German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greta, 5 month old GSD, counter surfed yesterday and consumed an entire dough ball that had completed its first rise. Discovered it pretty quickly but her sides had already expanded as it was a 7 grain dough with extra gluten added. My peroxide was long out of date so was unsure if I could get her to vomit in time.

Vet kept her and was so impressed at the size of the now partially expanded dough which Greta brought up that he took a picture of it. She was fine afterwards. Vet said he had not seen that before but probably because so few people bake bread any more.

Has anyone on here had a similar experience? If so, did you let nature take its course? Just wondering if dough would have passed harmlessly without intervention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Glad she's ok. The expanding dough would bother me but I wonder if enzymes and such might have killed the yeast. Anyway, happy it's a done deal. My girl, Roxy, used to love carbs. She took down a whole rum cake once and a brand new, in the box, cream cheese coffee cake. She was legendary when it came to carbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
We had a sow eat some dry macaroni once and it did her in (don't ask HOW she got the dry macaroni). When it comes to things that expand, I wouldn't take any chances - I think you did the right thing taking Greta to the vet.

Ezra had half a carrot cake WITH cream cheese frosting at holiday time. I just made a clean cut and served the rest of it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,725 Posts
Eating raw yeast dough like that is VERY dangerous!! It can lead to major problems. Very good that you took her to the vet. I think even a small amount of yeast dough can lead to bloat (gases are released and fill the stomach with air). I would say you got lucky this time that the vet was able to get her to barf it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. After reading about the pig and also about bloat I am glad I took her in. Vet did mention the possibility of bloat but he is very low key and did not sound too alarmed. He did admonish me not to let her do that again -- not a worry there and bread dough around here will not sit on the counter any more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Yes this is something that should not be left to run its course. It is very dangerous, so it's a good thing that you brought her in to the vet!
Aside from the problem of the dough expanding, ingesting raw dough can also cause alcohol poisoning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Glad to hear Greta's okay - that's scary!! In the summer I let my bread dough rise in the microwave - it's nice and warm, no drafts, and completely inaccessible. I find it cool in the winter (it's mounted on an exterior wall) so I let it rise in the oven (on proof) until the oven needs to be preheated, then on the very back of the stove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
We had a sow eat some dry macaroni once and it did her in (don't ask HOW she got the dry macaroni). When it comes to things that expand, I wouldn't take any chances - I think you did the right thing taking Greta to the vet.
Whoa. My dogs have eaten dry macaroni before, getting into it while I was gone. I never thought much of it though... I would think when combined with the water it needs to expand, its still not an increased volume (as in, greater than the starting volumes of the macaroni and water.) Not like dough where there is a chemical reaction putting off gases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
You done good! Glad for the vet visit.

I like the carrot cake comment, my last border collie picked out carrot cake for her birthday one year, and that become our yearly birthday tradition, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. (no rasins!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
I've read that before. Its a great story, but a single anecdote isn't a reason to avoid discussing the issue with your vet.
Yeah that really doesn't mean much. Ingesting bread dough can be very dangerous. Aside from the issues that the gas buildup/rising and can cause bloat and torsion and possible obstruction, the yeast in bread dough produces ethanol as a by-product and this can cause dangerous alcohol poisoning in dogs.
It is definitely not something you want to ignore or laugh off!

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:
Raw bread dough made with yeast poses mechanical and biochemical hazards when ingested, including gastric distention, metabolic acidosis, and CNS depression. Although any species is susceptible, dogs are most commonly involved due to their indiscriminate eating habits.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top