German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I don't know anything about the dogs in his pedigree, so I can't speak to them. I agree with Alphamom that he looks overweight. Also there are no OFA hip or elbow scores for him or his dam on PedigreeDatabase. They might have hip certifications and they're just not on PDB; something to ask the breeder about.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

AWESOME!! Thank you for finding and posting this! I will be asking the breeder about all this stuff, but I like to do my own research as well. Especially since I dont know what any of the pedigree stuff really means....I could be told lies!!

I just don't want to end up with a dog that is going to have multiple problems down the road. The sire is supposed to be an East German import....but it's not like I breed and would know the difference ya know! I have a gsd, and tons of books and have educated myself very well on the breed....but I'm no expert!

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
The sire is half sibling to my dogs sire (Zidane as father). :)

I know that Zidane was (is) considered to be an awesome working dog. I don't know about the dams side.

Will agree with the others though that he looks overweight and very out of condition. :confused:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If he's an import I'm surprised his dam doesn't have a show rating. Don't they have to be breed surveyed to be registered in Germany?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My mother taught me: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention to that, either.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Dasty is East German, Mink is back there in the 6th generation, he is West German, then there is some Czech in there too. A real hodge podge of lines, then throw the dams side in there. What are they breeding for?? How are they improving the breed.

I dont like the hips that are being thrown either. Not strong in the good hip department. Then throw the dam in. Is she OFA'd. I hope so. You can look up reg # of the dam on the OFA database to see if she has been x-rayed.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
This dog is not an import. Neither is his dam. His sire is and import, as are his dam's parents. But he is not. Not East German either.
Note to the OP: Just because he is not an import and is not East German doesn't make him a bad dog. :) However if the breeder is telling you that he is, that should pop up some red flags.

Chris, thanks for confirming that. I was thinking his lineage didn't look East German but don't feel nearly educated enough to state it.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Dasty is not East German. He is about 1/4 DDR, the rest West German. Not enough to call him East German.

The same holds true for the rest of the pedigree. Yes, there is a smattering of DDR in this pedigree, but it is all quite a few generations back. And a bit of Czech up closer. But the overwhelming majority of the pedigree is West German. There is certainly not enough DDR in there for this dog to be considered "East German".

Not that there is anything wrong with mixing DDR, Czech and West German lines as this is often done for very good reasons and very good results. I'm just point this out because it looks like someone told the OP that the "sire is East German" and, well, no, he is not.

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
von Alk or von ALK is Alabama K9's kennel name.....as others say - he is a mix of European lines - Belgian, WGR, a little Czech....

The OFA page is a good resource..........look at the littermates - look at the half siblings.....the sire line is not a strong resource for good hips.....very few failures/poor results are published...

While a pedigree with lots of well known dogs - I would study the prospective dam's lines for strengths to compensate for the less positive aspects in the males...

Lee

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
So on the OFA page that Kendra posted a link to, the entries that only have a number are non-published results, as opposed to the entries that do have a term, like Good, or Mild?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So on the OFA page that Kendra posted a link to, the entries that only have a number are non-published results, as opposed to the entries that do have a term, like Good, or Mild?
You can click on each dog's name and it will show their results individually.

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
the rating is a code within the number - either a G, F or E - there are alot of dogs who have been submitted who do not show up....I know of at least 3 personally - so probably lots more that I don't know of...

Lee

1 - 20 of 26 Posts