German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 yr male has been shedding / blowing his coat the last 2 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else's GS is doing it. It is much more than in Spring. Of course I groom him every day, it helps some.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Welcome to the site! What is your location, I think the weather makes a difference with the coat blowing time...
My 14.5 yr golden/border cross had a bag full of fur when I brushed her today. She is so old that her coat just grows and grows but her exercise is none so she is soo feathered and thick. I could get another bag of fur if I kept brushing her, but she was worn out with one.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Yes, Renji just started recently. Today I furminated some fluffy dog-clouds off of him and will have to do more tomorrow. We're in Florida, and the season's shifted from monsoon season to hurricane/mosquito season.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in New Jersey, I'm sure its related to the shorter days. Thanks for responding, it lets me know its normal. I've had Sheppards for years but don't remember fall shedding.

·
Super Moderator
7,382 Posts
my dogs are off track, which i cant decided if its good or bad. my male long coat blew his coat back in... hm... say june. my female short stock coat just started a few weeks ago and man its bad. in two days i can develop a fur coating over my upstairs carpet. they generally shed a bit, but never clumps. i can semi furminate her (but man do i hate that thing) but brush them both daily using a combination of tools. vacuuming is up to every other day (so glad i only have carpet in one room)

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
Max has been shedding heavily for over a month now...it is finally starting to diminish...

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Onyx blew her coat in June too, for the first time. She will be 2 in Nov. I feed raw and my gsd's don't shed nearly as much as the others I am around. I do vac. every day if possible, though just to keep the fluffs from taking over. Two long coats and a short coat, along with birds, the vac is really getting a work-out.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Lots and Lots of hair....everywhere I look...all I do is brush and brush, time to go to the groomers. LOL

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah I'm in Florida and kenzo started to blow his coat off almost a month ago, now it slowed down a little bit. I was confused a little bit too, I don't know how i will handle when i get my 2nd shepherd though:))

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I feel everyone's pain here...Zeus is definitly blowing his coat. There is so much hair around the house it's unreal. You walk by and rub your hands through him and hair is everywhere. I am so glad that Electra has not started to blow her coat. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
When do I NOT have a dog shedding????

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my Shepherd started shedding in April. June and July seemed like the heavy months. a week ago he started shedding again. this isn't really the Fall. we've had some hot days the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I groomed DaKota right on time.
She just started up.
She getting her picture taken professional on Sunday.
I wanted her to look her best. I spent 1 hr. before her bath &
1 hr. after brushing & combing. I know I'll have to do a bit more on Saturday, but most of it is gone.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Did Duke just begin when you brought him inside? It may have triggered his coat to blow.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Both dogs had a heavy shed near the start and middle of sept.
Not so much now.

but I dont know if its because we have hardwood now, or we are more up on the grooming but it seems a LOT less than winter to spring shed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts