German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not my dogs. A good friend, who is actually a member here but rarely posts, has a rescue who was just diagnosed with serious kidney problems. An ultrasound determined that the kidneys are malformed, probably a congenital thing. Whimsey is only 3 years old, and the prognosis is not good. She has been responding to fluids, and was put on a low protein diet.

Here's what the blood work showed:

BUN 132
Creatinine 8.1

I don't know if these are important, but phosphorus is high at 10.3, and bicarbonate is low at 13. The vet is surprised that Whimsey seems to feeling so well. Now that she's on fluids (the vet put a port in and she's getting a bag a day) she's pretty much back to her bouncy, active self, but her appetite is still poor.

I sent Carol a link to a supplement called Renal Essentials by Vetri-Science that I found at onlynaturalpet.com. Does anyone have experience with this supplement, or have any other suggestions for kidney support?

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I'm going to send her this link, so if anyone has any questions about her test results or anything else, feel free to ask them here.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
A neighbor of mine adopted two lab siblings, turned out, one of them also had a malformed kidney. He was feeling fine for some time, being under expensive meds and special diet, but all of a sudden he crashed and died. He was just over one year. It's devastating

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I PM'd someone to ask them to post.

I also know two people on IMOM that had kidney issue dogs. The one, a Rottweiler, lived for a lot of years with CRF. The other, a Dal, is doing well-they went to UPenn and got him all in order. I guess Dals are known to have problem kidneys.

I bet if they were to go to UC Davis there would be someone there to help!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Got it, Jean.

Here's what I have..........
For a very good explanation of what all the numbers mean, how advanced the KD is and the symptoms of each stage, and food recs, this site is very good.
http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

On this site you can post your dog's BUN/Creatnine etc and they experts there will craft you a diet plan, as well as supplements etc.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KidneyDiet/?yguid=98759447

This is more of a support group, but also a whole lot of good info..........
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/?yguid=98759447

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooh, awesome guys! Thanks so much, I'll send this to her now.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
God you scared the you know what out of me!!!! DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!

I know Mary had a female go quickly with kidney disease not long ago. The dog was fine and then not fine and she had to put her down, I do not know the particulars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Gus had CKF, and made it until Five. I did subcutatious fluids weekly, he ate a Purina kidney brand canned and dry. I also took him to a nathopath, who put him on an herb called Rhumania 8. This herb stopped him from leaking and he lead a farly normal life. What got him in the end was low red blood cell count, the kidney's help male new red blod cells. If you have anymore questions, e-mail me and I can look up his files. Gus went to the big sky a year ago yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on you guys! I sent Carol the link to this thread, hopefully she'll have a chance to digest all the info and check in this weekend. She said her vet told her that if Whimsey was a human she'd be on dialysis.

Barb, I knew about the dogaware site because Mary Straus writes articles for the Whole Dog Journal, but I hadn't really checked it out. There is an AMAZING amount of info there!

Kathy, I read about Mary's dog on the green board. She was young too if I remember correctly. So sad.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yes, only 5 years old. She was pretty upset.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
My current foster dog, Riggs, is in chronic renal failure, I HIGHLY recommend the sites that M&J posted. The K9Kidney yahoo group has been a life saver. Those numbers are almost identical to my boys...and I hate to say but that creatinine especially is very bad...very high. My guy is also stumping the vets because at those numbers they should feel very bad and not want to eat, but he is bouncing around the house and appetite fine....but that is after getting him on the right supplements and diet.

Kidney failure is not curable but it is manageable!!!

There is lots you can do to support the kidneys including getting him on an appropriate low phosphorus, low sodium diet. Another thing is not to do low protein anymore...that used to be the plan but they have found with all the recent research that phosphorus is more important to keep low and to feed high quality protein. Getting a good diagnosis, like they seem to have done, also helps...a lot depends on what part of the kidneys is not functioning properly. Lots of side issues happen with CRF to watch for like anemia, high blood pressure, high calcium issues and urinary tract issues, like stones or crystals. There are different medications to be on depending on what issues specifically your dog is having. Monthly or bimonthly blood and urine work ups are needed to see where things are and to monitor functions.

One of the biggest side effects of kidney failure is how rough it is on their digestive system, so many of the meds that Riggs is on is to help his tummy so that he feels like eating because nutrition is very imporant in CRF. Stomach acid issues and ulcers are a big problem so Whimsey will probably need to be on an acid reducer before meals, on a phosphorus binder with his meals and several supplements that will help her kidneys process and flush toxins to the highest efficency they can.

She is going to be <u>very</u> overwhelmed at the wealth of information out there (I was) but its a good thing because this is an issue that has had a lot of good research on and a lot of new information about how important diet, supplements and fluid therapy is to really prolong a happy life.

I am not a fan of any of the prescription kibbles out there....you have much more control over the quality of food by doing a home cooked diet tailor made to your specific dog. K9Kidney yahoo group is a great tool for putting that together with the help of your vet. Like with all our other dogs, nutrition is not something a lot of vets are up on, so have your friend print out some stuff before going to let her vet know she has done her research.

I would be happy to talk to her about what I've learned...we took Riggs for a work up with an Auburn vet school professor and my sister who is a vet in Alabama and he is now on several additional meds that seem to be working. They were impressed with what I had him on already and the diet I had him on based on what I learned on the yahoo group. Some supplements they didn't even know about and had to research on their own and are now using them in their treatments!

There is lots of hope, support and information out there for CRF so please encourage her that she can do this, its not fun and its hard but once she gets a plan together and a system it really improves the quality of their lives. Riggs seems to have no idea that he is sick and we are dedicated to trying to keep it that way for as long as we can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went the nathropath way, because Gus seemed so demoralised by all of the pills , sub-q, etc. Make sure they are mentally well also. Gus was the funniest dog, always talked and showed his emotions. I can't find my recipes right at the moment, but his favorite was potato and chicken.Everyone was in the kitchen for that,mmmm..chickhen. I've kind of forgotton everything we did for him, but if you need any help just ask.

SPS Sinclair , I like your signature,..Heartdog, thats what my Gus was to me.
Here's his photo alum on webshots..
http://pets.webshots.com/album/563741075RJLIKl?vhost=pets

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hello, everyone, and THANK YOU for all of the advice and support. It is overwhelming, but I am stubborn, and not ready to give up. Whimsey is a stubborn girl too. She thinks that she deserves all this attention, as the princess that she is!

http://picasaweb.google.com/doggonefool/Whimsey?authkey=jXyTDp1CJBo

Now I am off to educate myself...

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Carol! Wow, Whimsey looks gorgeous, I hadn't seen a recent pic of her in a long time. Here's your beautiful girl:

·
Registered
524 Posts
thanks, I couldn't figure out how to get it on here.

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not all picture hosting sites will work, I tried linking it from picasaweb and couldn't do it either, so I saved it to my photobucket account and linked to it there. Hard to tell she's sick, her coat looks so thick and beautiful.

·
Registered
524 Posts
She doesn't think she's sick, either. The morning IV has become a bonding of sorts, she cuddles and gets a good scratching, and best of all, she gets to come in the living room!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow, your Gus album touched me....any advice that you have is very welcome...for as was said, I am feeling very overwhelmed
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
524 Posts
Whimsey is on Aluminum Hydroxide to bind the phosphorous and it also seems to calm her stomach...and pepcid complete. We go back Tuesday to see if her levels are lower.

I took the advice to join the K9kidney group and am waiting to be accepted

The fluids have helped Whimsey greatly. She has high anxiety issues, doesn't travel well, and it took her 3 days to get over being left at the vet for 3 days, though I brought her home at night. She does seem to be stabilizing some, and eating better than normal. They did recommend the low protein so am glad you suggested looking at more options. It is mindboggling the amount of information that is out there, and my impression of the severity of her symptoms makes me feel like I have to make decisions fast. So all advice is truly welcome. I will take her back for more blood work on tuesday...and will be keeping my fingers crossed

Carol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts