German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a rotti/shepherd mix who WILL NOT cross the fence when it's working

Max tears down the driveway after a deer and comes to a four wheel skid just before the warning <grin>

It takes him about a week to figure out if there is a break in the wire.

He'll usually only go as far as the road but it scares the new city folk acreage people, sigh...

I live on an acreage in the bush and during the past six years the deer, mice, etc. have broken the wire over 50 times.

With over 1300' of wire in heavy bush it's an outing to find the break, sigh.

I relaid it on the ground and this has stopped most of the chewing, burying it is more of a job than I am capable of....

Just lately the snow plow has actually dug it up twice.

Long story, short. I have decided to install the Pet Safe Wireless Fence system.

Has anyone bought this unit through ecollars.com ??

And/or have any experience with this brand?

TIA, Don.

[/img]

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the PetSafe wirless system, and we have had awesome luck with it! You can adjust the perimiter with the touch of a dial, and the colar has 6 settings of intensity on it. You never have to worry about a wire being broke with it. Sound like you have a lot of land, if you want you can even put two units togatherm and they will work as one, giving your buddies twice the area to run. All in all I give the Wireless Pet System a 10 outta 10, they also have great customer service. Feel free to let me know if there is anything I can help you with it

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Re: Anyone bought the wireless fence from ecollars

No, but we've had great results with the "Invisible Fence" system. I also like their 'indoor solution' modules that let you fence off certain spaces in the house.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts

Zyp, how long have you had your Invisible fence and are their any drawbacks? We had a rep come over tonight and would like to know what opinions are...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally Posted By: onyx'girlZyp, how long have you had your Invisible fence and are their any drawbacks? We had a rep come over tonight and would like to know what opinions are...
Looks like Zyp is not responding
Did you make a decision?

I loved the invisible fence system, I was able to enclose a larger area than the wireless system but as I said, I did not install it properly and had trouble with breaks. The training involved was pretty simple and Max got the idea pretty quick.

I did have two incidents though. The fence had only been up a short time when I had a visitor on a bicycle. Max had never seen one and was quite interested in following him as he left. He reacted to the shock as expected but immediately refocused on the bicycle, sigh..

The other time was when a friend came out with his skidoo. Again the excitement was too much.

But after a year or so he DID NOT follow a cow or a donkey out of the yard. Darn neighbors pets

So to update.

The wireless fence arrived about a week ago from ecollars.

Good news/bad news kinda story.

It was quite late by the time I arrived back home from picking the package up from town, read the instructions, set up the two transmitters and fit Max with the collar.

I did manage to walk the road side boundary to see where it was, he now has about fifteen feet less than the wire system toward the road but more room on the sides and back of the house.

Supper and to bed early not giving a thought to the fact Max was still wearing the collar.

Around four in the morning he makes a big commotion about "going out", not an unusual occurrence and not something I mind considering the alternative <grin>

So I open the back door and off he goes chasing a neighbors dog. Then I realize he's headed out the driveway with the collar on.

By the time I got to the front door he's past the boundary and sitting in the middle of the driveway looking back towards the house.

Me bad, not the best way to reintroduce him to the system, sigh..

We looked at each other for a few minutes before I whistled, he gingerly slinked through the boundary area and then came running to me.

The nice thing about the new wireless is when the dog is facing the transmitter there is no beep or correction. With the old system if the dog leaves the area, he will get corrected AGAIN when he comes back...

So far one happy customer.

Cheers, Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Some time has passed and I couldn't be more pleased with the new wireless system.

So far, that I know of, the temptations for Max to cross the boundary have been deer, cows, horses with riders, the neighbors Akita, the odd bike and jogger and of course numerous vehicles.

No problem..

Here's a pic with him wearing his new necklace.

Cheers, Don

·
Registered
27,245 Posts

We did get the invisible fence for the front yard, and the dogs will not leave the garage to go out in front, too scared! We had it installed in May. The cost was outragous, we got the perimeter module as well. Our back yard is huge, completely fenced so they are there most of the time anyway. At least I have the comfort of knowing they won't bolt out the front, but nor will they just lay relaxed in front while I am out there putzying around. Still working on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts