German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in trying our hand at schutzhund or perhaps a portion, i.e. obedience and not tracking, etc. We're in the Atlanta area and as I understand it, the sporting clubs here are "intense" (for lack of a better word). I'm curious whether based on Fynn's ped, he has the temperament to withstand the activites/other dogs.

I'm only now sorting through his pedigree and based on what I'm able to figure, he's mostly ASL...while his breeder suggested he'd likely have the temperament of a stronger show, I'd like to be practical with our aspirations.

I know just enough to be dangerous in deciphering between the differences German v. American; show v. working. I understand there are exceptions to every rule and some show (American) dogs can participate in schutzhund. But according to some of the "bigs", (Leerburg), an American GSD can never be fit for schutzhund (bite) much less protection.

I'd really welcome any input about whether there's any glimmer of hope in his pedigree for some "working" blood or at the least German line? I'm considering the club that meets in Monroe, Georgia--but if anyone knows of group that meets in the area with advisers or folks willing to "test" for temperament, I'd certainly appreciate that information as well.

Thanks for any insight!!!

http://http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=1983981-heinerburgs-kurt-v-van-cleve

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Some of the clubs in your neck of the woods can really do a number on a new person starting out in the sport...especially with you having an American showline. Your dog's lineage is entirely American showline going back for many generations.

Get your dog evaluated. Just looking at his background, it's not likely he will go far in the sport, but I don't know the dog and he could perform quite well - however, his genetics are not catered towards protection sport. Keep in mind that even if you cannot title the dog, you can still participate in obedience or tracking. Find the dog's ability and develop it to the best of your and his capability.

Correct pedigree link to the dog's breeding: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=1983981-heinerburgs-kurt-v-van-cleve

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Try to contact Chattahoochee Schutzhund or Copper Creek. I think either would give you and your dog a chance. If you are dedicated, I think that is sometimes what can make the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks!

...many, many thanks!
Despite my hopes, I'm stuck on the lyrics from that song "...what do you do when love's not enough."

It's so helpful to have realistic ideals; I'm thinking the worst thing for me (and Fynn, more important), would be to get drilled by one of the more intense clubs and become too gun shy to try other sports/activities.

I certainly appreciate the recommendations for Chattahoochee and Copper Creek. We're going to find something to nurture our bond and put some meat on his skinny bones!!!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Some of the "intense" clubs may not be the best, for person or dog. I think if you show commitment to training and your club, you will do well. Best wishes and hope to meet you!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your chances of success in any venue is in your training,
socializing, spending quality with your dog and the general
upbringing of your pup. you can train a pound special. pedigree
to me means my dog can do anything and it's going to easy.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
If you decide that Schutzhund is not for you and your dog, there is still AKC obedience, rally, agility, etc. that you can do with your dog.

·
Banned
377 Posts
The fact that your dog is ASL should not prevent you from trying. His temperament and your training will determine his chances of success. If he doesn't have the temperament and drive for it then training will just be frustrating. You need both.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Pedigrees are only part of the picture. It really comes down to the individual dog. If you're truly interested in schutzhund, then I would go check out every club you have access to. Talk to the people, see who you fit in with the best.

Now, this is going to come off harsh but I don't know how else to say it. If the dog is not cut out for it then don't try and force it to be something its not. All you would be doing is wasting everyone's time and potentially turning your dog into a miserable dog. This is coming from a helpers stand point (so if you're only doing obedience doesn't really apply). If week after week I have to bust my but to work your dog and no progress is being made, then eventually I'm going to stop putting effort into that dog. I have multiple dogs to work and I can't waist all my energy on ones that are not worth it.

That being said, there is a lady in my schutzhund club who's dog is not cut out for the work. She puts a ton of time in her dog and the club itself. She goes to support club members in any venue they may be competing in that weekend, she works her dog every day and even keeps a log book. There is no doubt in our mind that when she can she will get a dog suitable for the work. So because she puts so much effort in for us we bend over backwards for her. We do all we can to help her learn so when she does get her next dog she has some experience to take it far. So don't count anything out.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you are not training the paper work , you are training the dog . So do go and find a club . Start with the prey games, the tracking , the obedience. Things that motivate the dog and give him self control and movement .

You do not need to have the dog pushed to the wall in a test for bite work to see if the dog is suitable .

You will "know" and can elect not to continue and still have a dog with good experience under his collar -- and you have experience and understanding in the event that the bug bit you and you do want to choose a dog more suited to the sport.

What ever you do you have to understand the ability and limitations of your dog and do not sacrifice your dog forcing it to participate in something it does not have the nerves or aptitude for this.

good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts