German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am the owner of an 8 yr old GSD.

I just noticed when I gave her a bath that the area under her collar has lost almost all of the hair and its very rough and scaly, its not a rash, it does not look irritated but its definitely not like the usual area under a collar (a little less hair than the rest of the body,) and it cant have been there for that long because I gave her a bath about a month ago. It was mostly covered by her collar so I didn't notice it until now.

She has had skin problems before but almost every issue went away when I changed her food to Taste of the Wild. (I think she has a corn allergy.)

I've attached some images of the weird patch. (Also a funny one of the treat she got after her little photo session! lol)

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, she is already scheduled for a vet visit next week but I'd still appreciate any ideas!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
The dark thickened skin is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. I would have the vet run some bloodwork. There are lots of things it could be, but based on her age and the look, that would be my first thought

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you so much for mentioning that! I will ask the vet about this and ask for a test. She has a LOT of the symptoms! (Except that she has always been on the skinny side... still its worth a shot considering she has all of the other things mentioned on webMD!)

The dark thickened skin is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. I would have the vet run some bloodwork. There are lots of things it could be, but based on her age and the look, that would be my first thought

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts