. the less exciting the easier it will be to start winding down.

I also cannot second the crate suggestion strongly enough.

·
Registered
626 Posts
DJ patrols the house at night. He will plop down next to my bed, then I'll hear him get up and meander through the house and plop down in my son's room for a while and then back out on patrol. He's just doin his job, keeping his family safe while they sleep... :sleep:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
You know, the GSD is such a loyal dog, I can't imagine what is going through his mind going from one home to another. Breaks my heart.

I'm really happy that you are helping him through this transition. Some people would just lock him up and let him struggle through it alone. Kudos to you!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I feel bad sometimes that he keeps getting bounced around but he is here to stay and already the love of my life, he is so cute and you can tell he had such a hard life, everything terrified him the first day or two but today the ceiling fan no longer scares him, he doesnt shy away from hands and he has learned that the stairs are ok and wont hurt him and he isnt scared of the birds anymore, he use to run for cover when they would fly from me to their cage now he doesnt flinch. He is still terrified of the stray cat that hangs out on our porch. I cant wait to see his personality when it comes in I know right now he is just so confused, once in awhile he will peek out the front window and I think he is looking for the lady who found him he really liked her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts