German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think it's funny that your cat Oreo is in the center and Hugo is off on the corner. Typical. My cat isn't afraid of the puppy, but the puppy is obsessed and gets in trouble all the time for always wanting to be in her business. It's exhausting, frustrating, and irritating all rolled into one. Hopefully the pup will some day just ... chilllllll.
This is my problem, as well. At 8 weeks, the pup was "Hi! How are you! Let me sniff you! Snif, slober. Do you want to play?!?!" <slaps huge foot at cat> Cat was like: "Get away, you fool! I'm not a dog! You WILL respect me!" Pup: "bark bark bark". <cat chases, pup yelps and runs>

Fast forward 4 months: Pup: "Hi! How are you! Let me sniff you! Snif, slober. Do you want to play?!?!" <slaps huge foot at cat> Cat was like: "Get away, you fool! I'm not a dog! You WILL respect me!" Pup: "bark bark bark". <cat chases, pup yelps and runs>

Yep. Nothing has changed. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sure do! At first I thought Ozzy was trying to eat Chicken (the cat) until I started watching how things unfolded. The cat actually starts most of it and Ozzy tries his best to avoid her. Eventually he just cant talk it anymore and chases her which is normally when I take notice of their interaction.
Ozzy is very relieved that I've finally recognized the real trouble maker and he is off the hook LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just last night one of our cats was harassing the GSD. It was too funny. The GSD was whining and running from the cat and jumped up by me on the sofa. All I could do was laugh.

·
Banned
363 Posts
This is my problem, as well. At 8 weeks, the pup was "Hi! How are you! Let me sniff you! Snif, slober. Do you want to play?!?!" <slaps huge foot at cat> Cat was like: "Get away, you fool! I'm not a dog! You WILL respect me!" Pup: "bark bark bark". <cat chases, pup yelps and runs>

Fast forward 4 months: Pup: "Hi! How are you! Let me sniff you! Snif, slober. Do you want to play?!?!" <slaps huge foot at cat> Cat was like: "Get away, you fool! I'm not a dog! You WILL respect me!" Pup: "bark bark bark". <cat chases, pup yelps and runs>

Yep. Nothing has changed. :(
:rofl:

At my house it's more like *grown dog* "OH! LOOK! A CAT!" <run to cat, who has now perched high about dog> "CAT! YOU'RE A CAT!" Cat: "Yes, idiot. And you're a DOG. Now get away." Dog: "BUT YOU'RE A CAT!! LET ME SNIFF YOU!" < sniff, lick, sniff, lick, head in mouth, more sniffing, more licking until the cat has had enough> Cat: "ENOUGH YOU FOOL!" <swats at dog, dog runs to me whining, with tail between legs "Mommy, that cat scratched me.... CAT! WE HAVE A CAT! OH LOOK! A CAT!"... *REPEAT*

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have some pics of my two fluffs. Got baron at 8 weeks, when we'd already had Pan (the cat) for about a year. She's incredibly timid, and I was so worried that she'd end up hating him, and leave home. He still gets the urge to chase her every now and then, and can be a bit obnoxious, but I'm happy with the general situation. It could definitely be much worse;)

Quite simply - he loves her, she tolerates him.

He was about 4 months old here

and around 7 months here

I actually caught them sleeping together the other day, for the first time ever! I was ecstatic, but couldn't take a better quality photo. He's a year old now

I still supervise all their interactions though, because she doesn't stand up for herself and literally lets him walk all over her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first one had a pet cat he would lick in the face. One day the malmute got in the house, and he spent weeks looking for his friend afterward. I think he suspected because he wasn't as friendily with the exwifes malmute afterward.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a cat (Vendetta) with my Pit Bull (Bear) and GSD (Wolf).

Surprisingly, Wolf came into our lives after the "12 week" deadline when you're supposed to socialize GSD's before they reject them. But a few weeks of patience and hard work payed off.

Now he's a year old, my cat is going on three, and my pit bull is two. They're all laying on the foot of my bed all curled up with the cat on top. They all know who's the alpha when it comes to it...and it's the kitty lol he will put the dogs in their place, and then groom them afterwards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not a GSD, but my husky mix puppy seems to love my bengal cat. My bengal cries for him and rubs against him when he comes. Yet, my other cat just avoids him. My lab and shepherd mix are older and just ignore the cats and the cats ignore the.

Do any of your dogs and cats clean each other? My two that get along seem to like cleaning each others ears.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Love the relationship between a dog an a cat.

We lost our cat Sept 2012 who ruled the house, and loved Dakota.

Since I've expanded my family with a Congo African Grey Parrot, I will not be adding another cat to my family.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I keep hoping my puppy will not be so ..focused.. on the cat. However, this morning I was working on some little tricks/obedience in the house and then was rewarding him for focusing on me and not the cat. The cat (who altho only 7 lbs is NOT afraid of him ...just doesn't want to get squashed) came and sat on the ground at my other side, pawing my leg for bites of his treats as well. She loves dog treats. So I gave each bits of treats side by side and they did really well. A few times Varik stuck his nose over the center line (mostly I just stuck a leg straight out and then redirected him, but once the cat hissed and swatted his nose as well. No claws, but at least she stands up for herself). I was pretty happy this morning...so much calmer. Hopefully as the puppy matures he will become a little more relaxed about the cat. He doesn't want to hurt her. He just thinks he HAS to stick his nose on her, follow her, just be all up in her business. She hates that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The relationship between my cats and my GS pup is a work in progress, but one of the cats and Juno seem to really enjoy "playing." I don't know how to post videos, but my pup has the goofiest dance with her head down and her tail up and lots of wiggling that just begs the cat to play. The cat obliges by running at her with a "claws in" paw. The cat used his claws once or twice and now Juno respects, lol.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You can tell who rules the roost in my house! 🤣 The really funny part is how the cat just walks away once the dogs are past. He was just doing it to harass them!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Agis still chases the cats on occasion, but also grooms them, and regularly hopefully brings our eldest cat his toys so they can play (Timothy gets an angry look...why are you shoving this in my face, dog?).

21 - 40 of 41 Posts