German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Malik is now over 3 years old. He used to jump just fine up into the car (last year) and little by little, we had noticed he didn't want to anymore. When he did, he would hold up his rear left leg up for a minute or so (unless he got a treat :)
We decided to use his old ramp again, from when he was a puppy, but he never really got happy with that, would run up it so fast, he would whimper and hold his leg up each time. He was doing some obstacle jumping at that time, and we thought he might have hurt himself some (although no sign of limping).
The whole winter went by, we now loaded him up ourselves, 97lbs, yikes, front paws first, rear next, and that went ok, although with the ramp or us loading him up, he showed some real anxiety.
Recently I loaded him up and maybe tweaked his tail funny, he whimpered and now EACH TIME one of us loads him up, he gets stir crazy first, acts confused, anxious, tries to scramble up even if we make him stay, so he's just a basket case. I try to remain calm but it's hard.
I'm not sure how to retrain him to get in that car (Blazer, so higher edge). And a few days ago, my hb said he made him jump an obstacle and he started limping a tad and didn't want to run anymore. But he is fine now, even ran 4 miles today without a problem.
Are we missing something? Do we need to get him X-rayed? Is this just behavioral or both? If he is confused, so am I!
thanks for posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think that he's telling you in as many ways as he knows how that he is in pain - his anxiety reinforces this notion and let you know that he is worried about feeling that degree of pain again. I would get him to the vet right away as the pain has been going on for a while now.
Good luck.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1 - 3 of 3 Posts