German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started putting Kaiser in the crate more (per the request of my trainer) to basically get him bored so he is more engaged when we train. Where Kaiser used to settle and chill in his crate, he is now getting very anxious, panting excessively, whining, barking, digging at the floor and pawing at the door. Same with the xpen.

I can't ignore him when he barks because im having a bit of a feud with my neighbor (I'm in an apartment) and she is looking for reasons to report me (she was the initial problem, now she is trying to get me back somehow). Plus, Kaiser had gotten over this stage already...prior to this stupid feud.

I don't want him stressed out of his mind, but how do I fix his anxiety while reminding him the crate or xpen aren't the end of the world?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think I am going to become the spokesperson for dogs who don't like confined spaces.

Been there, done that with Knuckles. The only solution I came to was his own - he busted the door and we had no other choice but to not lock him up. He goes in his crate now as he pleases (without a door) and his all around anxiety has decreased dramatically since then.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to become the spokesperson for dogs who don't like confined spaces.

Been there, done that with Knuckles. The only solution I came to was his own - he busted the door and we had no other choice but to not lock him up. He goes in his crate now as he pleases (without a door) and his all around anxiety has decreased dramatically since then.
Remember though, Kaiser never did this before and he still sleeps in his crate by his own choosing. I don't know if this anxiety is from being away from me or from being locked up when he isn't ready but either way its new and it's not ok. Not having a crate or xpen isn't an option either.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Is he only doing this if he's crated while you're home? I wonder if it's simply because it's changing his routine. Before this he was only crated while you were gone and at night?

With all the current changes going on with toys being taken away, structure reinforced, it might just be his way of putting his paw down and protesting

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is he only doing this if he's crated while you're home? I wonder if it's simply because it's changing his routine. Before this he was only crated while you were gone and at night?

With all the current changes going on with toys being taken away, structure reinforced, it might just be his way of putting his paw down and protesting
Correct...it is definitely a lot of change all at once! I've also noticed he is really becoming cat obsessive because I suppose she is the only thing that is exciting (I hate how focused he is on her and it takes several corrections before he even looks away, and that's only for a moment)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'd way up his exercise with you.

Have you heard about Susan Garrett's DVD 'Crate Games'? It would give you EXACTLY what you want (more handler focus) plus get a dog that's quiet in it's crate.

Crate Games

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Instead of crating him can you just tether him to you and kind of ignore him throughout your day so he's stuck just following you around all bored?

also this
"I can't ignore him when he barks" - is going to bite you in the butt later. You HAVE to ignore him when he barks. If the crate is making him bark, I wouldn't use the crate unless you know he will be quiet (since your neighbor will be mad), I would get him good and tired in the morning, tether him to you, and then train later in the day so he's bored and rested from his early morning playing. He might be anxious because he's hyper.

Judging by your signature he's really young - almost born in Feb, you can go easy on the training and making him engaged and just work on training with the crate games too, that's fun, etc. Practice some NILF - using playing outside as a reward for sitting at the door, etc.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kaiser was born last Jan. He is almost 16 months old.

I work during the day so this is going to have to be addressed soon. Am only home because of surgery a few months ago and will be going back to work next week.

Trainer wants the crate. Plus he used to be fine in it, so we need to get him back to that point. Really can't ignore him like I did when he was little because that will get me in trouble. I can ignore everything but not the barking. That's what resonates into the neighbors apartment.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Kaiser was born last Jan. He is almost 16 months old.

I work during the day so this is going to have to be addressed soon. Am only home because of surgery a few months ago and will be going back to work next week.

Trainer wants the crate. Plus he used to be fine in it, so we need to get him back to that point. Really can't ignore him like I did when he was little because that will get me in trouble. I can ignore everything but not the barking. That's what resonates into the neighbors apartment.

Omg SO SORRY LOL
I didn't notice 2012 not 2013, disregard!!! Everythinggggg is different now! my bad
:cry::crazy:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am in a similar situation where I cannot have Diesel barking his head off at me when in his crate neighbors will be very unhappy and turn us in as well. Trainer told me to not correct him verbally however to get a spray bottle and spray him when he barks. I cannot acknowledge the barking, I am not yelling at him, I am not touching him, and only look at him to aim. It has helped (especially with the cat walking by) He DOES know when I don't have the spray bottle in hand and will take full advantage of it.... We are down to just squirting him basically when the cat makes him bark now. He doesn't bark for attention any longer.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, basically nothing has gotten better and I've just been released to go back to work full time starting tomorrow.

crate games isn't the issue because he will joyfully go in and out of his crate or xpen on his own or if I ask him. He eats in there, sleeps and naps in there, and gets treats in there. The issue is me leaving. I'm confident that the last 4 months of me being home with him everyday has completely undone all the separation training I did from the beginning. He never had separation anxiety, but now it seems he does...to a point.

I was gone for 8 hours today. He broke out of the xpen (both latches and the safety hook were undone) and in doing so he totally tore up his nose/snout to the point where it was bloody and swollen. He's never gotten that "crazy" before. I have NO idea when he did it during the time I was gone, but when I walked in the door there he was, panting very heavily and anxious. Of course I completely ignored him...but I really need a way to fix this issue.

Help?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I don't know if I buy the reason behind the crating - from the trainer. I think checking out a website like Denise Fenzi's may give some different ideas on building that engagement. And honestly it seems like some dogs are more workmanlike and down to business than others so don't have a flashy look that says engagement, but they are totally with you.

But it sounds like regardless, he is going to be crated now during the day and is having trouble with that?

I agree on the exercising him before you go to work. Patricia McConnell has a a booklet on anxiety that is a protocol that you may want to check out on her Other End of the Leash site.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So, basically nothing has gotten better and I've just been released to go back to work full time starting tomorrow.

crate games isn't the issue because he will joyfully go in and out of his crate or xpen on his own or if I ask him. He eats in there, sleeps and naps in there, and gets treats in there. The issue is me leaving. I'm confident that the last 4 months of me being home with him everyday has completely undone all the separation training I did from the beginning. He never had separation anxiety, but now it seems he does...to a point.

I was gone for 8 hours today. He broke out of the xpen (both latches and the safety hook were undone) and in doing so he totally tore up his nose/snout to the point where it was bloody and swollen. He's never gotten that "crazy" before. I have NO idea when he did it during the time I was gone, but when I walked in the door there he was, panting very heavily and anxious. Of course I completely ignored him...but I really need a way to fix this issue.

Help?
Did he tear up anything once he got out?

I was told by my vet that the first 1/2 hour they are alone they are the most freaked out/destructive. I would give Knuckles a toy filled with peanut butter when I would leave to keep him occupied... it did work. It got to the point that one day I left and had forgotten about the peanut butter and when I returned home, he met me at the door with his toy. He hadn't destroyed anything, he just reminded me what I had forgotten :)

There is also something called Rescue Remedy that the vet gave me... it's a liquid that you can put on treats, give to them straight, put in water, etc. It is supposed to calm them down. I don't know if it was that or the peanut butter... I put the RR in the peanut butter. I also have used essential oils, Young Living has one called Peace & Calming that is safe for dogs. I rub it on his paws (and I also put Valor oil behind his ears), that helps too. The scent calms him. I use it when I know there are people coming over.

I agree with the questioning reason for the crate... I guess I don't understand where the trainer is coming from. Can't he get just as bored laying around the house, does he have to be locked up/stressed out?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All he tore up was a water bottle (which...is kind of normal for him, since he loves them--I just take them away before he turns them into confetti, which is what he did the other day). My place is kind of a mess right now, so he had many opportunities to get into MUCH worse things...

I think when he's out he focuses a lot of his attention on Dakota and the cat. He HAS shredded magazines and waterbottles in the past, as well as tearing into trash (which is now hidden). I haven't actually tried to work with him out of the crate when I leave unless he is VERY tired from activity. Now that I'm going back to work, I can certainly do a lot more with him (and work up to leaving him out again) but I've been home for the last 4 months with him every day with a shoulder injury. I realize its hard for him to just go back into a crate for long periods of time, and without me near him to boot, and I certainly don't want him to hurt himself! But at the same time, I don't trust him to be out of the crate for long hours right off the bat. AND the most unfortunate thing is that there is no time to work up to it during the week...only when I'm home during the weekend can I start working on leaving him again. This is quite frustrating :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
My boy has definite anxiety! I have the wire crate with two locks- we have to put a bolt of the door because he opens the bottom lock and somehow ( 7 months --82 pds) gets out. I only crate home when I'm not home. Usually I take him with me..so it isn't often.
I would leave him out but I have a one year old girl and don't trust the both home without supervision..they play rough. Lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My boy has definite anxiety! I have the wire crate with two locks- we have to put a bolt of the door because he opens the bottom lock and somehow ( 7 months --82 pds) gets out. I only crate home when I'm not home. Usually I take him with me..so it isn't often.
I would leave him out but I have a one year old girl and don't trust the both home without supervision..they play rough. Lol

I hope the 1 year old girl is a dog not a kid. If it is a dog, do you crate her? If yes, maybe you can put crates close to one another. Can you lock them in separate rooms?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

Help?

I feel your pain...mine is an escape artist too. He's only done it three times, first two times no problems, third time he was a tornado and got into everything. I was thinking about setting up a video camera to see what goes on when I'm not home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts