German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week old GSD that vomits on almost every single road trip. Sometimes within just 20-30 min of driving. The problem is that I will be traveling on the road from Texas to Florida (10 hr drive) with her and I don't want her to be miserable on the way. Any safe medicines or ideas that will help? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have a 15 week old GSD that vomits on almost every single road trip. Sometimes within just 20-30 min of driving. The problem is that I will be traveling on the road from Texas to Florida (10 hr drive) with her and I don't want her to be miserable on the way. Any safe medicines or ideas that will help? Thanks for any advice.
If she's in a wire crate try covering it with a sheet or blanket. You can also try opening a window just a little bit. Hopefully she'll outgrow it, good luck.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Remo, who is a member here and very active in GSD rescue, recommended Happy Traveler All Natural Calming Product. She said it has worked great with many of her rescue dogs. I purchased some online, but have not tried it yet. It's made by Ark Naturals. You can google it. Bottle says, "for cats and dogs 12 weeks and older."

·
Registered
31,365 Posts
Ask your vet for Cerenia. Follow the instructions to the TEE! It was a life saver for me!

·
Registered
151 Posts
A covered crate made a huge difference for us. Don't take her on rides on a full stomach, even a short ride. Blast the AC. These all helped my pup.

I'd see the vet for something for a long trip.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Put the dog where it can see out the window, preferably facing front. Don't feed too much. Before you go, take short car trips in your neighborhood and back home before the dog can vomit. They can get used to it. One of mine threw up every car trip if we fed the dog first, then outgrew it. We used the short trip method.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My pup was better with the AC than the windows down. He liked to stick his nose right in front of it and it kept him from panting. We've never taken him on a long trip though. He thankfully grew out of the car sickness but that doesn't help you right now!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kane got car sick after only 10-15 minutes every single time until he was about 6 months old. We tried everything (except Cerenia); even the Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) had zero effect. Poor guy! He just had to outgrow it & we always had to pack lots of crate cleaning supplies.

For us, he suffered most when he had a completely empty stomach and would vomit bile that would get all over himself and his crate and then continue to dry heave. With a little kibble in his tummy he'd vomit up a more solid, easier to clean mess, we'd clean up and he was generally ok for the rest of the trip. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a dog once that did not outgrow it. The vet recommended melatonin (1 tab). It was the only thing that worked however still had some drooling though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts