German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We live in a townhome that has a small lawn and concrete patio area. The area where there used to be grass is where Kirin uses the bathroom. I say "used to be" because before we got her we had green grass growing in that area. But since there's no other convenient option for a bathroom, we've always just let her go in the lawn.

Letting her go there is fine, except obviously the grass has died off and it looks ugly, but the real problem now is its really starting to stink. We clean up all of her droppings, usually as soon as she goes or later on in the day when a couple have acculmulated, but the strong smell of urine is becoming too much to bear.

Has anyone ever heard of or used any sort of lawn sanitizing techniques? Just the other day I used a small amount of bleach mixed with A LOT of water (paranoid about bleach on paws) to sanitize an area where we couldn't get all of her mess up, but I don't see bleaching down the lawn area as a viable option for obvious reasons. We also have been watering the lawn down on a weekly basis based on some advice we received from a vet, but all that seems to do is saturate the ground and keep the urine from actually absorbing. And it hardly makes ANY difference on the strong odor, which is the biggest complaint right now.

Any advice? Its gettin' stinky here in San Diego!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh man! And I completely forgot to mention flies. The flies are starting to get out of control too. But I figure that if there is an effective solution to sanitizing, then the flies may become a non-issue. For now, the stink trumps the flies...

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Not sure where you are located? Does the area drain well?

The brown spots in my lawn will be really nice green spots next spring or the spots from earlier in the summer are getting green because of all the rain we have had.

I think the grass turns brown because of the Nitrogen in the urine, by watering it dilutes the Nitrogen and the drass doesn't burn. But if the soil you have doesn't drain well then watering isn't a good idea, you would just end up with a big mud mess.

Val

·
Super Moderator
7,741 Posts
i just bought a product from target last night called 'greenworks'. its by clorox but contains no bleach... i had a hose dispenser left ofter from a petsmart product that didnt work at all, so i used it with the greenworks this morning - it dried in under 2hrs and smells great. the flies are gone for today... i'll keep you posted on how long/well it works for me.

here's another thread with some suggestions.

also wanted to add that my suggestion is for smell, sanitation & flies. my grass is long gone so i can't say how the greenworks will do on grass.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Can you leash her and walk her elsewhere to eleminate for a while?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerNot sure where you are located? Does the area drain well?

Val
Just updated my locale. Thanks for the reminder Val! The lawn is definitely not a lawn anymore (more dirt and leaves with a couple of blades of grass), mostly due to the fact that we live in a north facing townhome that is surrounded by tall trees, so we already had that going against us. But we definitely had grass at one point. Because its usually warm and dry here the lawn area dries pretty quickly and doesn't ever really get muddy.

Originally Posted By: Camerafodderi just bought a product from target last night called 'greenworks'. its by clorox but contains no bleach... i had a hose dispenser left ofter from a petsmart product that didnt work at all, so i used it with the greenworks this morning - it dried in under 2hrs and smells great. the flies are gone for today... i'll keep you posted on how long/well it works for me.

here's another thread with some suggestions.
Thanks for the suggestion fodder. I might have to start an experiment on my own. If you don't mind me asking, what product did you try that didn't work? I'm actually looking at a couple on Petsmart's website now...

Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable divulging that information in this thread.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: pupresqI would stay away from anything containing bleach. Not sure if this would actually happen but I'd be concerned about the urine becoming like ammonia which, when combined with bleach, makes a toxic gas!

I might try the greenworks idea. I like the smell of that and like that it's non toxic.
bleach will burn your pup's toes, with our without the chemical reaction too.

Nature's miracle helps; it has all those great enzymes that breaks down the urine. You'll need quite a bit. But it's not soo expensive if you buy the big kennel-size one. I don't know anything about greenworks to know if it's cheaper or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks all for the quick replys.

I read the post that Camerafodder linked and Oxyclean seems to be the suggestion there. That's a good, easy one to try since we have it in bulk for laundry and around the house. I also like the enzyme suggestion since I'd imagine that the bacteria is really what's causing the odor and would need something strong to fight that stinky bacteria.

Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I think if the dog were trained to use a small area, you could treat it with Natures miracle and have a usable yard again.

We have a small lot, 6000 sq feet with a big honkin house on it. Between the side door and driveway was always a boggy mess where grass never did well. The kids and I put several sacks of river rock around bluestone patio pavers, filled the whole area in.

It's very zen, the drainage is better and the puppy won't pee on the rocks.

·
Super Moderator
7,741 Posts
okay...
i tried natures miracle - it worked fairly well but i do not like the smell.
i tried oxyclean after reading the other thread and oxyclean has to be rinsed really well because it left a film on the woodchips and cement parts of my yard.
the product that i picked up from petsmart doesnt really have a brand, its just in a green and yellow bottle and says "yard odor killer - stool & urine deodorizer". i liked it because its safe for plants, pets & kids, but i found myself needing to use it too often (and my goal is to spray once a week).

so like i said - i dont know for sure how well the greenworks is going to work - i may end up having to go back to one of the products i mentioned already. if i could even use the greenworks twice a week - that would be success for me! and for the price, i may just have to pinch myself

·
Registered
313 Posts
Although I can't really help with the lawn issue, I can say that we use the disposable fly traps and they've worked very well with keeping the flies at bay. They smell terrible at first- you fill them with water which activates the "bait" - but the flies flock to 'em and leave my poor dogs ears alone! I've hung three in our backyard and have been very satisfied with the results.

You can get them at any DIY/garden center. I even saw them at our local pet supply yesterday.

Good luck - here's hoping for cooler weather soon

·
Registered
15,976 Posts
Really, the best option is to walk her two or more times a day & pick up after her on the walks. The urine gets more dispersed then. Another thing to do would be to rinse well after she urinates.

I know you probably have water restrictions so the last one isn't going to be viable.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
What about vinegar? It is an odor neutralizer and shouldnt hurt anything. I used it when Ava was a puppy and had an accident in the house, I wonder if it would be okay outside?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
One more thing to consider. This time of year, MY yard, which is large-ish (quarter acre with a smallish house) and it still rains often enough, still gets a bit ripe in the areas where the kids tend to urinate.

It's just hot and the liquid evaporates before it has a chance to seep in. So the solids (is that the right word?) from the urine sit on top of the soil. And we get that lovely odor.

I've never lived anywhere that it didn't happen come August and September, and yeah, San Diego was the worst.
The hot dry ground just doesn't absorb well. I had a courtyard in Normal Heights that was exactly as you describe every late summer. By October, it was livable again. (The grass even kind of came back!)

In my experience, it gets better as soon as the weather gets cooler and damper. I promise!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Oh btw, Betsy, vinegar might work to neutralize odors. But organic gardeners use vinegar as a weed killer. A bit of vinegar and some hot sun, and you can kill many species of plants. So it depends how dead the OP's grass already is, whether they want to use it!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks for the tip! LOL I guess that is why I'm not a gardener!!! Although I do have some weeds that need to go....might try it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts