German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flock of sheep and would like Mila to at least have some herding skills.

She is going to puppy school at the moment for obedience training.

Will I be able to train her myself on some herding skills, or does this need to be done by a professional? Also what material is out there that you can recommend.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks will go through the threads?

Most farmers here have Border Collies. I will reach out to local GSD club as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Hi Ivan, I think everyone will agree you'll need an instructor/mentor, the thought of training a single young dog without one is pretty daunting (unless you've been doing it for a long time). I started the thread that Mary Beth linked to (thanks! :) ) to track my progress with my second dog.

The instructor I go to has multiple different groups of sheep that help the dog learn and progress. "Test"/ "Heavy" sheep (not very reactive, knee-knockers, predictable) to start out with, then "Trial" sheep (moderately more reactive) and then Light / wilder sheep, ewes with lambs, lambs, new sheep not accustomed to being worked by a dog, etc. things that you'd encounter in a real farming venue, that pose additional challenges. Trying to start a dog on a mixed, wilder group of sheep (or lambs) will be incredibly difficult.... like throwing a kid into the ocean on their first day of swimming lessons.

There's no substitute for an instructor, but out of all the books I've read, these are my favorites that I've kept on my bookshelf as resources.

Herding Dogs: Progressive Training Herding Dogs: Progressive Training: Vergil S. Holland: 9780876056448: Amazon.com: Books

Stockdog Savvy Stockdog Savvy: Jeanne Joy Hartnagle-Taylor, Ty Taylor: 9781577791065: Amazon.com: Books

Teaching the Rules of the Hunt: an Introduction to Herding Teaching the Rules of the Hunt, An Introduction to Herding: Dawna Sims with Cathy Sumeracki, Leslie Townsend: 9780578092539: Amazon.com: Books

1 - 4 of 4 Posts