Discussion Starter #1
1st vet said allergies...
2nd vet said EPI

I'm thinking....

Bowel Disease
Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth...
Whipworms...

Here's his symtomes:
Watery - solid stools. (mainly watery - cowpie)
NOT Vomiting
Severe weight loss
(vet SAID they saw fat in blood but again they said a lot of things...)
VERY Hungry.
Not dehydrated.

He was on Natural Balance and is switching to Blue Buffalo

Vet told me to feed low fat so his body can sort through it easier and he can take easier to digest food.

I am trying a low fat high fiber formula (yellow bag of blue)

Does anyone have any clue of anything else or maybe a reason why they think it or one of my assumptions?
The vet wants to do a surgery thats going to cost 500$ to take parts of his intestines to Pheonix to be tested... I think thats the last they need to do since everything else has been wrong and hes HAD solid stool some days....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I`d be looking for another vet, and get the blood test for EPI, bout $200 to $250, it does sound like EPI, and PLEASE dont wait too long,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was on treatment for EPI and nothing happened. He got the b12 and everything and his enzymes and nothing happened... I took him off and he is still on the same page...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Have you tested him for EPI yet? It's a simple blood test that will either confirm or rule it out. If he does have EPI he is literally starving to death :(

Here is the test that he needs: Serum Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity (TLI) - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

I would also order the Cobalamin/Folate at the same time: Serum Cobalamin (Vitamin B12) and Folate - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

Here is a great EPI group with a ton of info: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

There is also a diarrhea panel that my vet runs, not cheap but checks for a lot things: http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pdf/en_us/smallanimal/reference-laboratories/diagnostic-updates/realpcr-canine-feline-diarrhea-panels.pdf

Good luck!

Michaela

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes he had a fecal but they found nothing. Not sure if i trust them tho. I still want to treat him for whipworm. vet 1 did fecal vet 2 did blood test. fat was found in blood nothing was found in fecal. that they said.. he was treated for something but im not sure but i know it would treat giardiah too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
A fecal test will not detect EPI. Heidigsd summarized the tests you need to get done. Please note your dog needs to fast for 12 hours before taking the test.

My GSD had chronic diarrhea and after EPI test confirmed it wasn't EPI we treated with the antibiotic Tylan for SIBO, which you have mentioned above.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
It could be his liver, cannot cope with food you give him, too many preservatives in it. Water - bottled water only. Feed chicken breast with well cooked rice once a day, yogurt as a second meal. Force 4-5 cloves of garlic into throat daily as disinfectant. Buy in your local chemist or via Internet a product called "Phyto-Med" to keep the level of lactobacterium in his guts high. All of these - would not harm him. See what happens on a third day.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Rather than take your dog to vet after vet, try a more raw, pure diet. You can start with a dehydrated raw product and/ or prepared frozen raw.

For almost the first two years of my dog's life it seemed like we'd be going to the vet every 3 weeks for the type of stool you are describing. She was said to have colitis, the vet's treatment did not work. Going from homecooked to dehydrated raw, then phasing out kibble all together worked. I don't need to spend $1000 at the vet to find out kibble does not work, it just doesn't.

If on this diet your dog still has issues, then pursue more tests.

Also your dog could have a muliple problems. Besides a GI issue, extreme hunger could be diabetes - due to low insulin production or faulty insulin receptors on cells, your dog is not getting the glucose or energy it needs and then a message is sent to the brain to eat more. The pancreas I believe also releases enzymes to break down fat. Another thing relating to fat in the blood, could be diabetes. When the cells cannot get energy from glucose, the body starts breaking down fats for energy, usually shows up as ketones. It's been a while since I had some science classes, so this might not be accurate, just giving you some avenues to check.

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
First, I would definitively test for EPI. It may be that the enzymes and food needed to be adjusted rather than just stopping treatment and assume that was the wrong diagnosis.

Second, there is Irritable Bowel Syndrome and SIBO. Were either if these tested for? What about pancreatitis?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I am trying a low fat high fiber formula (yellow bag of blue)

Annamaet Lean dog food is great for dogs with pancreatic issues. Its high in protein and low in fat. My GSD and Golden would often go back and forth with the icky poop. They seem to eat less of the food to.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I had a foster with EPI. The dosage the first vet prescribed did not lead to any improvement and the vet suggested euthanasia. I took him to a second vet who said to double the enzyme dosage. The dog showed dramatic improvement within two weeks and was at normal weight a month later. Neither vets had experience with EPI management. I could not find one that did. The yahoo epiglobal group was very helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks a ton guys!
I love all the ideas.
No he was just blood tested with fat in his blood.
No SIBO test just looked at symtoms on that and it was right.

Hes on Metrodizinole right now to clear out bactier then is going to panicure for any types of worms. We are going to rule some stuff out and then start taking him to the vet again while I put him on a raw diet (raw chicken) for a few days and see if his poo changes. if it does then ill look more into the raw diets with what all he needs for protein.

does that sound ok?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
thanks a ton guys!
I love all the ideas.
No he was just blood tested with fat in his blood.
No SIBO test just looked at symtoms on that and it was right.

Hes on Metrodizinole right now to clear out bactier then is going to panicure for any types of worms. We are going to rule some stuff out and then start taking him to the vet again while I put him on a raw diet (raw chicken) for a few days and see if his poo changes. if it does then ill look more into the raw diets with what all he needs for protein.

does that sound ok?
If you know what you are doing with raw, then give it a try, otherwise I would do a bland diet first.

Have you tried just a bland diet (no kibble) for a few days? Like soft, cooked white rice or pasta and boiled chicken, boiled ground beef or cottage cheese? I'd try a small meals of one part carb to one part protein.

If your vet has not given you a probiotic to take with the antibiotic, I'd ask about that. You can also ask your vet for some low residue canned food. Try the homemade diet and low residue diet for a few days and see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts