German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, and I was wondering if you guys know of any reputable and trusted gsd breeders. I don't really care which state they are located in, as long as their lines are proven workwise, temperament-wise, and healthwise. I am in law enforcement and am looking for a good working dog for SAR and protection. He will also be my best friend, partner, and part of my family so I want him to be with us for a very long time. I have been to many sites that claim that they have the best, but i figured it would be better if I were to get feedback from real owners. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you and God bless..

·
Registered
381 Posts
You should try the search function on this site. There are many threads on the subject. Here are a few to get you started:

Wolfstraum

Wildhaus

Carmspack

Huerta Hof

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oh wow. I didn't even think about that. Thanks a bunch Zookeep.
Sure. By the way, each of those breeders are active members of this forum.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
SAR and Protection (as opposed to schutzhund dogsport) are typically not mixed in one dog. Is this a personal dog or a department dog? Melgar v Greene and all that. Same working drives though most folks looking for a SAR dog are much more concerned about hunt drives than fight drives and tend to want higher thresholds for defense.

Really good hunt drives are not a given requirement on sport prospects or even dual purpose prospects. I am talking about the drive that will allow a dog to search a negative area for 4-6 hours. Most narc dogs are worked in short bursts, not long negatives and don't need the same level of hunt, as I understand (never worked a narc dog, have worked SAR and cadaver dogs)

JMO, others may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SAR and Protection (as opposed to schutzhund dogsport) are typically not mixed in one dog. Is this a personal dog or a department dog? Melgar v Greene and all that. Same working drives though most folks looking for a SAR dog are much more concerned about hunt drives than fight drives and tend to want higher thresholds for defense.

Really good hunt drives are not a given requirement on sport prospects or even dual purpose prospects. I am talking about the drive that will allow a dog to search a negative area for 4-6 hours. Most narc dogs are worked in short bursts, not long negatives and don't need the same level of hunt, as I understand (never worked a narc dog, have worked SAR and cadaver dogs)

JMO, others may have a different opinion.
Oh I understand. He will be a personal dog as I am not part of a canine unit (yet). I am interested in his courage to defend my family should the need arise, since I am in law enforcement and live within the county I serve. I am also interested in his ability to work and serve the department should I become part of our canine unit. Is it nearly impossible to find a dog with both drives?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Even in the best line you won't know if the dogs can do the job you want them to do. For about 3500 k9 workdogs in the Czech Republic has fully trained dogs. The green dogs go for around 2500 and that includes shipping. ( as best I remember ) That's where most police k9 dogs in louisiana and Texas come from. You cut out the middle man and the price drops.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Oh I understand. He will be a personal dog as I am not part of a canine unit (yet). I am interested in his courage to defend my family should the need arise, since I am in law enforcement and live within the county I serve. I am also interested in his ability to work and serve the department should I become part of our canine unit. Is it nearly impossible to find a dog with both drives?
No, you can find a dog with those drives, but typically are not going to take a dog who is trained to truly bite someone in defense and send them to find a missing person (SAR) -as that is a very big liability. That was why I mentioned the Melgar v Greene case.

It sounds like you are really looking for more of a patrol dog - personal rotection dog. I really can't answer anything for patrol/dual purpose stock but Cliffson on the forum would probably be a good resource. You have to decide what is your budget and whether you are looking puppy, green dog, or trained adult

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, you can find a dog with those drives, but typically are not going to take a dog who is trained to truly bite someone in defense and send them to find a missing person (SAR) -as that is a very big liability. That was why I mentioned the Melgar v Greene case.

It sounds like you are really looking for more of a patrol dog - personal rotection dog. I really can't answer anything for patrol/dual purpose stock but Cliffson on the forum would probably be a good resource. You have to decide what is your budget and whether you are looking puppy, green dog, or trained adult
I understand what you're getting at as it would be a liability. The more affordable the better, but I am not too concerned with the price. I would like to raise him as a puppy so I can train him alongside an experienced k9 trainer. You know how I could possibly contact Cliffson? Thank you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Almost all of the police dogs are imported. They have to mature to train in defence drive. At 2500 for a dog trained fed and housed is not much money. If you get a puppy, pay for training and food for two years its well over 2500 and you might not get what you want. If you want to ensure you get a dog able to do a specific job than its cheeper to import. If you want a pet to train in its set skills buy a puppy, they are fun to work with and train.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost all of the police dogs are imported. They have to mature to train in defence drive. At 2500 for a dog trained fed and housed is not much money. If you get a puppy, pay for training and food for two years its well over 2500 and you might not get what you want. If you want to ensure you get a dog able to do a specific job than its cheeper to import. If you want a pet to train in its set skills buy a puppy, they are fun to work with and train.
Have you any experience importing a gsd? And if so, any recommendations? I've read some horror stories where the dog had to be returned because the dog was too aggressive or the complete opposite.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's easy, just make sure u get the export stamp on the papers. Worldwide only had one dog that was crazy, most GSD are very confident and don't have aggression issues as long as they are of good lines. You don't want a crazy dog attacking a non threat but a well balanced dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dog Ando Ethen is a import from the Czech Republic. He's a great dog, I think he is more suited for police work than a family dog but no real big issues. He's being tested for PP training next month.
Cool. Which breeder did you get him from? Do they have a website?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts