German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old GSD, and I recently ran into a friend of a friend who has a puppy he can't take care of. I know i'm gonna get alot of negative feed back but I really wanna get some feed back from people with experience. I have a female GSD 4 month old and my friend is asking if I can take in his friends husky (4 months male) . Now before the negative comments fly in I have been reading alot about the consequence of having 2 dogs of similar age. My wife has her mind and heart set on adopting him. I have read up alot about dominance as well, seeing as the GSD is more of a dominant alpha type dog and the husky is more of a social dog. Now my question is how many people have co-inhabited a GSD and a husky, and how did it turn out. I know they are both highly active dogs, and both high maintenance. I also know that you can't gauge how they will react with each other when they mature. I read that you have to re-enforce a dominant relationship, feeding,acknowledging,treating the dominant dog first, as well as making equal time for each dog away from the other. I know its gonna be a challenge, and I can try and talk to my wife against it witch i see as an equally hard challenge. Has any one had success or kind of insight to the life of raising both dogs at once.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
My GSD's have always been good with my brothers huskies. I currently have a female gsd and a male gsd/malamute cross 5wks apart in age. They are certified SAR trailing dogs and have a job. They are great friends and if you are willing to put the time and energy into training each as individuals and do what is necessary to make them safe and happy, have fun and congratulations on some fun dogs :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My GSD's have always been good with my brothers huskies. I currently have a female gsd and a male gsd/malamute cross 5wks apart in age. They are certified SAR trailing dogs and have a job. They are great friends and if you are willing to put the time and energy into training each as individuals and do what is necessary to make them safe and happy, have fun and congratulations on some fun dogs :)

Are they ever alone for a period of time. If so how long, and is there any notebale behaviors, or warning signs that you would say.

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
My girl Misty(husky mix) was 18 mths when we got Samson(Gsd) at eight weeks.She mothered him and got bossy with him at times.They are best friends now and interact well.Radically different personalities.Not the same as your situation at all though!
I really wouldn't have wanted them at the same time and same age.Just way,way more training and energy would've been required than I could've handled.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My girl Misty(husky mix) was 18 mths when we got Samson(Gsd) at eight weeks.She mothered him and got bossy with him at times.They are best friends now and interact well.Radically different personalities.Not the same as your situation at all though!
I really wouldn't have wanted them at the same time and same age.Just way,way more training and energy would've been required than I could've handled.
Yea because of there age so close together I am worried about them fighting for attention when they mature. I am also worried about taking them out on separate activities, witch I have read is necessary in order to keep the hierarchy. From what I have read is i would need to monitor them growing up if I notice one dog being an alpha I gotta re-enforce that. It isn't something I would want to do, but if it is needed to keep the peace it would be something to practice. I do have a decent field and time, but I wouldn't have the time to really take them out for different activities every day, like take one to the park for an hour, and than come home to take the other. These are things I have read online when raising two dogs in a similar age. I am really looking for some first hand experience.

maybe not just with different breeds, but just the age in general.

I was also trying to get a feel for the environment, of both dogs co-inhabited.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I only have textbook knowledge about this- but if you are dead set on bringing in the husky, I would personally crate and rotate, and raise them in separate areas of the house. I think raising two high energy dogs at such a young, similar age, getting into their teens, and trying to control what unwanted behaviors they bounce off each other and self-reinforce is much more difficult vs. if you can keep them mostly separated and train individually until they are older.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Your issue is not the combination of breeds but the two-puppy-syndrome-effect issue. You are right, there is plenty of info on this topic on this forum. I would foster the Husky and find it good home to keep your sanity.
By the way: is the rehoming of the Husky all cosher? Is your friend the legal owner of the pup? Why does he need to rehome the pup? I have read stories when a dog was given away in a divorce without the other partner being aware of it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My female GSD does not like any huskies she has met. I think it's the movement, maybe? I have a husky mix and just in the last year he can be out with her, but I still supervise. That took 3 yrs. it would take a lifetime for my 2 male GSDs to like him--they just don't. Huskies are very energetic, they are jumpers and like to run. You would have to stay on top of it if you don't want bad behaviors exchanged between the two either way.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
They are alone together all the time and alone when individually trained. They are best buds, but I am their focus. They play and encroach other but it's me they want more than each other. But no fighting other than play rough housing on occasion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only have textbook knowledge about this- but if you are dead set on bringing in the husky, I would personally crate and rotate, and raise them in separate areas of the house. I think raising two high energy dogs at such a young, similar age, getting into their teens, and trying to control what unwanted behaviors they bounce off each other and self-reinforce is much more difficult vs. if you can keep them mostly separated and train individually until they are older.
I plan on trying to keep them separated, especially unsupervised. I have a spare room, Im planning on rotating them in the room.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your issue is not the combination of breeds but the two-puppy-syndrome-effect issue. You are right, there is plenty of info on this topic on this forum. I would foster the Husky and find it good home to keep your sanity.
By the way: is the rehoming of the Husky all cosher? Is your friend the legal owner of the pup? Why does he need to rehome the pup? I have read stories when a dog was given away in a divorce without the other partner being aware of it.
He adopted the dog, and was way to in over his head. He is too busy, lives alone and wanted to dog for company.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My female GSD does not like any huskies she has met. I think it's the movement, maybe? I have a husky mix and just in the last year he can be out with her, but I still supervise. That took 3 yrs. it would take a lifetime for my 2 male GSDs to like him--they just don't. Huskies are very energetic, they are jumpers and like to run. You would have to stay on top of it if you don't want bad behaviors exchanged between the two either way.
What were the ages they were all introduced.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are alone together all the time and alone when individually trained. They are best buds, but I am their focus. They play and encroach other but it's me they want more than each other. But no fighting other than play rough housing on occasion.
What are there ages, and ages they met. I would also like to thanks everyone for the serious answers, and as much as im sure peopl wanna be negative I thank you all for your input

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
What were the ages they were all introduced.
Young and only a couple years apart. Introduction was not the issue. The problem was being outside together and the way the husky moved. Even now Uoucan see it bothers her but a simple leave it before she even gets close works. It took a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts