German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's very encouraging to hear. Sounds like you've maybe attended the same venues with him? Temperament is always the big factor.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
something like that

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
something like that
Please remember that I have zero experience in the working trials and most of this is relatively new to me. So if I say something off, it probably just means I don't know who is in sports/LE/SAR/Military on this forum. Thanks for the input.....

OR DO YOU OWN OX???????? : ))

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'd prefer a 8-10 week model myself. Don't get me wrong, 10mos is fine, but integrating a male getting his hormones with my male Collie might be a struggle. My GS might be a little tough on him too. On the flip side, they both acclimated to two bobtail kittens this summer, but it was slightly different.

On the 10mos old pup though, have you had in-person experience with him? I'd be curious as to his behavior, gait, drive, social instincts etc...
It is much easier, at least initially, to being in a puppy. You can just read the right up on him. I've only seen him in a working environment. Its not exactly the best time to judge ability to settle. You would probably love his structure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You have excellent tastes-lol. Yeah I've watched Taylor's videos for a while and really appreciate his work. I think I would need a green dog just to get it within budget. I know a local SAR individual who has encouraged me to pursue that. My current GSD was just too protection driven to trust around her Mal (or so I thought). Still looking into it, so maybe a milder pup off one of these excellent lines is in my near future. Thank you again for the input.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just spent the weekend with a litter of Ox puppies - 5 weeks old, I think. Super happy, playful and engaging. The breeder said she really liked Ox when she drove over to meet/breed her female to him. He lives as a house dog that does sport which, to her, is a good sign of an ability to settle. I've been wanting a Chris progeny puppy. It doesn't look like it's gonna happen this time around, but I've got plenty of dog years left in me.
A club member has a Hercules son. 1.5 years, I think. I need to ask what his dam's registered name is. His owner decoys at our club. Dog has high ball drive and nice obedience, but leans towards being defensive in protection, and he has some serious civilness that needed work before being brought into public (stores like Lowes and such). Good looking dog.

Reactions: Rionel

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Just an FYI - Ox can throw high defense and civil as well. These dogs are excelling as K9's.

Reactions: Katsugsd

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Look to skilled breeders who understand type, not just long forgotten borders. The dogs will run the gamut, not defined by geography, but dedication of breeders.

I joined here a few years ago as a newbie with a "Czech" dog and as much as Ive learned since then, there is plenty I've discounted, and purposely forgotten. From "gurus" I may add. WUSV descendants that are phenoms on the field but can't take a walk in a HomeDepot etc. I take advice and heed to people who have dogs that can work and also sit by the fire or take a ride on a tractor without losing their senses. This breed isn't supposed to be "working home only". Not sure how we got to that concept from the classic pastoral/natural stable guardian breed we started out with. Money and trophies I'd suspect.

And despite the resounding mantra from some breeders it isn't "all genetics" A great majority of it is, but it's also what you put into it.

I've a keen nose for marketing and bullcrap. I make a living juggling it. Half the dogs labeled as this region or that region or IGP champ lines or whatever, are just marketing labels.

Look to the ones doing it, and who also aren't afraid to put a dog in any life situation. Thems just holes in their makeup if they can't be a "house dog" Sour grapes. Take the trophy, leave the cannoli.
I ran across a trial video on one of the dogs in the ped and some of the comments weren't too complimentary of the dog. I am not saying they're correct, but just a reminder how information sharing can work for and against something. Interesting to see for sure....but something tells me I would still be ecstatic to get a pup close to this gene pool: FCI Winner GSD, first time in many years

·
Registered
27,259 Posts
I had a pup from a nice blend of Slovak/WG and the whole litter was consistent in size and temperament, yet they were in different venues of sport and did what was asked enthusiastically .
The sire Andy Maly Vah was a retired police K9 and then went on to achieve many titles with his new handler. It really depends on the dog, the genetic background and the pairing of genetics.
I now have a grandson of Andy and he is doing very well in sport, but more so in my 'life'. A great all around dog with balanced nerve and biddability.

Reactions: Rionel and Katsugsd

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, I think some of these dogs may be/are more impressive in person. It's funny this is a winning dog and still the comments on that blog were fairly dismissive. I am quite sure he'd impress me. What a gorgeous dog. And Andy is pretty dang nimble.

·
Registered
512 Posts
People have preferences for what they like in dogs. I've heard good things about Andy, I think. The name is familiar and I do like what I see in the video posted.

I don't think civilness is a bad thing, just something to be aware of when going into purchasing a puppy from a dog with a lot of it.

Reactions: Rionel

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Katsugsd I agree. Civil level has been evident in my female GS since a pup, and I'll take it all day long. At just over 2 years she's very appropriate as well.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts