German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Sherman grows I am curious to know if anyone else has ever had this mix. Any pics of what they looked like at adulthood? This is Sherman, he is almost 8 months and 80some lbs. I would love to see pics of others. We thought he was English Mastiff/ GSD mix, but not sure now if it English or Bull (giving his stoutness)....any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
He is a cutie. It could be the way he is sitting, but he looks a little on the heavy side.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Yeah he looks *ahem* chubby to me.
If you can't easily feel his ribs, maybe he's a bit on the pudgy side, which isn't good if he's going to be large, as it's a huge stress on their joints.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that pic makes him look a bit beefy. Must be the camera adding 10 lbs:D He still has great waist definition when standing, and while you can't see his ribs you can feel them. I asked the vet if he thought he was overweight at his last appt (because my husband calls him chubs) and he didn't think he was. Very true though it is something to watch out for.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Vets don't like to tell their clients unless it's a pretty severe problem, because it offends some of them :)

I see it in his chest too - which takes time to pack on. But it could be the pics and angle. Do you have more of him?

I was going to mention that when we first started doing rescue we had a Newf x Lab. You could just tell by the bone structure this was going to be a very large dog as an adult.
Some people applied who stated they had a Lab x Newfie now and wanted to adopt this kiddo we had, so we approved them and they came to get the dog.

Well, when they arrived they were talking about their dog and he looked more like a Spaniel mix, a medium sized dog, no more than that. But fat. OMG. They were feeding him for a large breed dog and this poor guy was around 50-60lb. and probably should have been no more than 40lb. I didn't say much because I figured I'd never convince them their dog was fat and not a Newf x., and I'd just offend them.

But I know that as that puppy grew up, he became much larger than their 1st "Newf x"!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It very well could just be the pic. I took a pic of Sasha the other day that made her look like a cow. she has a nice waist and you can see her ribs, but that picture makes her look like she could roll into town. lol

He's so cute btw!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Msvette, our old vet in Wisconsin cared about my feelings. Our one we've had in St Louis for the last 6 years....I don't think he's aware people have feelings:eek:( I have friends who use him as well, one he very flat out stated their lab was fat and if they wanted him to be around much longer they better fix that, my other friend with a bassett he told her it was obvious he came from a BYB) I will definetely keep an eye on Sherman though. Of course since a mothers love may be blind....I posted a couple more pics. If he is "chunky" I would rather know so that I can adjust his food/activity.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lexi is cute!! They look so much alike!! What is her personality like? What is her full grown size? Sorry so many questions....we've never had a mix dog before so there are so many things you know with a full breed that are completely up in the air with a mix! Did I mention she is so cute!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the link....I guess in all honesty maybe he is bordering somewhere between ideal and overweight. I guess I better look at his eating and exercise regimen a bit. He only eats about 4 cups a day, which is considerably less than one would think.... his waist is still visible when viewing from above, and there is a tuck there....but upping his exercise probably isn't a bad idea, he is kind of a couch potato. (he does get at least 1 usually 2 walks a day, plus fetch time, plus playing with K time)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
this was my roxy, we just lost her a few weeks ago, but she was the most loyal and smartest k9 ive ever had, and ive had many over the years. she was only 10 years old when we lost her but it was time, she had a rough last year.
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sweet face she had.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
this was my roxy, we just lost her a few weeks ago, but she was the most loyal and smartest k9 ive ever had, and ive had many over the years. she was only 10 years old when we lost her but it was time, she had a rough last year.
I've lost two at the ten year mark. My American Band Dawg Gunther ... Bull/Masstiff (Breed that shall not be mentioned)/Lab first and then three years later my White Boxer Struddell.

I got them three years apart and three years later "Struddell, was gone also. Sorry for your loss. :(

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Hey ... this is a very old thread ... but welcome aboard in anycase. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heres another. Although he looks extremely aggressive he’s actually just barking at me to throw his ball.
Taken 2014

·
Registered
14 Posts
Max is my new one year shepherd mix, he's tall and lanky (26 in long, 26 tall) and 75 lb. Much more mellow than a GSD, we are thinking he maybe has some anatolian in him (although theyre not chill either)? But it's a guess right now. Cute dogs!
image0 (15).jpg

image0 (9).jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts