German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the very beginning stages of learning to take bites on dogs safely and develop grips. Just wondering where everyone’s favorite equipment is from. Who’s your go to manufacturers? What’s your typical sleeve progression(brand/model)? Do you prefer scratch pants or a leather apron? Where’d you purchase them? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't know who you are learning from but I'd wager you are being taught incorrectly. Young pups are best started out on a small bleach bottle tied to a string and a short stick. You want to make enough prey to get the pup's interest, but not so much you are "begging" the pup to bite. Unlike jute, a bleach bottle doesn't allow a pup to get any accidental bites by getting his teeth caught in the jute. The pup learns he has to possess the bottle or he will lose it. Next, you should go to a leather pillow. The leather is slick and forces a dog to bite down hard or lose his prey. Here is a larger pillow but you can find smaller one on this site for younger pups.
Aprons are useless. Nylon scratch pants are preferable to leather. It is so much more about correct technique than equipment with the exception of early prey objects like the bleach bottle and leather pillows. If a dog keeps missing, don't increase the prey movement, simply put the dog up after several misses.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I would work with a club and let those mentor you, they will tell you the equipment they prefer. If you don't have access to a club, maybe join Pronounced K9. PronouncedK9

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located? There's a ton of equipment that I like, depending on what we're working on :) Most often, I find myself using Raddog gear lately.
I’m in the new Orleans area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Where are you located? There's a ton of equipment that I like, depending on what we're working on :) Most often, I find myself using Raddog gear lately.
I used to get most equipment from Ray Allen or Leerburg.
i just hot a verynice two handle leash from Leerburg. I have an Aussie and this is perfect for training both in the ring or on the street. In traffic. I oil it up with mink oil so it gets softer and more flexible.
re training. When I started Schutzhund and beginning helper work ,us newbies were not allowed to work pups or very young dogs. We were taught on the experienced dogs. As we worked them the trainer would guide us then ask what we saw in the dog and why we did what we did. It was drill instructor type training raw recruits. You had to really look into each dog, eyes,ears tail stance and actions. Often comparing one to another. You could be dressed down pretty hard for missing something or making a mistake. I went to every seminar I could often spending an entire weekend to take it all in. We learned just how hard to push each dog to achieve the desired results. I can’t do this anymore due to medical issues. the biggest and most valuable thing that was pounded in was to leave ego at home. This training was serious business and no place to show off your strength or toughness. There was skill in catching a big powerful GSD OR A FURRY bullet Mal. Each required technique to ease the shock loads so the dog had optimum opportunity and did not get over stressed or injured. The general motif was you might get hurt but never the dog. If you got hurt you were not allowed to cry, not even the girls. I ultimately got a sports career ending injury to my knee that ended most sports for me for many years. I manage to play baseball untill 72 but finally had to hang up my glove and bat.a further injury while walking my Aussie ended all sports forever including tiddlywinks winks a couple years ago. Once the virous is over I’ll be on one and a half legs so even walks will be challenging.

anyway be very careful working pups and young dogs. In protection training they have to “win” every time yet work to the edge of their ability. It’s this fine line that separates the good helpers. I’ve seen some horrible mistakes on the fields and early on I was a lot more vociferous and got into confrontations that I felt the fog deserved someone stepping up, so I did. I’m not the end all expert by any means but I don’t like outright mistreatment of dogs. I’m not really a bad guy and I don’t mind debating issues. It’s good to do this I think especially with all the variables in this training.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts