German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Can't find anything on titles and OFA testing. They mix lines (american showline, ddr, etc), so i'm not really sure what they're trying to accomplish with their breeding program. They have one "old fashioned" american german shepherd whatever that is or means. Definitely a big pet peeve for myself when they mention "old fashioned" when describing their dogs.

Not too sure on their health guarantees. A puppy has a 2 year warranty on hip dysplasia, but the OFA won't even look to offical (unless you do prelims) gradings until 2 years old, so i'm not sure about that breeders guarantee and why she just that time frame.

Probably nice people who care about their dogs, but definitely amateur hour over there. I personally wouldn't buy one of their dogs.

What are you trying to do with your new pup? Any sports or just a companion type thing? Any specific look you had in mind?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
First red flag for me was "puppies will be picked out in order of deposits." I don't think any breeder should put a family with a pup based on when the deposit was received - the pup should go with the family that matches its personality best.

They also guarantee the hips for 2 years. You can't have a dog OFA'd until they're 24 months old, so that can backfire easily unless maybe you go the DAY the dog turns 2 years old.

I DO like the fact that they said that in their contract that if you can't keep the dog, you are to give it back to them.

I don't like seeing 'old fashioned' on Alexis' page. That's a red flag, IMO.

Also, none of their dogs appear to have titles in any venue, such as SchH, agility, or OB, nor do they appear to have any health clearances. HUGE red flag to me. How can they guarantee their pups if their parents aren't cleared? Looks like they just got dogs from awesome lines (I don't know about lines, just going off of what it says on their dogs' pages), and then assumed that they're good for breeding.

Personally, I don't feel that their pups are worth $1,000. I wouldn't get a pup from them.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
First the red flag above, when they say puppies picked out in order of deposit.. That is a pretty normal practice,,,you send in a deposit your 1st on the waiting list, that type of thing..They aren't saying (atleast how I read it), that you get to go in and pick out your puppy,,puppies are matched, but in order of deposit.

Guaranteeing hips for 2 years is not an uncommon practice either, you can have hips prelimed, (if they are bad they ain't gonna get better),,yes, they can't get an official OFA number until 2, but they can certainly xray prior to that.

I agree, I see no titles or ofa's on the website, that I would check into and want to see it in writing...(espec ofa)....

It's a mishmash of lines, but Longworth is a very well known OLD kennel, that put out some amazing dogs, I see some ddr there, Reiko von hena-c being Masi's grandfather.

While it is a mishmash of lines, I have to say, I like the male Mikey. nice looking dog.

I think Doc would know more about the Longworth lines? I could be wrong.

It depends on what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
A few people mentioned this. Why does this description send up a red flag? What comes to mind when you see this? Just curious, I don't pay too much attention to it.
I know some of the time people use 'old fashioned' to mean HUGE! Though since the original GSD's were really pretty small ......... that never made sense to me either.

Since the GSD is not supposed to be a 100 + pound dog, if a breeder is purposely breed that and also saying that is what a 'real' GSD is supposed to be, it is mis-leading.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
A few people mentioned this. Why does this description send up a red flag? What comes to mind when you see this? Just curious, I don't pay too much attention to it.

Because 99% of the time people using that terminology are breeding out of standard dogs for pets. Dogs who are oversized, often long coated, with soft, low drive, laid back temperaments and marketing them to the general pet owning public as something rare and exclusive and indicating such giant, soft couch potatoes are the way a GSD used to be and is supposed to be.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
First red flag for me was "puppies will be picked out in order of deposits." I don't think any breeder should put a family with a pup based on when the deposit was received - the pup should go with the family that matches its personality best.
Indeed this is very common practice, nothing wrong with it. We do it this way too. Once Dennis has separated the pet vs. the working dogs. If lets say we have 5 working puppies, who ever put the deposit first gets the first pick, of course Dennis still matches the right puppy to the right owner.

I do see that with their last litter, they sold 2 puppies to the same family, a male and a female. :nono:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What I think when I read "old fashioned" depends on the context. In this context, it generally refers to an overweight, oversized dog with heavy bone and often poor color and pigment.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Because 99% of the time people using that terminology are breeding out of standard dogs for pets. Dogs who are oversized, often long coated, with soft, low drive, laid back temperaments and marketing them to the general pet owning public as something rare and exclusive and indicating such giant, soft couch potatoes are the way a GSD used to be and is supposed to be.
Yep - couldn't have said it better myself. Definitely a pet peeve of mine when i see that on a breeders website.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Chris, regarding the line "old fashioned", it turns me off asap:(

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I read that puppies are placed in order of deposit as a family gets to choose their own pup whenever they pay the deposit - my bad.

And when I see 'old fashioned' I also think of the oversized, overweight, long coated dogs. To me, it's not only misleading, but shows that the breeder doesn't have in-depth knowledge of the breed, given that just seeing pictures of REAL 'old' GSDs are nothing like what many breeders claim to be 'old fashioned.'

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
So, I had to go back and see the old fashioned shepherds. She only uses the term once and that's for Lexi. Maybe she refers to her that way because she carries for white? I didn't see any really large dogs or anything that led me to believe she's breeding larger than standard. Hard to tell in the pictures.

Alexis von Longworth aka Lexi
Lexi is our Old Fashioned American German Shepherd. She is black and silver. Her pedigree is filled with a variety of colors so she will be able to produce black and creams, black and tans and even white shepherds.

Blank

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I didn't look at this particular breeder's website to see how the term was being used. I simply responded to your general question as to why the phrasing of "old fashioned" seems to so often get lots of ruffled feathers around here. If that's the only occassion it is used here then it doesn't really apply in this case, and one could reasonably consider the Longworth lines to be "old fashioned American" lines.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I didn't look at this particular breeder's website to see how the term was being used. I simply responded to your general question as to why the phrasing of "old fashioned" seems to so often get lots of ruffled feathers around here.
And I appreciated the answer, I see the description used often and I'm never sure what they mean by it. I guess everyone means something different. :)

Once I looked at the site I wanted to make sure I came back on and noted what I saw. Didn't want my question or the answers to reflect back on the breeder in a negative way if they are a decent breeder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have experience with this breeder!

I first purchased a male German Shepherd puppy from DLS in March 2010 and I can't even begin to say enough great things about my dog as well as the breeder. I had a female GS from a another breeder that was a year old at the time I contacted DLS for a male. My female was $250.00 and was born on a ranch she had no papers the guy who bred them used his Shepherds as working ranch dogs. I just wanted a pet quality dog so no papers wasn't an issue for me. It wasn't until I got my male from DLS that I realized how huge of a difference good breeding makes. Now don't get me wrong I love and adore my older female however side by side my male outshines her in every area. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't get stopped by dozens of people complimenting me on how gorgeous he is and asking for my breeders information. His temperament is perfect and his hips checked out great so far (waiting until he is 2 to get an OFA on him) my veterinarian told me he was the nicest looking GS she has ever seen in her office and she has owned her practice for 20 years.

I recently inquired about showing him and was told he is show quality. Now I will say on that note that DLS DOES NOT guarantee that any of their dogs will be show quality nor are they working quality. DLS is very upfront about breeding dogs that are good quality and will work out perfectly as PETS. I personally also never saw any problem with them letting you pick your puppy in the order of the deposit I think that is very fair. DLS is a family breeder they have never claimed to be the best of the best it's pretty simple there are tons of breeders out there and you as the customer have the choice of who to buy from, go look at the websites and if you see something you don't like then don't buy a dog from them. I personally have no complaints I even purchased sisters from them in October and they are doing great! Just as beautiful as the male I got and not a problem so far.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
So the breeder let you take two pups together?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it possible that she just used the term "old fashioned" to describe the coloring of the dog and not the stature? I could be totally off here I am in no way a big time breeder but that was the impression I got when I visited the site because the dog was the typical German Shepherd coloring I was used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes she did but that was only because I already had one from her and she has visited him on a regular basis and see's how good we care for him. I own a house on half an acre and I am also a dog trainer and groomer I have been working with dogs for 15 years now so I am experienced with them. I had previously invited the breeder in to my home to see where the dogs would be living and to interview us and determine if she was comfortable placing two at once.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts