German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Remingtons, or whatever brand Tractor supply carries, though the quality is not the same. As long as the dog doesn't outgrow it, a vari-kennel is a good investment, IMO.
edit, I see you aren't in the US, not sure what you can get in the Emerald Isle!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm shipping a dog out on Saturday and got a "Grreat Choice" (yes two r's) from Petsmart. It meets all the airline requirements and has a metal door and metal bolts. I think I got a 30" (way bigger than what the puppy needs but I had to make sure his ears don't touch the top) for $45 (same size Varikennel is about $80 locally). The main difference I see from the real Varikennel is that the vented areas on the sides are punched out of the plastic whereas I believe a real Varikennel has metal grates on the side vents, if that makes sense. Everything else looks about equal to me.

real Varikennel

Grreat Choice airline carrier

·
Registered
519 Posts
I say just buy the vari kennel. I have one which is 20 years old and still in great shape. I love that you can open the door from either side, and I love how tough it is.
I work in a pet supply store and we got a message last week saying the vari kennels are being discontinued, reason is that they are being discontinued from the manufacturer. I have not looked into it, but I am ordering some in case I can't get them anymore. I have never found a kennel I liked more.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Petmate(manufacturer of vari-kennel) just bought out the JW pet company along with Canine Hardware(chuckit) and now JW toys are manufactured in China. I wonder what is going on in the industry?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Try Craigslist or garage sales? I got both mine used, one from a garage sale and one from Craigslist. They've held up great, although one eventually needed a replacement door put on (not too expensive to get one though).

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have a 40 inch (XL) Vari-Kennel that is probably at least 10 years old. Still in great shape. I wanted to get a 48 inch because I will probably be crating my guy during the day even when he gets older. Okay ... I can either get an airline type crate (size giant) ... OR ... a 10x10 pen for outside! They are sooo expensive in the giant size bleh. Even though I've always used vari-kennels, I'm thinking of switching over to a metal crate although it makes me nervous. But at 1/3 (or less) the price, I may be able to get used to it!

if you don't need to get the giant size, Academy also sells them if you don't have a Tractor Supply. The 40 inch (I think or 42 inch can't remember now) was around $89. Not sure about what's available in your neck of the woods though, sorry!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts