German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a puppy shipped before.
I recently moved to San Diego and my husband and I are getting a puppy from Sapphire Shepherds in MT.
I'm worried about the season (summer) and the stress being put on the puppy. Unfortunately, the breeder is 20 hours away from us so driving would be very difficult, not to mention $200 more expensive and the pup would have to deal with a 20 hour drive back home.
Taking time off work in such short notice is also out of the question because we're in the military.

Anyone have a pup shipped to them? Did you have a good/bad experience?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
my pup was shipped during 100 degree weather so the only airline that would do it was united. a lot of the other airlines have weather restrictions and dont have climate controlled cabins for pets shipped as cargo. he was shipped when he turned 8 weeks and was in his crate for 12 straight hours because of delays. when he came out of the crate he looked around for 10 seconds and then immediately jumped into my arms and licked my face. he didnt poop in his crate. he didnt poop in the car. he waited until we got to the house and left two huge piles of poop under my dining room table. an 8 week old pup isnt use to a crate so it'll just cry and whine itself to sleep. my pup is fearless and isnt scared of thunder or loud noises or airplanes flying over head or any other noises that could be associated with the flight. shipping an adult dog who doesnt have the strongest temperment would be different but with a pup i'd definitely do it again.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear there are climate controlled cabins. I was worried about that.
I guess I just feel bad that she has to tolerate a stressful trip over here.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I have had 2 pups shipped. First was perfectly smooth, no issues.

Second, the most recent, was a bit difficult. Pup missed first plane, had to change carriers, then plane was delayed, then at the layover, delayed again. Ended up arriving 6 hours later than expected. He charged out if his crate, peed, picked up a stick and started exploring. Pups are very very resilient. As long as its climate controlled I would not worry.

PS just met a woman with a Sapphire dog. She LOVES her sooo much and us very happy with her.

Good luck with your new baby!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! We've heard nothing but good things about Sapphire Sheps and I like her philosophy so I decided in that kennel even though it's very far from us.

I was mostly worried about the heat and the poor pup having to pee in the crate and sit in it for about 6 hours. I'm hoping it doesn't mess with potty training later.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Congratulations! We have a Sapphire Dog! Who is yours out of?
Ramona is GREAT! She even held off on the shots per our request! Doogan has more personality than any of the other 4 GSD's we've had! He dock dives, rides a jet ski, tubes, does agility, is an AWESOME tracker and loves kids!
You'd better get a new pair of tennis shoes! :laugh::D:laugh: These are active working dogs!
We flew to Ramona's farm in Mt. then rented a van and drove Doogan home, so we are not experienced with flying a dog in.
Here he is!
View attachment 95826
Send me a pm with a pic when you get your pup!
Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi I had great experience getting pup from Czech. All went smooth and my boy arrived after long 12 hours traveling and waiting for paperworks. He was all happy, this experience did not have any ill effect on him.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
We just had our pup shipped from Germany and she was fine (she had about 20 hours or so in the crate). At first she was unsure and didn't want to get out of the crate, but once she did she was fine! We brought food with us, water, regular towels, Nature's Miracle and paper towels for crate cleaning.

Congrats!

·
Registered
710 Posts
While the airplanes are climate controlled while they are in the air, they are not when sitting at the gate. That is why many airlines have heat restrictions. There is also the waiting time and traveling to and from the plane. I had to drive 10 hours to pick up a pup that was shipped internationally because the weather in Chicago was above 90 degrees.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a puppy shipped to me from Wisconsin at the end of June. She came from vom Gildaf. Anyway, her flight was delayed an hour and 30 minutes in Madison. Because of the delay she arrived in Atlanta late and we didn't know whether or not she'd get put on her flight to Springfield, MO. But, luckily the gates were close and the people at Delta got her on the plane very quickly. So, she made her flight and everything went well. We got really lucky with the weather as well. A cool down came just as she turned 8 weeks and was she able to be shipped out to us (it went from the 90s to the 70s).

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations! We have a Sapphire Dog! Who is yours out of?
Ramona is GREAT! She even held off on the shots per our request! Doogan has more personality than any of the other 4 GSD's we've had! He dock dives, rides a jet ski, tubes, does agility, is an AWESOME tracker and loves kids!
You'd better get a new pair of tennis shoes! :laugh::D:laugh: These are active working dogs!
We flew to Ramona's farm in Mt. then rented a van and drove Doogan home, so we are not experienced with flying a dog in.
Here he is!
View attachment 95826
Send me a pm with a pic when you get your pup!
Good Luck!:)
I'll admit I've searched the GSD forums for Sapphire Sheps and I came across your post about your handsome boy :) It's nice to see real life testimonials.
We got lucky and she's sending us first pick female because I plan to do some type of training. Looking at tracking, agility, dock diving, and lurecoursing :) Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the posts everyone! I feel a little reassured. I was expecting issues with the airlines, but I'm comforted that the temps have been pretty low this week.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Got my girl shipped in Feb, I was worried about it being too cold. After 6 hours or so, she came to me at the airport and it was amazing when they were rolling out her crate. I won't ever forget that day. She didn't pee or poop in her crate and wasn't shaken up at all :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my girl shipped in Feb, I was worried about it being too cold. After 6 hours or so, she came to me at the airport and it was amazing when they were rolling out her crate. I won't ever forget that day. She didn't pee or poop in her crate and wasn't shaken up at all :)

Awww :wub: I'm ok with a little pee and poop. I just can't wait to meet her!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts