German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ollie and I will be going to a herding seminar on the 18th and hope to start training soon after. I know the instructor will go over sheep behavior but just wondered if anyone recommended any good books I could study on my own? I've seen a few herding books and video on Leerburg, anyone use them or anything else? I know nothing and am all about absorbing as much knowledge as I can right now. :)

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think it would be okay to read the books you have seen and watch videos, but since your pup is new to this, it might be good for you guys to learn together. I'm sure there is a very general kinda training involved, but there will also be stuff that you guys can do that will be just what you guys do..does that make sense? He doesn't have to be perfect in the door...both of you should have fun doing this!! Update us on how it goes.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would recommend bowwowflix for that.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I completely forgot about bowwowflix!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it would be okay to read the books you have seen and watch videos, but since your pup is new to this, it might be good for you guys to learn together. I'm sure there is a very general kinda training involved, but there will also be stuff that you guys can do that will be just what you guys do..does that make sense? He doesn't have to be perfect in the door...both of you should have fun doing this!! Update us on how it goes.
I get it. :) I know the instructors at this place are top notch and that's part of the reason I'm so intimidated! They seem like legit cowboys and here I am miss suburbia with my loose eyed dog. :blush: I wanted to try and learn some basic stuff on my own but as usual I'm probably over thinking the situation.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Tony McCallum an aussie has an intense cult following around the world, he is an excellent breeder and trainer of working stock dogs rooted in the real world of work, if he says it, then it is prolly right and the oppositte of what the "experts" say.

he also is no stranger to bite work, anyone who knows and done as much with dogs as him is worth listening to regardless of breed or purpose, you should check him out if you like herding.

i plan on meeting him one day.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I know nothing and am all about absorbing as much knowledge as I can right now. :)
Thank you!
There is a ton of information in old threads in this forum. I know some people tend to use forums like chat rooms and only stick to active threads. However, that does not utilize the value of this forum as a knowledge base, in which most of the value is in old threads. I suggest using the search engine or taking the time to go back and research old threads. The same questions tend to get asked ad infinitum.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I get it. :) I know the instructors at this place are top notch and that's part of the reason I'm so intimidated! They seem like legit cowboys and here I am miss suburbia with my loose eyed dog. :blush: I wanted to try and learn some basic stuff on my own but as usual I'm probably over thinking the situation.
You will be fine. Everyone is super nice - and so many non-border collies there. You will not feel out of place with a GSD. When I started out - I knew NOTHING. I think you will also be fine just learning. It will take awhile and I am sure you will feel like you have no clue what you are doing, but it will come together at some point. It will just take some time.

Tell Terry Melissa with Leyna and Levi says hi! (and she does know that Levi recently passed away).

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will be fine. Everyone is super nice - and so many non-border collies there. You will not feel out of place with a GSD. When I started out - I knew NOTHING. I think you will also be fine just learning. It will take awhile and I am sure you will feel like you have no clue what you are doing, but it will come together at some point. It will just take some time.

Tell Terry Melissa with Leyna and Levi says hi! (and she does know that Levi recently passed away).
Thanks :) When I was working at the other facility Ollie was the only GSD and its hard not to feel inadequate when you're watching Border Collies work... Similar to how I feel not having a full WL GSD at times, at least how people on the forum make me feel as if my dog isn't good enough. All the more reason to prove them wrong! Can't wait for the herding seminar on Saturday, should be loads of fun. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I haven't read it yet, but "Herding Dogs: Progressive Training" by Vergil S. Holland was highly recommended to me by two instructors. Looking forward to reading more about your herding adventures! :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Thanks :) When I was working at the other facility Ollie was the only GSD and its hard not to feel inadequate when you're watching Border Collies work... Similar to how I feel not having a full WL GSD at times, at least how people on the forum make me feel as if my dog isn't good enough. All the more reason to prove them wrong! Can't wait for the herding seminar on Saturday, should be loads of fun. :)
No one there will make you feel inadequate about not having a BC. While I was there I saw Rotties, Tervs, Shelties, Corgis, Aussies, Boxers (they helped get Boxers approved to herd through the AKC), Belgians, Mals, Bouviers, and I even saw a Poodle herd at a trial (and passed!)!! I know I missed some breeds that I have seen there. Both Rich and Barb have put AKC Herding Championships on their previous GSD's (or just retired ones) and are almost there again with their newer dogs. There is really no reason they won't want you to succeed (it is all about the dog, not the breed).

I can't wait to get back into herding toward the end of summer :)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow a poodle?! Impressive. :) And glad to hear all that, they seem like such a great place and its only 35 minutes away! This area seems like a good area to be, 2 herding places, 3 IPO clubs, a French ring club, several agility centers, a really good tracking instructor and lots of competitive obedience around too. Lots of choices for us! In fact it took me several months of deciding which sport I wanted to do before Ollie decided for me. :D

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't read it yet, but "Herding Dogs: Progressive Training" by Vergil S. Holland was highly recommended to me by two instructors. Looking forward to reading more about your herding adventures! :)

Thanks I will look into that!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Wow a poodle?! Impressive. :) And glad to hear all that, they seem like such a great place and its only 35 minutes away! This area seems like a good area to be, 2 herding places, 3 IPO clubs, a French ring club, several agility centers, a really good tracking instructor and lots of competitive obedience around too. Lots of choices for us! In fact it took me several months of deciding which sport I wanted to do before Ollie decided for me. :D
Yup - San Diego is a great place for dog stuff. I miss that part about where I live now - we are an hour from most training stuff. But, I can't complain about living in the Mountains, next to a huge lake!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
@x11.....do you know the different types of herding and the different breeds associated with them?
cliff, the very first and only dogs i have ever been around since a boy were all 100% working dogs, i got my first pet dog in my mid 40's.

kind of the complete turn around trajectory for about everyone else on this board ie;

pet -> show-> sport -> work

i'm just work all the way thru, never had a choice, neither did the dogs.

see why it's hard for me to take it coming from people that even after 30+ years are really nothing more than fanciers from the start to the bitter end

you did ask.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup - San Diego is a great place for dog stuff. I miss that part about where I live now - we are an hour from most training stuff. But, I can't complain about living in the Mountains, next to a huge lake!
Does Jackie know about Levi and what he's done? I know she was really into herding when she first started breeding and one of her shepherds was the first GSD in the US to win an all breed herding trial. I'm sorry again about his passing.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Yeah, I told Jackie about both their herding accomplishments. I wish I would have discovered herding earlier and kept up with it more after I moved - Levi especially could have done really well (his issue in herding was me being a new handler!). I am not going to trial Leyna anymore and just let her enjoy life chasing squirrels and maybe let her herd a few times for fun once I start going again later this summer. We have a new puppy coming in a few weeks and she will be my new dog to trial with :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts