German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs are not allowed in the basement at all... it's a completely finished basement that we would like to be able to use more, but... every time the dogs get down there they either pee or poop on the floor! They are perfectly trained everywhere else.
We have shampooed the carpet twice (once it was done professionally). Is there anything we can do short of sealing the floor and recarpeting??? It is so annoying!!!!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
is there like, an odor or something down there? like maybe you can't smell it but the dogs can? maybe that would make them pee/poop down there if they smell something? idk, lol im not trying to say you basement stinks so don't like get it wrong!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Since they are "not allowed down there" they probably don't associate the basement as "part of the house", and figure since it isn't the "house" in MUST be the "bathroom".

Even some dogs that are 1000% housebroken AT HOME will "go" in a strange house.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
What I would do is treat them as though they were not house trained when they are in the basement (because they aren't.) So what you are needing to do is house train them to the basement. This behavior can also occur if you relocate to a much larger house.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadthis is easy. it's obvious they don't like the decor. redue the basement for them.

My pup Kodee was doing this in the hallway back by the bedrooms, after we had an addition put onto the house. The hallway is part of the addition, as are the bedrooms. He's not allowed in the bedrooms, but he can go into the hallway. I think he didn't realize it was "part of his territory", and thought he could poop there (he did this twice before I caught on). I started spending more time w/him in the hallway, playing w/toys, sitting on the floor w/him, etc, and he no longer poops back there.

They just need to spend more time (supervised, of course) in the basement until they figure out it's part of their territory, and they don't want to soil it. Just my unprofessional opinion.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
We have a finished basement, but we don't use it very often - I usually use it for Kaiser's playroom when it's raining outside!

The first time I took him down there, he lifted his leg - I was right there and yelled "Hey!" before he was able to do anything, and took him back upstairs to go outside.

He never did that again, and I think it was mainly because the first time he was down there, he didn't realize it was a part of the house and since we were there to play, we must be outside!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much! I guess we'll have to start working on it. SInce we don't spend a whole lot of time down there I guess I didn't realize it wasn't obvious to them it was part of the house... duh!
We'll let you know how is goes.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Originally Posted By: KodeeGirl
Originally Posted By: doggiedadthis is easy. it's obvious they don't like the decor. redue the basement for them.

My pup Kodee was doing this in the hallway back by the bedrooms, after we had an addition put onto the house. The hallway is part of the addition, as are the bedrooms. He's not allowed in the bedrooms, but he can go into the hallway. I think he didn't realize it was "part of his territory", and thought he could poop there (he did this twice before I caught on). I started spending more time w/him in the hallway, playing w/toys, sitting on the floor w/him, etc, and he no longer poops back there.

They just need to spend more time (supervised, of course) in the basement until they figure out it's part of their territory, and they don't want to soil it. Just my unprofessional opinion.
i was joking about giving the basement another make over!!!!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
DoggieDad - I know - see me rofl???
I thought the joke was funny...

then I added my non-humorous opinion. Tee hee...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the basement makeover sounds great, lol. At least I could use that as an excuse!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I am curious, why are the dogs given an opportunity to even go down there. I do rescue, and sometimes they fight. So I fence them off in my house.

Once you keepvyour dgos out of the basement, lets see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts