German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals. Does anyone have exposure to dogs of both heavy Slovak and Czech lineages, that regard their traits distinguishable from one another? In other words, is there any benefit to sticking with lineages that are heavily factored of either country, or are they both basically the same group of dogs?

This ped has me intrigued: Faro Demin dvor

Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a "Slovak" dog whose pedigree is Czech x WGWL. I can't answer your direct question, but I can say he is a spectacular dog. Not flashy for sports but great defense drive, handler focus, appropriate suspicion, clear headedness. His pedigree is in my siggy. He is ever reliable unless you want him to prance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know my dog has a fair amount of Czech but also WGWL/Belgium etc... and she's excellent. I was curious because I run across conversations where some state "Czech dogs are more...." , "DDR dogs are more..." or " West working line are more", and so on. I wondered if in that neck of the woods people are just sharing the best dogs among their programs, maybe consolidating to fix types. I'm on a long search for a male and wondered how much more driven/energetic (or not) a dog with heavy Slovak or heavier Czech lineage might be from my female. I'll probably just have to jump in at some point. Thanks for the reply - your dog in the pedigree link is very nice! Just noticed Drago Equidius in both pedigrees above.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Look to skilled breeders who understand type, not just long forgotten borders. The dogs will run the gamut, not defined by geography, but dedication of breeders.

I joined here a few years ago as a newbie with a "Czech" dog and as much as Ive learned since then, there is plenty I've discounted, and purposely forgotten. From "gurus" I may add. WUSV descendants that are phenoms on the field but can't take a walk in a HomeDepot etc. I take advice and heed to people who have dogs that can work and also sit by the fire or take a ride on a tractor without losing their senses. This breed isn't supposed to be "working home only". Not sure how we got to that concept from the classic pastoral/natural stable guardian breed we started out with. Money and trophies I'd suspect.

And despite the resounding mantra from some breeders it isn't "all genetics" A great majority of it is, but it's also what you put into it.

I've a keen nose for marketing and bullcrap. I make a living juggling it. Half the dogs labeled as this region or that region or IGP champ lines or whatever, are just marketing labels.

Look to the ones doing it, and who also aren't afraid to put a dog in any life situation. Thems just holes in their makeup if they can't be a "house dog" Sour grapes. Take the trophy, leave the cannoli.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at an offspring from the line I posted, that does PP training, but supposedly has an excellent off-switch and manners in the real world. We'll see : | Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There are few bloodlines that are exclusively from a particular country and the diversity resulting from breedings with West German, Czech, Slovak, Belgian, Dutch, etc. is generally a good thing if the dogs in a pedigree have and produce the traits you are looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are few bloodlines that are exclusively from a particular country and the diversity resulting from breedings with West German, Czech, Slovak, Belgian, Dutch, etc. is generally a good thing if the dogs in a pedigree have and produce the traits you are looking for in a dog.
Thanks Chip. That's what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That dog is the sire to one of my favorite dogs, FCI world champion Chris spod lazov. Both of those dogs are beasts. I don’t know what you’re looking to do with your dogs, but a dog with these guys will be able to succeed in any working field. I have heard of issues settling in crate and tail chewing from these guys, but it’s hard to say whether it’s genetic, training or environment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would believe it looking at the pedigree. And Chris spod Lazov is a stellar specimin to look at. So I guess it's a safe assumption that dogs of this caliber absolutely need regular, high intensity outlets? Do you believe SAR would be enough for something off this line (assuming it popped out with similar drives)? I might be able to get a calmer litter mate if that happens.

·
Registered
31,798 Posts
My dog is a Drago grandson and 3-5 on Nike. Good dog :)
I really love your dog. He's proof that the Eqidius lines bring stability. I'm eyeballing Joe B's Yogy for a someday stud for Faren. .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really love your dog. He's proof that the Eqidius lines bring stability. I'm eyeballing Joe B's Yogy for a someday stud for Faren. .
Ditto to what Jax08 said. If you chase the lineage back far enough you get to this dog Hussan vom Haus Schütting
Not bad for 1928 or any year : )

Just 8 years prior to that you see some that look a bit more like Dobermans, like this, Erich von Grafenwerth [Hamilton]

A little off topic but it's amazing how this breed changes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's an active stud dog named Ox Iveron off Chris spod Lazov. It would depend on what Ox got mated with of course.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd prefer a 8-10 week model myself. Don't get me wrong, 10mos is fine, but integrating a male getting his hormones with my male Collie might be a struggle. My GS might be a little tough on him too. On the flip side, they both acclimated to two bobtail kittens this summer, but it was slightly different.

On the 10mos old pup though, have you had in-person experience with him? I'd be curious as to his behavior, gait, drive, social instincts etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not totally stoked on Ox (no slouch at all) but there are a couple dogs off Chris' pairing with Ellsa Vom Groben that are structurally more appealing to me : Hercules vom Großen Ex and Hero vom Großen Ex It's a long search : ) Ultimately it's just too hard to come to conclusions from images, especially when you need to see temperment first hand.

·
Registered
31,798 Posts
There's an active stud dog named Ox Iveron off Chris spod Lazov. It would depend on what Ox got mated with of course.
Ox is a great dog. Stellar temperament and I like what he has produced. Sport, pet and police in the same litter with different females.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts