German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 yr old German shepherd who has allergies. He's itchy, and been going back and forth to vet. Anyone have a good recommendation for a good dog food? Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine were not itchy but at the time my 8 year GSD was having problems with hips; and my 6 year old Malamute/shepherd has had seizures most of her life. After a time period of trying everything, I began feeding them a zero grain diet.. my GSD improved greatly and passed away a year ago at 13 1/2. My Malamute/shepherd has a minor seizure every 5 to 6 months and is doing well. Not sure if this information will help the itchiness..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine were not itchy but at the time my 8 year GSD was having problems with hips; and my 6 year old Malamute/shepherd has had seizures most of her life. After a time period of trying everything, I began feeding them a zero grain diet.. my GSD improved greatly and passed away a year ago at 13 1/2. My Malamute/shepherd has a minor seizure every 5 to 6 months and is doing well. Not sure if this information will help the itchiness..
Thank you so much for your help, I'm trying Natural Balance a limited ingredient dog food. I believe its grain free. Hoping that helps him. Sorry to hear about your GSD, they are such amazing animals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you so much for your help, I'm trying Natural Balance a limited ingredient dog food. I believe its grain free. Hoping that helps him. Sorry to hear about your GSD, they are such amazing animals.
Thank you, its been a tearstained year. He was my number one buddy; and I'm kind of lost without him... even my Malamute / shepherd seems still effected by his death. I'm not knowledgeable about Natural Balance but the ingredients should state if it grain free or not. While reading this post, although its about rehoming a GSD there is a lot of detail concerning skin issues and what has worked for others. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, its been a tearstained year. He was my number one buddy; and I'm kind of lost without him... even my Malamute / shepherd seems still effected by his death. I'm not knowledgeable about Natural Balance but the ingredients should state if it grain free or not. While reading this post, although its about rehoming a GSD there is a lot of detail concerning skin issues and what has worked for others. Hope this helps.
Yes I just looked at the ingredients again, it is a gran free dog food! Thank you SO much for sending me that other womans info. I'm going to look into that shampoo. Its worth a try..
They become your best friend, so its of course its hard not having them. I have a black lab/rotti mix and we had an English bulldog who passed away 2 years ago. My lab/rotti was lost without her as well as me..My son decided to bring home our now 1yr GSD. The two of them are best buddies.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for all those options, never even heard of most of those brands lol

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
You're very welcome!

Those are "real" foods...HK is dehydrated and the others are all quality raw, ground meat....
not extruded kibble.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
You can get The Honest Kitchen. Not cheap but has helped MANY dogs!

10 pounds rehydrates to about 40 pounds, but you feed more of it than kibble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey there, my shepherd has a chicken allergy which has proved to be a pain in the butt.
most dry kibble foods are chicken or if they say they are beef on the front when u read the ingredients it still somehow has some form of chicken in it!
finalky I found merrick grain free real Texas beef and sweet potato blend. So I’ve had him on that for past year along with a mix of raw beef and meaty real bones for snacks, and occasional sardine that’s frozen as a special treat with omega 3s. im not sure if or even what your dogs allergy is, but there’s a start for ya. Apparently of all the proteins chicken is most often the allergen meat wise. But it could be a number of things..trial and error and ruling it out will eventually come. Check out some vids on the BARF diet too, sounds pretty good to me. Biologicaly appropriate raw food.
good luck! Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
116 Posts
My last 2 dogs has itch's so bad hey would scratch themselves raw...I felt so bad for them. Numerous vet visits yielded negative results with the treatments provided ...'they have an allergy'.

When I rescued Saint, it will be 2 years in July, I took desperate measures. Against conventional advice I started rinsing Saint off with chlorinated water. I put a 4in chlorine tablet in his doggie pool when he gets out of the pond I rinse him off. His fur is always soft and he likes it.

As an aside my wife thought it might be the food causing the allergy so at about the same time we switched over to 'taste of the wild' high prairie blend.

The food is expensive but worth every penny ...if that is what's preventing allergies.

My theory using the chlorinated water is that small microscopic mites, in the grass and water are causing the itching and using chlorinated water keeps them in check. 1 tablet will last about 3 weeks in the wading pool and the water stays clear.

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but there it is.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Victor Hero Canine.

Great stuff. Very reasonably priced. About $79 / 50 lb bag.

Not generally sold at big box retailers.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts