German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wade is 7 1/2 weeks old. I know it's really early to even think about training at this stage, but I do want him to start picking up on things, like not peeing in his crate or sitting for food. However, we have an adult pit bull/border collie in our house that is very high strung and distracts him a lot. So do you guys have any tips in teaching a pup with a hyperactive dog in the same room?

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
Yes, separate them when you're training the puppy. :) And it's really not to early to start training, I begin as soon as I bring home a new puppy. Obviously, they have very sport attention spans so training sessions should be very short, and they are not capable of learning complex behaviors, but I work on name recognition, rewarding for attention and coming towards me, sits and downs, impulse control, etc. Here's a link where you can see what Alexis is doing with her puppy Carma, who's only a couple weeks older than yours: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/241346-puppy-journals-blogs.html

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with Debbie, I train my dogs separately. It helps focus, now I can have both together because they're both older and not as easily distracted but I still do 50/50 seperate and side by side formal obedience

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the help! I will definitely try keeping them in separate rooms once my girlfriend comes back in town. He's been pretty attentive when we call him, but definitely gets easily distracted with the other dog in the room. Hopefully, this will make training him much easier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts