German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup has had one round of shots from the breeder. Distemper, parvo and adenovirus. I am personally against vaccines for many reasons I won't go into here but I have limited knowledge on puppy vaccines. I believe most of what I've read concerns adult dogs.

Has anybody only done one round of vaccines with their pup? I honestly am worried about vaccinosis occurring from over vaccination. Though I HATE this fear motive instilled into people about "if you don't vaccinate, she'll get sick and die!" Which I don't believe but is like to hear some experiences and get some preemptive naturals on hand, or even cures.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Parvo is no joke.
Neither are the other illnesses for which dogs are vaccinated.
Vaccinate your dog, and titer after she acquires immunity if you don't wish to over vaccinate, but honestly, not doing so is playing Russian roulette with your dog's health.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
No, I don't think even Dr Dodds recommends that.

One vaccination will do nothing for them; you need two given about 3 weeks apart.
The one given by the breeder is probably a wash due to maternal antibodies.

You can give two DAPP separated by the right time after the pup is about 10 weeks then about 3-4 weeks later pull a titer (all you can get on the titer is distemper and parvo that I know of but those are the likely ones). Dodds recommends a booster 1 year later then be done with it. The modified live virus in most DAPP vaccines is not one likely to cause reactions. It is the killed vaccines with adjuvant that are the most reactive (like the rabies vaccine which you must give, by law)

A lot of pups on this forum have caught parvo. It is a deadly disease. I did my titer after I boostered 1 year post puppy series.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks. Follow up: wouldn't it be better to split them up a week or so apart? Distemper now and one week later parvo, then two more weeks and distemper again, then another week and finish the parvo? Ideally it would introduce the disease to the pup one at a time giving her a better chance to develop an immunity, rather than her immune system identifying both together as one.

And doesn't a balanced raw diet do really well to fight all the diseases and potential damage from vaccinations?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Dr Dodds is as minimalist as I have seen on vaccines and this is her schedule.

Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

Personally I would go ahead and give the adenovirus because it HAS recurred in the US coming across the Mexican and Canadian border. She took it off her protocol because there had been no cases in this country for many years but it is back. Also, you will spend a ton of money finding a vet with just parvo and just distemper vaccines unless you are working with a holistic veterinarian...and even so expect to empty your pockets for them.

I cross posted.......you can split the distemper and the parvo if you can find the single unit vaccines. They can be hard to come by, even for veterinarians. And a standard vet simply won't stock them, nor will a farm store.....Sure a good immune system is good but disease and death are still a reality.

I had a great uncle die from the measles when he was 13. His 10 brothers and sisters all grew to healthy adulthood before vaccinations were given to kids and lived a healthy robust farm life out in the country about as natural as you can get back in the early 1900s. Some earlier more wonderful "healty life" is no guarantee.

But you are fighting with fire when you fight with some of these diseases. As long as you aware they are very virulent, they kill dogs, even healthy dogs you have to figure what risks you will take.

·
Registered
874 Posts
as much as I HATE drug companies for humans or furbabies...HATE them...I do get my pups vaccinated...my inside only cats have NEVER had a shot and wont' ever. That was the reason I got denied as a rescue home for a dog :(

I just can't chance it in our community ..there was a deadly outbreak of parvo not too long ago that cost a LOT of dogs their lives

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
One vaccination *will* protect....it has to be given after maternal antibodies wane, and the immune system is mature enough for long term immunization for hold. And the kicker is that these may be at different times for the core illnesses, which makes it nearly impossible for someone without lab access to determine the right timing to get it exact - you'd have to have separate vaccines too.

I'm sure that Kris Kristine has posted the new vaccine guidelines for pups in health, that show if the dog is vaccinated between 14 and 16 weeks, lifetime immunity is conferred in nearly all dogs. One shot will do it for nearly all dogs.

The problem is when the maternal antibodies wane and your dog is unprotected. This is why most people give multiple vaccinations spread apart, just so the dog isn't left unprotected.

Parvo and distemper are real. Revaccinating is different than initial vaccines. My girl was vaccinated somewhere around 4 months in the shelter, I didn't revax, and she titered fine a year later. Her rabies titered fine too, which was initially given at about 6 months old.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you're that concerned I would give a DAPP at 12 weeks and another DAPP at 16 weeks and you're set. Rabies I would give no later then 6 months old. The number of times you vaccinate doesn't matter. As Lisa already said, it just depends on when mom's antibodies are gone. Not vaccinating at all is not recommended since parvo is life-threatening.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
My adult dogs have not been vaccinated for several years except for their rabies as required by law.

Puppy vaccines and one year booster are a must. One of my H litter's owners was concerned about vaccines and ended up with treating her dog (had insurance) with bills mounting to over $10K - the dog was definitively diagonsed with distemper, and at a little over 2 years old was humanely put to sleep when the seizures and neurological deficiencies could not be controlled.

Do not skip puppy vaccines or first round of boosters.

Lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi dustin I'm in same boat as you. I ve naturally reared my dogs for almost 20 yrs now. Recent pup at 8 wks now 5 mo and only breeder vax. Normally, I would complete the core vax, but charlie already was itchy (vaccinosis?) So I'm opting no further vax. He's raw fed, energetic, shiny coat..why upset things. I also won't neuter til growth plates close 18 -24 mos. Btw, charlie not GS but Doberman. Following this site for holistic and then your post. Take care, Penny

·
Registered
352 Posts
Please, don't anyone assume that because a pup has been vaccinated means it's immunized.

The ONLY pups I've bred that were ever lost to parvo were the vaccinated ones, and they were not young. Remember Cierny? Hallix's puppy? 6months old. From mild vomiting Friday night to dead by dawn Sunday, if I remember right (and I think I do...this was definitely something that got my attention...).

Parvo is a nightmare, for sure, but I've pulled every pup I've treated through it, unvaccinated, including a 2lb, 8wk old Chihuahua. I don't see good things when a vaccinated puppy gets parvo, and you never know when they'll be exposed, if they've already been exposed at time of vaccination, etc. I will not vaccinate for parvo, period.

I use Parvaid as a preventive, and have done that when bringing new pups onto parvo-contaminated property...so far, so good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi dustin I'm in same boat as you. I ve naturally reared my dogs for almost 20 yrs now. Recent pup at 8 wks now 5 mo and only breeder vax. Normally, I would complete the core vax, but charlie already was itchy (vaccinosis?) So I'm opting no further vax. He's raw fed, energetic, shiny coat..why upset things. I also won't neuter til growth plates close 18 -24 mos. Btw, charlie not GS but Doberman. Following this site for holistic and then your post. Take care, Penny
Thanks penny. A Doberman is a dog too! They are all our friends! I agree, my pup is fed raw, beautiful coat, strong dense muscles especially for a puppy and she has had slightly itchy skin as well. I'm afraid it was the vaccinosis and now when I add extra eggs and fish oil, its better. I'm gonna have to do rabies at some point because I do plan to compete in a few years, but for the rest, I'm still not sold they help. It's such a fear tactic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please, don't anyone assume that because a pup has been vaccinated means it's immunized.

The ONLY pups I've bred that were ever lost to parvo were the vaccinated ones, and they were not young. Remember Cierny? Hallix's puppy? 6months old. From mild vomiting Friday night to dead by dawn Sunday, if I remember right (and I think I do...this was definitely something that got my attention...).

Parvo is a nightmare, for sure, but I've pulled every pup I've treated through it, unvaccinated, including a 2lb, 8wk old Chihuahua. I don't see good things when a vaccinated puppy gets parvo, and you never know when they'll be exposed, if they've already been exposed at time of vaccination, etc. I will not vaccinate for parvo, period.

I use Parvaid as a preventive, and have done that when bringing new pups onto parvo-contaminated property...so far, so good.
What about distemper?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
How did you determine the issues were from the vaccine? Newer puppy vaccines are modified live with no adjuvants and very low risk of reaction without the lepto portion.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
Again - there is distemper out there....raccoons and skunks and foxes carry it....my pup was probably exposed to fox or raccoon urine from an infected animal and he died. He did not receive his boosters 12 months after the puppy series on time...

When I was 14, I lost a pup to distemper that we had bought - he had only one vaccine (this was when they vaccinated every 2 weeks with pups)...it was devastating....

I sure would not take any chances with a baby puppy!

Lee

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm a vet assistant. We had two parvo puppies at work today. The first was an 11 week old puppy vaccinated at 6 weeks with a DHPP vaccine from Tractor Supply. He died at 4:35pm today despite intensive care. The second was a 12 week old puppy who the owner's say was 'vaccinated' with no proof by the breeder; he's in intensive care but still alive. Both confirmed parvo (IDEXX snap test) and with no other complications (intestinal parasites).

Please complete your puppy series.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm a vet assistant. We had two parvo puppies at work today. The first was an 11 week old puppy vaccinated at 6 weeks with a DHPP vaccine from Tractor Supply. He died at 4:35pm today despite intensive care. The second was a 12 week old puppy who the owner's say was 'vaccinated' with no proof by the breeder; he's in intensive care but still alive. Both confirmed parvo (IDEXX snap test) and with no other complications (intestinal parasites).

Please complete your puppy series.
You're in the holistic subforum. No offense to you as a person, but what you just told me is my personal equivalent of a nurse or doctor telling me that 1 in 5 men (or whatever the number is now) develop prostate cancer. And If I get it I have only a 20% chance of survival even with all the beat treatments.

If my doc told me that I'd say, see ya later. Because I know how to "beat" cancer and I know my odds are better walking out that door than receiving western treatments. The same goes for the vet imo. I have no faith in a vet that says science diet is the best kibble out there. Id rather risk my pup getting a "parasite" (according to him) with raw food. Raw btw has saved my other dogs lives.

Now I thank you for sharing your experience, but your credentials mean nothing to me. If you wanna talk pet owner to pet owner, ill put more weight to that.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't take the chance with my pups health. My pups ALWAYS get their vaccines but I space them 3-4 weeks apart. They get the full puppy shot and then boosters at a year. After that, they get their rabies shots every 3 years as required by law and standard vaccines are given 3 weeks before or after the rabies booster. Beyond that, I don't vaccinate every year. I'm not playing with my puppies health like that.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Dustin, this is a holistic subforum but the few holistic vets I have dealt with (they are few and far between down here) ALL believe in vaccinating pups, then again 1 year post, then running titers to verify immunity. Then. no more. (except for rabies).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts