German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home my new 11 1/2 week old female GSD Thursday evening. I am working on picking out her new name. She is almost 16lbs. I am feeding her one cup of dry three times per day. I have been giving her about 1 Tbsp of cottage cheese with her dry once a day. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Stop giving her any dry dog food, her stomach is too tender for it. But it is good idea to feed her cooked chicken feet, chicken breast fillets, small chunks of beef, salmon fillets and neutral cottage cheese and neutral drinkable yogurts. All sour cow milk products are good for your puppy, if neutral. It is said, that very few dogs can digest fresh cow milk lactose, but they perfectly digest milk lactose of a goat. Of course, you can order - goat milk puppy - Google Search
But, I cannot see much point, if fresh goat's milk is available in majority of supermarkets. Fresh goat's milk bursts immune system in puppies, really triggers growth.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Any kibble I feed I soak , I probably would prefer throwing in yogurt vs cottage cheese. I don't think I see any "value" from cottage cheese, tho I am no food expert.

You'll get lots of varying food suggestions, go with what works..

Again I am no expert, but I would stay away from to much dairy if any types of milk, at this age, you might end up with diarhea..

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Just brought home my new 11 1/2 week old female GSD Thursday evening. I am working on picking out her new name. She is almost 16lbs. I am feeding her one cup of dry three times per day. I have been giving her about 1 Tbsp of cottage cheese with her dry once a day. Any thoughts?
First of all...Welcome to the forum. Congrats on bringing your girl home. What are your ideas for names?

And I have to say that I fed my puppy 10 week old kibble and had no problems except for maybe he got tired of it so I added things like cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs to make it a bit yummier :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You're about to get about a hundred different suggestions on what you NEED to feed your puppy. Research what is best for YOUR situation and make your own choice.

I feed kibble with some raw to my pups and have never had a problem. If you want to add some kind of milk product I'd recommend goats milk or neutral yoghurt, as someone else suggested. As a vet assistant, I always recommend a high quality complete puppy kibble to our clients unless they're very familiar with how to provide a complete and balanced diet from other sources at the recommendation of all the vets at the practice. Ultimately, it's your call. This forum has opinions across the spectrum.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
How are your dogs BM's? Normal? If normal then 1T cottage cheese 1x day should be fine. I'm just curious why are you adding cottage cheese?

I know when my dog needs a bland diet our vet recommends boiled rice with our choice of proteins: boiled chicken, boiled ground beef or cottage cheese.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You're about to get about a hundred different suggestions on what you NEED to feed your puppy. Research what is best for YOUR situation and make your own choice.

I feed kibble with some raw to my pups and have never had a problem. If you want to add some kind of milk product I'd recommend goats milk or neutral yoghurt, as someone else suggested. As a vet assistant, I always recommend a high quality complete puppy kibble to our clients unless they're very familiar with how to provide a complete and balanced diet from other sources at the recommendation of all the vets at the practice. Ultimately, it's your call. This forum has opinions across the spectrum.
You are so right about the impending comments lol. Now I will add my two cents. You can absolutely give your pup dry food. I tried wetting it down in the beginning but my pup wouldn't eat it so I started giving him puppy food that had small pieces and he has been fine on it. What David is suggesting is fine but you have to ask yourself if that's something you can maintain day in and day out. I would love to feed my pup raw food but I know I will eventually not be able to afford it and keep up with going to the store all the time to pick up those meats. You have to be realistic when it comes to feeding your pup.

If you are like me you will probably change foods several times because you will buy a brand then you will do more research and want to try something else. I finally settled on Taste of The Wild and my pup loves it. I have noticed that since he has been on it that his coat has improved in color and he is gaining healthy weight each month. Once a day I add a dollup of low fat plain yogurt to his food to provide him the healthy bacteria that puppies need to improve their coat and overall health.

I suggest you do what I did and forget all these websites that rate the popularity of foods and find a site that tells you what key ingredients you should be looking for in food. You will tear your hair out in hear if you ask what food people recommend because you will get a hundred answers. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have decided on her name. She is a real sweetheart and I think "Ellie" suits her perfectly.
I have decided to give her a little non-fat yogurt with her am meal. When we got her from the breeder he had her on eukanuba large breed puppy. I have been researching the dry food and Costco's Kirkland Domain dry is Salmon and sweet potato and is grain free. I will be trying to switch her over gradually.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I like the name Ellie:) I feed Diamond foods, have tried different brands at different times and always go back to Diamond..My dogs do well on it, it's not pricey and it's not a bad food

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My biggest issue is potty training. Any suggestions? I try to take her outside after eating, drinking, waking etc. I put her leash on and say outside and walk outside and if she pees or pops I give her praise and a treat. But not getting it yet?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Consistency is key with potty training. React the same way for each behavior every time. I would suggest starting off taking her outside as often as possible. Even every half hour (if possible). Keep praising when she goes potty outside.

There is debate about what you do when they go inside. Some people ignore it and others correct it. I correct it. Every time. She should realistically be 100% potty trained by 6 months old if you are consistent and she is normal. However, I have had an occasional dog who took longer. Just don't give up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My biggest issue is potty training. Any suggestions? I try to take her outside after eating, drinking, waking etc. I put her leash on and say outside and walk outside and if she pees or pops I give her praise and a treat. But not getting it yet?
Create a routine you both can follow. Every time I would take my pup out I would make him sit by the door first and put on his leash. The same for when we came back in. This eventually taught him to sit by the door when he needed to go. Praise is good also. When she poops or pees you should treat it as if she just saved your life. Act like a fool and get all excited so she knows she done good. Just remember that if you are at least trying she will eventually get it. Just be patient and keep a bunch of paper towels on standby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts