German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this one together and I'm really happy with it.

The KONG Frog carabiner (not the dog KONG company, it's a climbing company out of Italy) isn't cheap $19 on amazon right now, but the leashes I've seen made using them are all atrociously expensive.

So I decided to make my own. I bought the Frog clip off Amazon, went down to my local Army/Navy Surplus store and bought 3 yards of mil spec webbing $5, and two metal buckles $1, and put together an adjustable sling that I've used for both hands free running and a regular leash. All for $25

Which is about the same price as a regular running leash, made with far less durable materials. Mil spec webbing is rated to hold 4,000 lbs and the FROG clip is rated to around 5,000 lbs.

Anybody else make their own and love it?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Shadows long line is homemade and I recently made a second one. It cost me $5 for 75' of marine rope, on sale and I pillaged the clips from old leashes I had. I cut 25' of the rope, put a clip on either end, wrapped each end with electrical tape to prevent fraying and tied two knots to prevent it tightening around my waist and prevent it slipping loose. I have had it now for 7.5 years. If I need a running line I slip a leash handle over it and tie it between two trees and when we are hiking it gets clipped around my waist so my hands are free. Pretty good value.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I make handmade paracord leashes, 550 paracord and there 6 feet long and I add a handle, I dont trust flimsy store leashes. I even started donating some to a program that gives services dogs to veterans. View attachment 511721
Nice!

Do you braid those yourself?

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
Both those leashes look spiffy. However, as near as I've got is 1. At the fairgrounds to track but tracking lead at home. Improvised with bailing twine. Worked fine. Looked like recycled bailing twine. Colorful. 2. 15 ft cotton line came unstitched. Looped it through, tied it and stitched the tie down to the line. Works fine. As parts of this line weakened, I added strategic knots (It was used as a puppy tracer for a few months.) Saved buying a new one. Not particularly pretty but hey...

I prefer leather or cotton because although cotton can give you a rope burn, that pales compared to what a synthetic line can do to human extremities.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have 2 custom made, by k9noz, SuperGrip (non-slip) biothane leashes, one a long line, both with the kong frog carabiners. What's put me off making my own is ensuring the stitching wont rot or fail. I've had 2 clips fail with my dog, so I tend to be fussy about clip and stitch quality.

The webbing and paracord eliminate the stitch quality problem. Could the mil spec webbing and paracord give the handler friction burns?

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, got a nice leather multi function leash for 20 bucks at the county Fair.
Pffft! Leather from the county fair? Call me when your leash is rated to fast rope out of helicopters.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
We have some nice leather 6 ft leashes that we bought inexpensively. They look good and I like the grip. I can hold them anywhere. But they don't work for everything. I have cheap nylon leashes that I use for dragging. I have a nylon web 15 ft leash that has been with us for years and is incredibly multipurpose. I am looking for a few biothane lines. I have cotton long lines for trailing but they can stay wet a long time. Also when we go out on a boat, it would be nice to have two different colors, one for each dog. I guess I could make something myself and save a few bucks but I'm not sure how securely I could attach a solid clip.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Never used leather as SAR and fmf navy corpsman. Your point?
My point was to make people laugh. I see I have failed.

ETA: The joke was I was making fun of myself for putting together a “tactical leash” and pretending to act haughty about my “superior” item.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have some nice leather 6 ft leashes that we bought inexpensively. They look good and I like the grip. I can hold them anywhere. But they don't work for everything. I have cheap nylon leashes that I use for dragging. I have a nylon web 15 ft leash that has been with us for years and is incredibly multipurpose. I am looking for a few biothane lines. I have cotton long lines for trailing but they can stay wet a long time. Also when we go out on a boat, it would be nice to have two different colors, one for each dog. I guess I could make something myself and save a few bucks but I'm not sure how securely I could attach a solid clip.
A good option if you’re not big on sewing is rivets, you can get them at Lowe’s and they’ll hold.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
My point was to make people laugh. I see I have failed.

ETA: The joke was I was making fun of myself for putting together a “tactical leash” and pretending to act haughty about my “superior” item.
the trouble with text. gotta use the:wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
"Pffft! Leather from the county fair? Call me when your leash is rated to fast rope out of helicopters." So we have an "over builder" on board! Like making a platform for a 100# load that would hold 2k..... Just to make it heavy and a pain to move I suppose....

;)

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tennessee, nah, l'mjust getting old and crotchety!

'
I hear that's alot better than the alternative!

I mainly put it together cause the carabiner is so convenient, it's absolutely not necessary.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Um, you definitely don't fast rope on 3/4" webbing ?
Well Mr. Technical Man, I don't think dogs are actually fast roping on any diameter or composition of rope or woven fabric :wink2:

What I was referring to is below...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts