German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
I’ve only dog sat aussies. 4 over the years. They’re busy dogs... much more energy than any of my GSD, but perhaps they weren’t as settled because they were visitors.

I fell hard for them in my teenage years... Sierra & Dakota were regulars at the clinic where I worked... so much so that I named my first Shepherd Sierra and got kicked out of Algebra in high school because I was constantly caught drawing and designing kennels (I wanted to breed them) instead of doing my class work. I think a blue merle also won best in show that year. The 90’s. Pretty dogs, fun, but not really my flavor anymore... would certainly go acd first! Both are clowns tho.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've had a few over the years. I like them. I think people who get them because they are adorable are in for a rude awakening. They are tough, energetic dogs. Not nutty energetic but they NEED outlets. They have zero issues with turning on the fight if they are pushed. This is a breed that was meant to work stock, hard stock. They can and will work all day. One of mine came off a Wyoming cattle ranch, one off a North Dakota cattle ranch. Huge places where they earned their keep. The third was the best horse dog I have ever seen, and that is a skill.
Intelligent, loyal, fearless. Not necessarily biddable but not hard to train if you work with them. I hate seeing them in pet homes, especially with rookie owners. I have not seen it end well very often. All of mine were stock dogs and I adored them, but I have to be honest they really disliked it between jobs. I used to do ranch work and we moved around a lot. I rodeoed between jobs. They were cool with it but preferred the work. They can get pushy so they need owners who can handle them. I have only had the three and a couple of crosses, I think two fosters. So I'm sure other people have more knowledge.
As you know I am really not a fan of Aussies, I don't view them as working dogs. They are sort of in the same spot as Shelties in my mind. They are herders in the loosest sense of the word. I just never really met one that was a working dog, and the whole name thing irritates me. LOL. They are cute, smart, fun dogs I guess. So again like Shelties.
I have never owned one, so I wouldn't take my opinion for much.
There are some straight up working Aussies in Montana at least. Less common to have intense working dogs like the other breeds but they’re out there. Super common to be part of the ranch dog mixes. I’ve met a few I can’t stand because they’re intense herding type who don’t have the manners not to try to herd people too. When I was looking for dogs I saw one litter for working homes only, not as common to see so it was a cool surprise.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
As a groomer of over 40 years, I can say I'm not a fan of Aussies. Most that I've been around are unruly, and a little prone to bite if they don't want you to do something. Of course, as with most breeds that come in to the shop to be groomed, they are NOT well bred. The general population won't spend much money on a dog, unless it's a doodle for $2000-$3000, and don't even get me started on those. I think if you want an Aussie, then find a breeder that actually does something with them, and not a BYB who "loves dogs".

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Just wanted to add that herding dogs in general can be too much for the average pet person to handle. They run all over their owners. This past Wednesday at the shop we had a Corgi (Pem), an Old English Sheepdog, and a Sheltie. It's kind of a miracle, but all three of these dogs are well bred. They barked non-stop. Did I mention they barked? NON STOP. We need to have a "one herding breed at a time" rule in the shop, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
That Sheltie that was in on Wednesday does agility. He’s a very enthusiastic dog, lol. Here’s his puppy pic.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I commented a few weeks back that there must be a few Sheltie breeders near here. They are everywhere in North Bay, and it's two different types, so two breeders. The smaller heavy coated clearly show stock are popular with the older folks and the leggy lighter coats seem common with the families, guessing at least one byb nearby.
There is at least one Sheltie on any block here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts