German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice whenever my pup gets excited, she would go find something to carry in her mouth and circle me while making this low growling noise. I find it super cute, wondering if this is a common GS thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be clear I never trained this behavior. Also the stuff she carries are not necessarily toys, they are often just random stuff that are closest to us, from socks to paper towel. It is almost like she instinctively does this to calm herself down, lol, very interesting behavior to me.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My 8 year old still does this and it makes me smile really big every time.

When I come home, he grabs a toy, and greets me with it in his mouth. He circles me, ears back with bouncy steps. I love it :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
My pup does the same thing. And particularly when she's laying or rolling around on her back, she always gets something to mouth while doing it!

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I have one that'll do as you describe and another that'll just carry around her ball and chomp on it as long as you let her. I limit "ball time" as she has worn her teeth from this doing this. She will substitute sticks and other random things too and carry them around.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Need a pic of your boy carrying it. My boy seeks out something to hold while giving first morning wake up greetings and when ever company comes over or if one of us was gone for more than 10 mins. With company, I just thought it was a spill over from his land shark days and learning to redirect his mouthing to a toy.

I do love watching him prance around, toy, shoe or whatever in mouth,ears pinned back and eyes soft as Downey.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I have one that'll do as you describe and another that'll just carry around her ball and chomp on it as long as you let her. I limit "ball time" as she has worn her teeth from this doing this. She will substitute sticks and other random things too and carry them around.
The worn teeth thing is worth emphasizing, my pup, at only 16 months, had a tooth repaired. The Vet's first comment to me afterward was "you let her play with tennis balls don't you". But only for about six months did I allow that! At any rate, he said her canine teeth showed obvious signs of wear. I had stopped playing with her with tennis balls some time before that, but for him to comment on that at her young age really made an impression on me! Don't let your your puppy or dog play with tennis balls! Rubber balls are the way to go!

·
Registered
836 Posts
When my girl and I have to go back downstairs to our room after going potty, she waits for me to hand her the slip lead so she can carry it downstairs. In the mornings, she’ll grab our slippers and carry them around the house because she’s excited. She doesn’t care so much about grabbing stuff when we come home because she cares more about cuddling me, but her butt wiggles are phenomenal and make it very hard for her to walk in a straight line, haha.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My boy loves his rubber frisbee, I'm not sure if it's optimism, but even for his last potty trip outside late at night when it's dark, he will pick up his frisbee and take it out with him.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This made me think of one of my favorite memories of Xena when she was maybe a little over a year old! We were out on a walk and stopped for a water break in a big parking lot one night, one where all the spaces have numbers. When she's excited, she'll pick up whatever happens to be closest, so she tried to pick up the number 17!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes, my dog does it too. He parades around me in circles. He does it when greeting mostly. Very cute. He does it with ANYTHING he can grab if he cant find his stuffed toy. My son's toy cars, a 12 pack of sodas lol

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yup, my slipper mostly... Although she will choose a toy, shoe, sock, or anything she feels shares her feelings of love for who she is greeting.... Usually all my stuff, but occasionally, she will steal another family members item

1 - 17 of 17 Posts