German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been around here for a while now, participating in the forums and such. But I don't have a GSD... yet! I visited my pup again yesterday for the second time. He is just under 4 weeks now, so another 4-5 weeks to go. The breeder usually does her vet visits on wednesdays so I'll probably be getting him the week after he turns 8 weeks old on April 20th. But thats so far away! I've been patient enough (2 years since I decided on a shepherd and decided now the time is right).

Just need somewhere to vent about how excited I am! People I know are like "shut up already Derek, we get it, you are excited" but I can't stop talking or thinking about it.

I work from home everyday (and have so for 2 years now) so I get pretty lonely! My main interaction is with people through email and IM and with my fiancee when i pick her up at 7-8:30 every night. This shepherd is going to save my life and keep me sane :D

5 weeks is so long! Need something to pass the time haha. :D:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Our puppy will be two weeks old tomorrow and I can't stop thinking about him or talking about him. I know people think I'm crazy but I don't care.:) The only thing is, our puppy is 300 miles from us and I can't go visit until the day we go pick him up. I'm right there with you Derek. Seems like every other sentence that comes out of my mouth is "Xeric". That will be our new boy's name.:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome! Congrats on finding a little guy to take home! It's been a rough road and I'm sure making a decision wasn't easy for either of us, but the first hurdle of finding a pup that you love is over. Yeah people think I'm insane as well cause everything that comes out of my mouth is about the pup. What an awesome name by the way, first time I've ever heard that name actually.

Our boy's name is going to be "Adobe" (ah-dough'-bee) named after the reddish-brown clay. Funny thing is I work in digital media (websites and advertising and what not) and all the industry standard software I use is made by Adobe, but I swear to you, I did not name my dog after that company haha.

(Our second dog, if we ever end up getting one, and if its a girl will be named Lacey :) but that probably won't happen because I'm greedy and want the dog to cling to me more than another dog haha)

Do you have pics of Xeric or the parents? Post them up if you do!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
congrats to both of you on your new upcoming puppies...my advice, get all the sleep ya can now:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's awesome! Congrats on finding a little guy to take home! It's been a rough road and I'm sure making a decision wasn't easy for either of us, but the first hurdle of finding a pup that you love is over. Yeah people think I'm insane as well cause everything that comes out of my mouth is about the pup. What an awesome name by the way, first time I've ever heard that name actually.

Our boy's name is going to be "Adobe" (ah-dough'-bee) named after the reddish-brown clay. Funny thing is I work in digital media (websites and advertising and what not) and all the industry standard software I use is made by Adobe, but I swear to you, I did not name my dog after that company haha.

(Our second dog, if we ever end up getting one, and if its a girl will be named Lacey :) but that probably won't happen because I'm greedy and want the dog to cling to me more than another dog haha)

Do you have pics of Xeric or the parents? Post them up if you do!
You're right. The decision was tough. We wanted a reputable breeder and looked for months before we found one we really liked. We drove the almost 600 miles roundtrip to visit with them and their dogs. We loved what we saw and they were great about answering our questions. We actually put a deposit down on another litter they were planning but when the dam whelped, she had 8 puppies and they were all females and we wanted a male. Our breeder was great. He offered us our deposit back or said we could transfer it to another litter. We chose to transfer because we liked their dogs and their accomplishments so much. So, we've been waiting for over 5 months for this litter.

I love the name you've chosen for your puppy. It's different and that's what I like. Lacey was the name of the dam we had the first deposit on. I like that one too.

Xeric is prounounced (Zeric like Eric) I had never heard it either. Guess that's why I like it so much.:)

Here's a picture of the sire
VA2 (USA 2010) Jaro von Avenir - German shepherd dog

Here's the dam.
V Xandra von Schneiden Fels - German shepherd dog

Here's one of the puppies after they were born. Should be getting some new ones soon.

Schneiden Fels German Shepherds - Jaro and Xandra Pups

Do you have pictures of your puppy, his sire and dam? Would love to see them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Congratulations to you both! I am also getting my new pup on the 28th and it seems like FOREVER! The sire and dam of your pup are gorgeous! I'm sure you will be very happy with your pick! I've picked the name Achilles for my little guy. I have an almost 18 mos old female LC, and we wanted a male when we found her, but there were none available. I had the name picked out way back then. Now that she is ready to be spayed, we are finally able to get our male. Can't wait to bring him home! GSD's are the most amazing breed and training and witnessing their sheer intelligence is the funnest part!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Congrats! I think we all know that feeling of waiting for a new pup, but yes sleep now as it is like having a baby in the house.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh now you've done it!! I want a puppy so much, but I'm going to wait a while, I'll just have to look at pictures you two post. I also work from home so I have to warn you, get caught up on all the work you can now-- it's so hard to stay focused on it when you've got that cute little fuzz ball running around. Congratulations to both of you!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks everyone!:D

Luckily, I'm a stay at home puppy mom so I'll get to spend lots of time with our new fuzzball.

Stosh, you know the more you look, the more you'll want one.:D May as well start looking now. :D:gsdhead:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congratulations to you both! I am also getting my new pup on the 28th and it seems like FOREVER! The sire and dam of your pup are gorgeous! I'm sure you will be very happy with your pick! I've picked the name Achilles for my little guy. I have an almost 18 mos old female LC, and we wanted a male when we found her, but there were none available. I had the name picked out way back then. Now that she is ready to be spayed, we are finally able to get our male. Can't wait to bring him home! GSD's are the most amazing breed and training and witnessing their sheer intelligence is the funnest part!
You too?:D Congratulations!!:D Do you have any pictures to share?:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the congrats! And Tihannah, congrats to you as well. Glad I'm not the only one on this boat :)

gsdowned, those are absolutely beautiful dogs! Post up more pics when you do get them :D

These dogs are all east german working line. Here are some pics I took when I visited them last week at 3 weeks old. I visited yesterday as well but didn't take pics this time around.

Sorry these pics just don't do the dogs justice at all. But then again, they never do do they?

Dam, was very excited so hard to get a good snapshot:

She was digging for chicken she had buried there the previous day. She buried it pretty deep!

Sire (I didn't take this one, I couldn't get a good shot of him at all since it was all snowy outside and hes black. My camera exposure couldn't capture his features haha)

This next image is what Teri said he will probably look like as far as markings as a puppy:

And last but not least, the 3 week old sleepy puppy himself :)

:):):)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Congratulations!

What you could do to pass the time is start preparations! Buy plenty of toys, gates, and everything!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Gorgeous dogs! I just love your new puppy!:D Momma looks like a super sweetheart and the sire looks so regal. Can't wait to see pictures when you get Adobe home. You guys will all get yours before I do so I will have to live vicariously through you for a while. ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congratulations!

What you could do to pass the time is start preparations! Buy plenty of toys, gates, and everything!
That's what I've been doing.:) Already have my crates and gates from when we brought Mia home. You can never have enough toys though. :D;) I'll keep buying those until hubby says enough is enough. LOL! Nah, that wouldn't work anyway.:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Congratulations!

Already ahead of you :D Thank god for amazon prime. Already got a play pen for when he's a puppy as well. I'm gonna need some extension pieces after like 2 months. And then after 6 I'm sure he will be able to jump over and I hope he is ready to be out of a crate and/or pen area by then while I only keep a loose eye on him.

Anyone know if those chew guard toys are any good by the way?

Gorgeous dogs! I just love your new puppy!:D Momma looks like a super sweetheart and the sire looks so regal. Can't wait to see pictures when you get Adobe home. You guys will all get yours before I do so I will have to live vicariously through you for a while. ;)
Thanks! She is super sweet heart. Funny story is the first breeder I went to and fell in love with had this dog she wasn't breeding yet. His name was Rollie. I fell in love with him I was going to plan a heist and steal him haha. When the litter I was waiting on didn't take, I found Teri who had Rollie's sister (they look identical except in size) and they are both soooo sweet. And of course that is the mother of Adobe!

I will definitely keep you posted to help you pass the time haha :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh now you've done it!! I want a puppy so much, but I'm going to wait a while, I'll just have to look at pictures you two post. I also work from home so I have to warn you, get caught up on all the work you can now-- it's so hard to stay focused on it when you've got that cute little fuzz ball running around. Congratulations to both of you!
Hah! Yeah, been trying to get everything done ahead of schedule in prep for those first few weeks with the pup. What do you do that allows you to work from home?

hang in there. we'll keep you company.
working from home is so great for the pup.
Thanks! nice to talk to people who know what it is like/have gone through it all before haha

1 - 20 of 49 Posts