German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not from my pup...from me. We're going out of town for the weekend & unfortunately I have to board JD for the weekend at the humane society. Place where we are staying doesn't accept animals.

For those of you who have done this, how have you dealt with it? He's 12 weeks, so it's not like he's a seasoned pup just yet.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
He is being boarded and the Humane Society? I have never heard of that. Personally I would NEVER do that. Especially with a puppy. Humane Societies are generally GERM RIDDEN and a 12 week old puppy is NOT totally protected from catching diseases. Have you checked with your vet to see if they board dogs?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have never heard of it either
I've boarded once and that was it. Never again
If I go anywhere they will be coming with me if they can't I will get a certified bonded sitter to stay with them

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I would be looking for a new vet.

Humans Societies are germ ridden and a 12 week old puppy would be VERY likely to catch something.
I would look for a boarding facility that requires dogs to be healthy and up to date on their shots.

Boarding a puppy (or any dog for that matter) at a Humane Society and expecting them stay healthy, is like sending a child to a day care that is held in a Doctors Office waiting room and expecting them to stay healthy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDI would be looking for a new vet.

Humans Societies are germ ridden and a 12 week old puppy would be VERY likely to catch something.
I would look for a boarding facility that requires dogs to be healthy and up to date on thier shots.
What about choosing a sitter? And how many times have you used them? I was checking around online for that and all I could find were the services that would stop by your home twice a day. That would be unacceptable for fme.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
then you aren't looking in the right place.

You don't have someone to stay at your place with the pup.
Or a friend/relative to take pup for the weekend?

I wouldn't put a 12 week puppy in a kennel or vet for boarding that is my personal opinion. I wouldn't go away .
Brady was a year old the 1st time I left him

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure this won't happen again for quite some time actually. Cause if we do go somewhere, they have to accept pets. We traveled away 3 weeks ago and brought him with, and he's very good in the car. Slept almost the whole way. Just woke us up when it was time for a potty break. Since we've recently moved, I don't have a friend or relative to watch him.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
JD's Dad, where are you located. If you go to the My Stuff link at the top of the page, then my profile you can put in your city & state or post it here. With some information we might be able to find a better solution that the Humane Society.

Val

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
i second what everyone else said. there are petsitters that stay the night and a good part of the day with your pup. they are alot more expensive but worth every penny. here in RI they range from $35-55/day.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I haven't used a sitter because I have dogs that will NOT allow that.

If I have to go somewhere, I have a friend that will let my dog out twice a day. (Wrangler goes with me ALWAYS. So it is only my 10yo female that stays home.) He also had to feed the horses twice a day. The dog has known him since she was a year old and we lived together for several years so she knows him well. But I could NOT use a sitting service.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: LandosMomi second what everyone else said. there are petsitters that stay the night and a good part of the day with your pup. they are alot more expensive but worth every penny. here in RI they range from $35-55/day.
which is worth it. They won't be stressed

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
12 weeks is very young. I'd be afraid the little guy would be scared to death at the very least. Most boarding kennels won't even take dogs that young because they still haven't finished their series of vaccinations. I think 6 months is the minimum age where I've taken my dog.

Do you have a good friend, relative? If not, find a good pet sitter that can handle the demands of a puppy. Not to sound harsh, but I think this is poor planning on your part to leave town with a puppy in the house.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: JD's Dad
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy Not to sound harsh, but I think this is poor planning on your part to leave town with a puppy in the house.
Duly noted

Have to agree Can't you cancel
The poor pup

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: littledmc
Originally Posted By: JD's Dad
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppy Not to sound harsh, but I think this is poor planning on your part to leave town with a puppy in the house.
Duly noted

Have to agree Can't you cancel
The poop pup
Unfortunately no...that's the reason I'm nervous is cause I dropped him off. I should've asked for suggestion from ya'll before I made the jump. For what it's worth, the facility looked clean when he was dropped off. Of course, that was at 7AM probably after the morning cleaning.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I still can't believe a facility took a pup that young
without having all his shots.
Hopefully he/she won't get any diseases and/or infections.

That breaks my heart

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
On man, can you go pick him back up? IMHO your pup is WAY TOO young to be boarded-has he even had all his shots-not is he up to date on his shots, but has he had all of them that will get him to the first year??? Did that include Bortatello (sp?) for kennel cough?? I'm sorry, but I would get my dog back IMMEDIATELY. What if he caught Parvo at the HS? There are sooo many germs there!!!! Is the breeder close?? Maybe he can go back to her/him for the time your gone. Also, if you took the pup out three weeks ago then he couldn't have had all his shots by then (he would have only been 9wks old). Please dont have your guy exposed this.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OMG thank you I would do that
Get the pup out

if you lived in MA I would take him

1 - 20 of 29 Posts