German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband came across a stray dog a couple years ago and we still aren't sure what she is. She is white, black stripe down her back, curled tail, red tips on her ears. She only weighs about 45-50 lbs and has the strangest temperament. First of all, she was "wild" when my husband took her in (scratch at the walls, doors, windows, etc.) pace wildly, shredded Sheetrock trying to get out. She ran away for a week the first time my husband let her out and came home on her own. Secondly, I've never seen a dog more loyal or attached to my husband. She heels naturally, follows him like a shadow. When he says no, even if she is in a dead run, she freezes. With her loyalty she is also super protective of my husband and their shared space. Never been dog friendly, especially if they get in her bubble (she has adapted to our other dogs, but it took a LONG time). She dens. She has dug a hole so deep she can get all the way in it and then turn around. She likes "cubbies" or little nooks. Incredibly picky eater. Refuses bread. Really only eats meat, egg, oils, etc. some of her behaviors I have attributed to her fending for herself for who knows how long. She also has incredibly hairy paws on the underside, I mean excessively long. Last thing about her, escape artist to the max. Jumps 6 ft fences, squeezes through tiny holes to get out and go explore/hunt (always comes home) but we have yet to find a pen to contain her, so she goes with my husband everywhere (work, store, vacations). We once had a 4ft high chain link pen with livestock panels wired to the top and bottom...she pushed through a 4 in x 4 in hole at the top of the pen and was waiting for us at the gate when we came home. My husband believes she may have been crossed with a coyote due to her "wild" antics. I believe she may be white shepherd/husky mix, but can't be sure because of her small stature. Would love some extra opinions, any comments welcome!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She's gorgeous! The second picture is all husky but with a narrower head. When I lived in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico there were lots of coyotes and wild dogs. She doesn't look anything like a coyote to me but her behavior sounds very much like a husky. They really enjoy doing their own thing and are notorious escape artists. That combined with her semi-feral background must make for an interesting companion!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
She looks like a Husky mix to me (mostly Husky, but perhaps with 1/4 GSD). The behaviors you describe are all Husky! Right down to the denning and escapes.
Sheilah

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with husky. She's lovely..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the replies/comments! She is a very sweet little dog! Didn't mention her name, it's Raven :)
I there a reason for her frame being so small? I've never owned a husky but I thought they were a bit thicker/bulkier? Same with GSD, I would think that combo would make her bigger, she's very petite... ImageUploadedByPG Free1368536517.564838.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
@MichelleMC
What a pretty girl! Thanks for showing them next to one another!! Does your husky have super hairy paws (underside)?

Honestly, I am not sure. I have never noticed if she has. But the pink on your dogs nose indicates husky as well. A lot of huskies have it. Mine does on the top too. Just much smaller and less noticeable. Whatever your girl is, she is beautiful.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I see mostly husky also. And she likely get her size from that, also. Siberian Husky bitches are only supposed to be 20 to 22 inches tall, and weigh 35 to 50 pounds, according to the standard.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think she is husky/German shepherd . I see a lot of gsd indicators like satellite dishes for ears and the way she sits. Also, some one on here told me about stripes down the back of female wgsl. Except, on your dog its dark instead of Gray.

very pretty . I like that she's part wild :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts