German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my GSD is male and he's just about 6 months. Potty training has been horrible. The vet finally diagnosed him a few weeks back with a UTI and crystals.

So, after a course of antibiotics and a special food, everything is looking good. Except my puppy still pees in the house and outside all the time!

We had a blood test done and everything looks fine. So my vet diagnosed him with severe anxiety.

Does anxiety make a dog pee in the house all the time? When I'm home? I constantly take him out and praise him. My Lab is 7 months and she was a breeze to train. She uses a bell to let me know when she has to go.

But he will go in his crate, on himself, everywhere!

If it is just anxiety, should I revert back to more crate training? Less free roam? My poor carpet has definitely seen better days.

I give him a cran supplement plus the new anxiety medication. Vet also said neutering may help

Anyone had anything similar?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Neutering will NOT help! :rolleyes: And with females, neutering too early will sometimes CAUSE incontinence problems/UTI's.

Your dog probably couldn't help but pee in his crate when he had the UTI and crystals, and now it has become a habit.
I really feel for you!

For really stubborn housetraining problems, I've heard of people leashing the dog to their waist, so it can't possibly pee in the house without them being aware, and rushing it outside. Of course, this is ONLY going to work if you can be home all the time during the day. I would also try setting an alarm clock and taking the dog out several times during the night to eliminate the crate peeing problem. Needless to say, do mega-party time/praise when he pees outside!

Edit: if you are using those stupid puppy pee pads, GET RID OF THEM! They encourage the dog to pee indoors!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you are not doing so make sure you clean any area the pup has pee'd in the house with an enzymatic cleaner. This includes his crate. They can smell where they have gone before and will continue to go in those spots if there is even a hint of their odor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I have been cleaning with an enzyme destroyer plus a steam cleaner. Never used pads with him, but I have put Male wraps on him to eliminate him getting urine all over.

I've consulted another vet who still thinks thisnis behavioural but I cant see how. He leaks when we are walking outside and when we get outside he doesn't even pee very much.

The next step is propalin to help strength his bladder. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am working through a similar issue with a 4-month old.

How often do you take him out? I have gone with a every two-hour schedule during the day. and six hours at night. If he ever goes within about 5 feet of the front door we go out.

How big is his space? I have borrowed baby gates to block off my living and dining room. I think the entire house was too overwhelming for him.

How about mental and physical stimulation. My boy either gets a 10-15 minute play session or training session every time he comes in. For his development level, that seems enough so that he is willing to settle down with a bone for a few minutes. Then he sleeps soundly until the next potty break.

It is a lot of work, but he is catching on quickly. Plus I would rather go out more than I need than spend time scrubbing the floor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am working through a similar issue with a 4-month old.

How often do you take him out? I have gone with a every two-hour schedule during the day. and six hours at night. If he ever goes within about 5 feet of the front door we go out.

How big is his space? I have borrowed baby gates to block off my living and dining room. I think the entire house was too overwhelming for him.

How about mental and physical stimulation. My boy either gets a 10-15 minute play session or training session every time he comes in. For his development level, that seems enough so that he is willing to settle down with a bone for a few minutes. Then he sleeps soundly until the next potty break.

It is a lot of work, but he is catching on quickly. Plus I would rather go out more than I need than spend time scrubbing the floor.
We go out every few hours. I cannot do the every hour anymore as I'm back in school. For the first 2 months I was. We go out about 8-15 times a day. And no matter how often i take him out he pees. If we come in, and 15 min later go to leave, he pees.

I have a small apartment and he's.primarily only in the living room and kitchen. Plus his crate at night and sometimes throughout the day.

Both outside and inside he gets plenty of exercise and stimulation. He can hold it for 8 hours all night. But then during the day it's like he can't.

I should add that as we head outside it's a battle between him and I to get there. He will make me pull him as he is peeing down the hall. I can't carry him because he's huge and he has peed on me in the past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update: seems the propalin is really helping! We are able to make it outside without any accidents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts