German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Luno is 5.5 month old and finish his puppy class weeks ago and it is time for him to be enrolled into something more grown up. Luno is a purebred but I haven't sent in his AKC papers. I want to start something else other than obedience and I was looking for suggestions and whether it is usual to do multiple things such as agility and Schutzhund and do I need to send in papers. Plus like I said before hes not registered, not thinking it was important since hes neutered and I wont be breeding him does this matter? I just want to find something that is fun for both of us to learn together since this is new for both of us. Plus I'm in the central IL area (Peoria) any suggestions on where to go, or any experiences from local places.

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
One benefit of registration is you can participate in AKC events. If you want to do AKC agility and stuff, you'll need to send in his papers.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
You can participate in agility or rally classes with an unregistered dog. If you want to do the AKC events, get an ILP registration.
For SchH you don't need anything but a dog that has the right stuff!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Abby and I done an agility class for pups and that was enjoyable.
My favorite thing to do is tracking, and we are slowly working our way into it. Abby is a natural and I'm very excited to see what some formal training might do for her.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
So Luno is 5.5 month old and finish his puppy class weeks ago and it is time for him to be enrolled into something more grown up. Luno is a purebred but I haven't sent in his AKC papers. I want to start something else other than obedience and I was looking for suggestions and whether it is usual to do multiple things such as agility and Schutzhund and do I need to send in papers. Plus like I said before hes not registered, not thinking it was important since hes neutered and I wont be breeding him does this matter? I just want to find something that is fun for both of us to learn together since this is new for both of us. Plus I'm in the central IL area (Peoria) any suggestions on where to go, or any experiences from local places.

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!!
:greet: I'm in Peoria Heights

There is a SchH club in Dunlap - I have not checked them out yet
if you are willing to drive a bit there is also one in Springfield

There is an agility place at Peoria Obedience Training Club (POTC)- will be checking that out in a month

Where have you been taking classes?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all and thank for all the advice!!!!! We have only done the puppy class at petsmart mainly for the socializing and to teach me to teach him basic commands:D I was looking at that website as well POTC.

Sagefln~ do you ever take sage to the off leash park at bradley? I never see any Shepherds!!!!!!!:gsdhead:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't finish my thought..... I meant to say that I looked at there website and it looks really nice hopefully someone on here has used them before! I'm just looking for some one with personal experience with the trainers there.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I didn't finish my thought..... I meant to say that I looked at there website and it looks really nice hopefully someone on here has used them before! I'm just looking for some one with personal experience with the trainers there.
I met with some people from there at the "Bark in the park" event on Sunday. They seemed really knowledgeable and nice.

I would stay away from Heartland Dog Training. They only allow choke collar training.

Who did you have at Petsmart? I know both Keneen and Lucas. They are decent trainers. I go there for socialization and to keep Sage busy.

I do go to Bradley dog park. Lately I've been going to the upper park because its less crowded (room to play frisbee) and all the problem dogs seem to be at the lower park. If its not crowded though I am at the lower one. I've only seen 2 GSDs at the park. If its nice I'll probably go Sunday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sagelfn~ I haven't taken classes in Peoria petsmart it was in another area. Thanks for the information on Heartland I really do not want to use any kind of choke collar ever.

Does anyone know what they use in SchH training, is it more of an aggressive kind of training or clicker training? I'm new to all of this so I don't know. Luno knows what the clicker is but I do not use it religiously about 50/50 when we train is that bad?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
a clicker is a marker so if you are giving a cosistant marker then you should be fine.

I've only just started looking into SchH, you might want to start a new thread about SchH training methods. I'm pretty sure with young pups and any dog just starting out the focus is to build confidence and teach the dog what to do. Once the dog knows what to do then corrections come in when the dogs doesn't comply. The type of correction will vary.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You should definitely send his papers in - it's pretty inexpensive and if you decide to compete, you'll be glad you registered him. If you wait to register him, they charge considerably more after the dog is a year old, then after they are 2, then 3, etc.

Is Luno from lines which have done well in protection sports (or protection work)? Just because a dog is a GSD doesn't mean they are suitable for protection work - coming from a breeder who selects for it is helpful but no guarantee of success. Occasionally dogs who have no family background of this sort of work can do well at it but that isn't really the norm. I'm not saying not to try it if that is really what you want to do, just that you should understand Schutzhund isn't for all dogs (or handlers!). The training methods in SchH can vary from heavily positive to heavily correction based and every thing in between. If you are strongly opposed to the use of choke, prong or e-collars, Schutzhund may not be for you. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a SchH club that doesn't use those some of those tools for at least some dogs. Of course, you should never allow any trainer to push you into something you are not comfortable with, regardless of what you're training for.

Agility and obedience are sports which a much wider range of temperament types (dogs and handlers!) can be successful. Methods for agility more often than not, tend to be much more on the positive side with the use of harsh corrections in agility class generally not viewed as being PC. Competition obedience, like schutzhund can vary greatly depending on where you train.

From what you have posted I would say that agility is probably most in line with what you seem to be looking for - you can do it for fun, it's fast paced and not as "picky" as competition obedience, methods are generally very positive based and dogs and people usually enjoy both it a lot. A bonus would be finding a good trainer in your area who has a good puppy agility/foundation class that you can sign up for :) If you can't get in right away, I think Petsmart offers a Clicker Tricks class which might be good to do while waiting for agility to start. Tricks can set a great foundation for agility by teaching body awareness and building a good working relationship. Tricks are also a great way to teach your dog "how to learn" or teach them how this whole training things works.

As for not using a clicker all the time being bad - it's not bad but it's much more clear to your dog to mark the behavior they are getting a treat for. I teach both the clicker and a word (yes) as markers, so if I don't have a clicker on me, I still have a way of telling the dog "this is why you're being rewarded".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts