German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There are a million different ways to teach scent articles. Probably the two most popular ways to get started are the squeeze cheese/"round the clock" method and the tie-down/pegboard method (Google those and you should be able to find writeups pretty easily).

My current instructor uses a different method, which I won't spoil except to say that you can get a glimpse of it in this video (warning, the music is kinda loud):

at 0:34 to 0:37 (and then the final result at the very end there).

I actually used yet another method to teach Pongu scent articles because at the time I wasn't even thinking about competition obedience seriously and was just puzzling through my own approaches as part of a trick. I figured if I messed up teaching it as a trick well then welp who cares, whereas if I messed up teaching it with actual articles then I might have some work undoing a bad foundation.

I've posted this one many times before, but here's my original "scent article" project (first section w/mini liquor bottles only):

I taught that to Pongu by rubbing a stinky treat on my hand (I used different types of treats so he wouldn't get too fixated on trying to find any particular one) and then holding the correct (tequila) bottle and clicking him for making contact with the bottle with his nose. Gradually faded out the treat smell so it was just the smell of my hand, added more objects to discriminate among, then tacked on the retrieve.

Getting him to do it with metal articles was a whole 'nother ordeal but I'll spare you that story. :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you for all this. I'm getting mine trained as best I can. I am wondering what's the earliest that they'll begin to understand?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Thank you for all this. I'm getting mine trained as best I can. I am wondering what's the earliest that they'll begin to understand?
About 4-5 weeks. ;)

61 - 64 of 64 Posts